Community meeting on IRC 12th January 2023

Schedule: Thursday 2023-01-12T08:00:00Z   :world_map:   :date:

The first meeting of the new year :fireworks:, please bring your questions and join us if you can!

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

* Name/IRC nick:
* Topic:
* Some details about the topic:
* Approx. time needed:
* Substitute (optional):

Open Pull Requests:
If you have, or know of, a pull request that’s been open for at least 3 weeks, but which you think deserves attention, please add a comment using the template below and we’ll consider it during the next meeting.

* Name/IRC nick:
* Open PR URL:

1 Like

• Name/IRC nick: inte/inte

• Topic: VoWIFI support

• Some details about the topic:
    Most (if not all) mobile networks which have implemented VoLTE do also support VoWIFI, which is a very usefuk feature especially in areas with poor indoor coverage (but good WiFi reception) or to avoid roaming costs. Implementation would probably be easy at least for the Xperia 10ii/iii, as these phones already support VoLTE and the voice channel only needs to be routed through the Wifi interface instead of the LTE connection (hopefully)

• Approx. time needed:
    Maybe 5 min?

• Substitute (optional):
    Unfortunately I may not make it to the meeting (I will try though!). Thanks!

5 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: thigg
  • Topic: background services and unified push
  • Some details about the topic: e.g. native messaging apps are not very convenient to use on sfos because they do not run in the background. 1) are there any advances made towards supporting background services in sfos? Is this just a harbour problem or are we lacking infrastructure in the os, or are we lacking concepts or is it just not used very much? 2) Are there plans for something like a unified push client that could be used to wake up apps in background? (or maybe just send a notification for now?)
  • Approx. time needed: 10
  • Substitute (optional): discuss without me if i cant make it.
4 Likes

Untracked bug reports

ID Comments Additional Information
8943 Only when a link is opened on a native app. Android doesn’t provide Tiny Tiny RSS as browse.
9690 Looks like a feature request.
10004 Duplicate of 6015
8745 Link to the article point to the wrong page. Should be https://docs.sailfishos.org/Support/Help_Articles/Android_App_Support/#settings-of-android-apps?

To be closed

ID Reason
13018 Not a bug.
13651 Marked as solved by the user.
12983 can be closed, as it is a duplicate of 11546
12997 Can be marked as solved, as it is a hardware bug.
7364 Should be fixed.
8242 Bug is fixed.
9054 Is fixed
9263 Is now fixed
9305 Solved by the user.
9306 Seems fixed as I’m unable to reproduce it
9313 Can be ignored
9301 I suspect he speaks about an unofficial application. In any case this bug report can be closed.
2681 Old bug report, can be ignored
9338 It’s a feature. Not a bug.
9370 Fixed with upgrade.
7839 To clarify, but this bug may be closed.
2688 Missing tag tracked.
9473 I’m not able to reproduce it. Can be marked as fixed.
9504 It’s a feature, not a bug.
7710 Not a bug report. Close it.
9566 Missing tag tracked.
9722 Seems fixed.
9678 Missing tag tracked.
8529 Not related to Sailfish OS.
8603 Related to 8173
9804 Seems to be fixed.
9910 Seems fixed as I’m unable to fix it.
9909 Seems not related to Sailfish OS.
9958 Not related to Sailfish OS.
9925 Missing tag fixed.

Duplicate

ID Duplicate with
9027 Duplicate of 6283
5746 Duplicate of 2596. Both fixed or at least not reproducible anymore.
11074 Duplicate of 11038 and both should be fixed.
9092 Seems a duplicate of 9000
10804 Duplicate of 6283
5095 Duplicate of 11352
13812 Duplicate of 9245
4 Likes

Here are some news and info for @flypig. This list is now automatically generated and the code is here.

Don’t worry if there are too many bugs, prioritize untracked bugs and I’ll automatically provide the bugs you couldn’t manage at the next meeting.

5 Likes

Regarding Browser says about:blank is 'not secure', it isn’t fixed, the warning triangle is still displayed in the address bar when you enter about:blank.

1 Like

Oh, I misunderstood it. I change the category.

Thanks for the list as always @pherjung. I managed to get through all of the untracked bugs, but only the first few of the remainder I’m afraid… I was a little overwhelmed :wink: But, if you could please move the remaining ones on to the next as you suggest, that would be great.

2 Likes

Meeting ended Thu Jan 12 09:28:45 2023 UTC.
Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 12th January 2023
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2023/sailfishos-meeting.2023-01-12-08.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

Thanks for the great questions, and to everyone who participated in the meeting today. Really nice discussion as always.

In a diversion from our usual schedule, the next meeting will be in three weeks time (but then back to every two weeks after that).

09:14:36 flypig I wrote in 2022-10-13: I’d like to bring up again network switching, which has always been a pain specially for Android applications running under SFOS. I know people that for this reason just don’t use wifi on SFOS, at all. Are long-term solutions for this problem being worked on?

I am one of these people that has bascially abandonned wifi on my XA2 Plus:
Being connected to wifi and then leaving wifi range basically leaves me with no connectivity - as mobile data has been disabled.
It will return on a device restart, but i can’t be bothered to restart the phone every time i leave the house.