E-scooter apps like Lime, Bird, Tier, Bolt, etc

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: german
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

E-scooter apps are not working. There is no map shown.

PRECONDITIONS:

I activated GPS , which only stays active when i let the GPSInfo app open in the background.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install one of those apps
  2. activate GPS, keep GPSInfo opened to not lose signal
  3. open e-scooter app

EXPECTED RESULT:

On android 11 i saw the map of my city and could find the nearest scooter.

ACTUAL RESULT:

There is no map. Only Lime works with tricks. i find the scooter with google maps and can still activate the scooter in the app. But still no map shown in Lime itself.

This problem is caused by missing Google cloud services in AppSupport I guess. Some applications rely on that. I would guess that the same problem exists even on unofficial Android builds.

You may try to install google cloud servives on Sailfish when you dont care about its license and its telemetry send back to Google.

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

Where can i find these google cloud services? The only thing i can find in the stores is a google cloud console for managing VMs in the google cloud.

I recommend using MicroG instead of the Google Services to show the map.

1 Like

I tried microG already, it did not help with the escooter apps. Or can anyone confirm that one of the mentioned apps worked with it?

I use a bike app with microg and it works for me. Geolocation is needed on this app and it use maps of Google, however on my phone, mapbox maps are shown instead.

Do you have all permissions enabled on microg?
Did you installed geolocation services on microg?

1 Like

I was unable to test Lime and Bird with MicroG as it requires me to create an account first. Tier shows me the map just fine.

1 Like

Ok, wow, then i have to try it again. Thank you both for confirming that it works on your Phone.

For me only the logo changed from google to mapbox, but there was still no map.