Terminal truncates lines on device rotation

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100 %
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Sony Xperia XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German (de-de)
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No, I am experiencing this bug since many releases now…

DESCRIPTION:

The native terminal app truncates its content on device rotation, i.e. multiple lines disappear after a rotation.
This does not just happen for the case where the terminal app is open (i.e. in foreground) but also if the app is in background.

PRECONDITIONS:

The native Jolla Terminal app must be installed, this requires to activate the developer tools in the settings.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open the Terminal app in portrait format
  2. Execute the following command: printf 'Line %d\n' $(seq 50)
  3. Rotate the device into landscape format
  4. Rotate the device back into portrait format

EXPECTED RESULT:

The whole content - i.e. the 50 lines in this example - is being preserved on device rotation.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The terminal’s content is being truncated, in this example there will be 20 missing lines after the device rotation.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Screenshot (actions visualised from left to right):

4 Likes

Can confirm on Xperia 10 II

I changed the line numbers to just 20, rotated the device and back again, line numbers were reduced to just 3!

Slightly different story on Jolla1, output is still corrupted but upon turning back to portrait from landscape, the line count is still essentially correct.

Oh wow, what weird kind of bug did you find now? :face_with_monocle:

Never noticed this. Until now.
But what even more strange is (and reason I did not notice this earlier) this only happens if you start the command in portrait orientation.
If you start in landscape (my preferred terminal orientation) this does not occur.

@edz do we have a bug report for the corrupted output after switching orientation (it is definitely another story)

Not that I know of. I was just reinforcing the OP’s question by checking out the problem, but ultimately I don’t use terminal on device, well rarely anyway. Usually I just connect to my PC, as keyboard and 24" monitor are much easier to use/see ô¿ô

1 Like

I observe, that the keyboard is laid over the terminal-output on a Xperia 10 III, 4.5.0.19, which is confusing at times.
Can this be tracked by Jolla, if it is not the desired behavior?

That is intended (default behaviour), you can change it by going into the menu and see some options there.

Thanks, I could change that.

Confirmed, and both literm and toeterm show the same.

Also bash and busybox behave slightly differently, with bash showing the missing lines below the prompt, bb not at all.