[4.4.0.64] XPERIA 10 III Backup restore fails -> Notes can not be restored

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: EN (UK)
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

I have tried to restore a backup done with my XA2 into the X10III, and when it comes to the Notes, it fails. Due to the structure of the backup files, the folders before notes (calendar, galley, accounts…) appear to be properly restored. However, the folders after notes, are not restored.

I tried to restore a backup done to the sd card, i.e. including gallery files and also with the onedrive light-weight variant. Same problem on both sides.

Pretty annoying since I can live without the noted, but not without the contact (people) list…

PRECONDITIONS:

Freshly flashed X10III.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Generate Backup to OneDrive or SD card in old phone.
  2. Try to restore one of both in the new phone.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Everything sould be restored.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Only folders before “Notes” are restored. Notes fails, and the subsequent folders are not restored.

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

1 Like

There’s an issue with restoring backups from old installations with nemo as the username to new ones with default user.

Try doing what this user did:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot, it worked!!

1 Like

Hi. Just tried to install my new XPERIA 10 III including a backup from my XPERIA X. Now I´m frustrated as I finally managed to get Sailfish OS on the new device, but I don´t manage to get it operational due to the restore of the backup from the XPERIA X stopping at the Notes and leaving out Notes and everything what would come next.
Great that you found a workaround for this behaviour. I understood the principle behind your workaroundt, but unfortunately I´m not confident enough to “just try it out”, as I´m not a techi. :confused: - Would it maybe be possible that someone posts a step by step instruction for non-techis? - I know how to get into developer mode and where to find the terminal app, but apart from this… well… Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

1. Launch the terminal app
  2. type
    devel-su
    and enter the password you created when setting up developer mode
  3. type
    ln -s /home/defaultuser /home/nemo
    for clarity that is a lower case “L” in “ln”
  4. perform restore
  5. type
    rm /home/nemo
4 Likes

:star_struck: Many, many thanks. You made my day. It worked like a charme. :grinning:

1 Like

Great, restoring backup on my 10 iii worked !

Just for info, this but report is a duplicate of the following, which has the same root cause (the switch from nemo to defaultuser):

To avoid the topic getting split in tow, I’ll close this topic so that future discussion can continue on the earlier bug report. However, if anyone thinks this is a mistake, please let me know and I can open it again.