[Xperia 10 II] Re-flashing doesn't work: getvar:secure FAILED (remote: 'GetVar Variable Not found')

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68 / debian bullseye
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: No idea

DESCRIPTION:

I’ve installed Sailfish yesterday and am now running into some issues I want to see if a reset can fix. Reflashing fails, apparantly because fastboot no longer gives a specific variable.

PRECONDITIONS:

Sailfish X is already flashed to the device

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install Sailfish X on the device
  2. Try to flash again
  3. Get the error

EXPECTED RESULT:

Re-flashing works

ACTUAL RESULT:

Re-flashing fails

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Flash utility v1.2
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash…
Found XQ-AU52, serial:XXXXXXXXX, baseband:, bootloader:
Found matching device with serial XXXXXXXXXX
Fastboot command: fastboot -s XXXXXXXXXX

fastboot -s QV710R0P3A getvar secure
<< getvar:secure FAILED (remote: ‘GetVar Variable Not found’)

OK. so I thought that maybe this was an issue that flashing is only possible when the device has Android installed, so I reflashed Android using newflasher and then tried to flash Sailfish again.

I’m running into the same issue there. It seems there is something going on with fastboot. If I run the fastboot command myself it works:

fastboot -s XXXXXXXXXX getvar secure

But then if I run it again, it’ll fail at some point and the phone reboots. This is likely what happens during the flash script, which is why it fails to flash.

Sounds like you have the infamous USB3 problem (like so many others).

You’re a lifesaver! I had already tried different cables, but hadn’t thought to try another port. Switched to a different port and now it seems to be working.

No worries, but please consider searching first.
There are now 14 search hits for “getvar:secure FAILED” seemingly across as many threads.

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to resolve this. I’m going to close the topic as it’s resolved, but if anyone wants to add more discussion to it, please message me and I can open it again.