[4.3.0] [4.2.0] Can't pair Bluetooth to device asking PIN code

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE: X10II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: Yes; at least in 4.1 and/or 4.0 pairing was possible

DESCRIPTION:

I have a Ford Audio system (by Sony), which pairs Bluetooth devices by showing a changing PIN code on the HUD during the pairing process. This worked with 4.0.0 (possibly with 4.1.0, too, but not with 4.2.0 nor 4.3.0. I can’t pair the audio system, because the phone never asks for the PIN code, but the process errors out instead.

PRECONDITIONS:

1. Have a device that pairs with a changing PIN code
  2. Remove the existing pairing information

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

• Search for Bluetooth devices from the phone
  • Find the device and start pairing
  • PIN code is shown on the other device

EXPECTED RESULT:

• The phone asks for the PIN code shown
  • PIN is entered
  • Pairing is completed

ACTUAL RESULT:

• Phone doesn’t ask for the PIN code (it just spins)
  • The process timeouts

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I was able to pair the audio system using bluez5-tools after which the GUI can be used to disconnect and connect the device.

1 Like

I get a similar response when trying to pair my e-mtb to my Xperia 10 ii. It fails immediately and gives this error notification;

“Problem with pairing authentication. The passcodes did not match” - I never got asked for a code.

It seems everything I own, will not and does not pair with anything running Sailfish, headphones/laptop/gps/and more. Sad, especially with the feeling most of it will likely never get fixed.

You must use Bluetoothctl via terminal . this works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the workaround seems to be in many places :slight_smile:

For me, the only issue is this, and during 4.1 and 4.2 my JBL speaker and headphones, but they, uh, work. Let’s not go into call audio quality in this thread :joy:

My JBL speakers also pair without issue with 4.3. For what it’s worth. But I don’t recall entering a PIN, ever.