[Release notes] Sauna 4.6.0.15

Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.

Version history of the OS release

• 2024-05-20: OS version 4.6.0.11 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update.
  • 2024-06-06: OS version 4.6.0.12 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update. See the brief release notes of 4.6.0.12.
  • 2024-06-13: OS version 4.6.0.13 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update.
  • 2024-06-19: OS version 4.6.0.13 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Installable images are available in the Jolla Shop.
  • 2024-09-20: OS version 4.6.0.15 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Installable images are available.

Stop release

Release 4.6.0.15 is a Stop release. Only devices with this release can be updated to Sailfish OS 5.0.

Device models supported by Sailfish X

New devices

• Support for Xperia 10 IV (XQ-CC54) and Xperia 10 V (XQ-DC54) was added, both with the Android 14 base. However, only the free trial Sailfish versions are available. Download them from this repository. Android AppSupport and the Sailfish licence are not yet available.
  • Support for the double-SIM variants XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72 will be rolled out later.

NOTE:
There are known issues with the trial versions of the new Xperias, including:

• Camera is disabled
  • Fingerprint detection does not work on Xperia 10 V
  • Battery status doesn’t update (it does by restarting the phone) on Xperia 10 V
  • eSIM is disabled
  • Avoid using the Flight mode as the phone loses the SIM card
  • Restarting the phone may last up to 2 minutes
  • Reflashing Sailfish again (the 2nd time) does not work with the flashing script, instead, the following set of manual commands shall be used - invoke them in your Sailfish directory:
$ fastboot devices
$ fastboot flash boot_a hybris-boot.img
$ fastboot flash boot_b hybris-boot.img
$ fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
$ fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img
$ fastboot flash userdata sailfish.img001
$ fastboot flash oem_a *_v3a_murray.img   ## for Xperia 10 IV (XQ-CC54)
$ fastboot flash oem_a *_v3a_zambezi.img  ## for Xperia 10 V (XQ-DC54)
$ fastboot reboot

Alternatively, revert the phone to Android with the Emma flashing tool and install Sailfish OS with the flashing script in the normal way.

Supported devices

The supported Sailfish X devices are listed in this table.

This is the last release for the following products: Jolla Tablet, Jolla C, Xperia X and, Gemini PDA.

Installation instructions

The instructions for installing Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia XA2, Xperia 10, Xperia 10 II (mark 2), and Xperia 10 III (mark 3) devices are here - covering Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.

The instructions for the new products Xperia 10 IV (mark 4) and Xperia 10 V (mark 5) are available as PDF files in this repository.

This document explains what the Sailfish X licence is. It does not yet cover the upcoming subscription model.

Release highlights

The list below contains bug fixes added to Sailfish OS, compared to the previous public release 4.6.0.13. All Sailfish OS release notes can be found here .

AppSupport & Connectivity

• Several fixes to ensure a smooth transition between WiFi and mobile networks for Android apps:
    • Make not being able to read the network stats non-fatal
    • Add networks to WifiConfigManager to avoid some errors
    • Disable scan-only mode to avoid network breakage when WiFi is disconnected
    • Prevent a timeout when removing the network
  • Opening Android apps from the app grid was fixed
  • Android Webview updated to version 119.0.6045.141
  • Permissions of ~/android_storage fixed

Xperia X

• Fingerprint service fixed

Xperia XA2 and Xperia 10

• Partition opt2 was created to allow for more space for AppSupport on Sailfish 5.0.0 (but only if the partition is not already used).

Sailfish OS Forum: issues reported by the community fixed in this update

Technical changes

The detailed changelog is here.

Updating your device

By installing this update you accept the updated The Sailfish OS End User License Agreement.

The usual update process

Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account.

Start the update from “Settings > Sailfish OS updates”. Please avoid running updates on the command line.

We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space for your device’s internal storage ( /home ) before starting the update. Processing an OS update of almost 1 GB requires a good amount of work area. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or your PC or cloud service).

This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:

Back up your data before an attempt to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is being processed. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. The device screen may get blank during the update process; you may wake the display with a short power key press to monitor the progress.

For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Sailfish OS Documentation.

NOTE 1:

Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.

NOTE 2:

After downloading an update and selecting “Install” in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. You must type the security code before the installation can start. A horizontal progress bar appears on a black background, under the Sailfish OS logo. When the other end of the bar has been reached the phone will restart automatically. If it doesn’t, please wait for 15 minutes. If it is still stuck at the 100% point of the progress bar it is time to perform forced power off . Next, turn the phone on with the power key and check the OS version at “Settings > About product”.

NOTE 3:

The Jolla Shop has the images of the latest OS release only. Keep the previously downloaded ones stored on your computer if you should want to reflash one of them later on.

Notification concerning apps from Open Repos

• Compatibility with the release 4.6.0.15 has not been verified yet. Please report.

Some apps from Open Repos have been reported to cause problems when installing OS updates. Read the recent comments on those apps.

• Call recorder has caused serious problems. We recommend uninstalling that app before the OS update. Read this comment, please.

How did the upgrade go?

• I had no issues during the upgrade process
  • I had small issues but was able to handle them
  • I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)
  • I did not dare or want to update

0 voters

Help articles

The Sailfish OS help articles are available at Sailfish OS Documents repository.

18 Likes

Release on Friday :hushed: (20 characters)

7 Likes

This is the first time, I didn’t have to fix the avatars in the contacts app after an update/upgrade
:clap:

5 Likes

Xperia XA2 and Xperia 10
Partition opt2 was created to allow for more space for AppSupport on Sailfish 5.0.0

What is actually executed here? I hope it does not claim /dev/mmcblk0p78 (system_a) on my Xperia XA2, because I already added that space to my root partition.

Edit: yup, it is that partition. Great, now every filesystem tinkerer can’t update. Jolla could have thought of that in advance and provide a workaround (or do they expect people to reflash?).

Edit 2 Update works fine via cli, /opt2 is just not created if the partition is already used

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: a very nice message - our new Xperias can enjoy sailfish (the first public image). I have to wait because my XQ-DC72 will get the image later. but I’m very happy to see a next step!
Have a nice weekend

2 Likes

One important question @jovirkku! Do we have to revert browser from ESR91, before OS upgrade?

3 Likes

Congratulations Jolla and thank you very much. My Sony Xperia 10 IV is now running happily SFOS 4.6.0.15.

6 Likes

@jovirkku, is the release of flashable images for the XQ-DC72 imminent? Can you share anything on the timetable for this?
Thanks very much,

1 Like

Is anything imminent with Jolla? :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, I do not have any timetable to share.
I’ll do my best to remind of this task.

5 Likes

Thanks for the libhybris update :smiley:

@jovirkku am I correct that /opt2 was adding by mounting system_a ? In that case I think I would warn people that enlarged their root partition using this method Use the space from a u... | SailfishOS community wiki that it will not start the installation, but display “Sailfish OS could not be updated. Please try again later” on reboot (and will correctly reboot into the previous version).

4 Likes

Answering my own question… no we don’t.

3 Likes

I do not know the answer but I’ll try to find it. I have not tested ESR91 on 4.6.0.
I know of one guy who installed the 4.6.0.15 update to a phone having the test version of ESR91. No problems arose.

5 Likes

And now you know two. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for this! Will be exciting when the images are released.

Yes, the changelog states this:
[configs] Add /opt2 mount for system_a partition.

How much space does this change claim? I don’t use and have no plans to use Android layer in SFOS.

Usually this partition is unused. If you did not add it to the home partition manually this does not impact your available space

Update went fine on Xperia 10 (Testphone) from 4.6.0.13 (with what the phone was flashed) to 4.6.0.15 .
I deinstalled File Browser, Storeman and Chum, updated and rebooted a second time.

Then reinstalled File Browser and Chum sucessfully.
Storeman installer starts but installs no Storeman app.
(All) edit: most of my tweaks were gone but phone works.
The Phone remembers the old network configuration, that is very fine and wasn’t always so in the past!
Missing Storeman is a serious trouble, but I hope and am sure this will be fixed soon.
So anyway #1 (no issues) in the survey.

Thank you very much Jollyboys!

edit: after ssu re 4.6.0.13 it was possible to reinstall Storeman, and when ready, ssu re to switch back again.

2 Likes

Can we later separate download the new browser version ESR91 to this (old?) devices when the ESR91 version is ready w/o installing SFOS 5 ?

1 Like

Xperia 10 IV, Android 14, unlocked bootloader, flash script ended with an error:

$ sudo ./flash.sh
Flash utility v1.2
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash..
Found XQ-CC54, serial:, baseband:, bootloader:
Found matching device with serial XXXXXXXXX
Fastboot command: fastboot -s XXXXXXXXX
>> fastboot -s XXXXXXXXX getvar secure
<< getvar:secure                                      FAILED (remote: 'GetVar Variable Not found')

What could be the problem?

EDIT: resolved, @direc85 helped me Xperia 10 IV flash 4.6.0.15 faulty - #7 by direc85