Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.
Table of content
Update version history
- 2020-09-29: 184.108.40.206 was released to Early Access subscribers.
- 2020-10-08: 220.127.116.11 was released to Early Access subscribers. Fixed: Google calendar sync of all-day events, starting Android App Support after OS update, showing WLAN networks after OS update, Jolla1 connection to Bluetooth headset and SD card encryption. Package ‘python3-sqlite’ added. And more.
- 2020-10-13: 18.104.22.168 was released to all users as on over-the-air update. The flashable images for Xperia and Gemini are available, too.
Size of update
The download size of the update depends on the device type and on the OS version currently in the device. Some typical values below < to be added >:
- Jolla 1 from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0: about 440 MB
- Jolla C from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0: about 510 MB
- Xperia X from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0: about 480 MB
- Xperia XA2 from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0: about 670 MB
- Xperia 10 from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0: about 680 MB
Device models supported by Sailfish X
The instructions for installing Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia X, Xperia XA2 and Xperia 10 devices are here - covering Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.
Read this, please, to learn about the Sailfish X licence.
The supported Sony Xperia 10 models are:
- 10 single-SIM: I3113 and I3123
- 10 dual-SIM: I4113 and I4193
- 10 Plus single-SIM: I3213 and I3223
- 10 Plus dual-SIM: I4213 and I4293
The supported Sony Xperia XA2 models are:
- XA2 single SIM H3113 (also H3123, H3133)
- XA2 dual SIM H4113 (also H4133)
- XA2 Ultra single SIM H3213 (also H3223)
- XA2 Ultra dual SIM H4213 (also H4233)
- XA2 Plus single SIM H3413
- XA2 Plus dual SIM H4413 (also H4493)
The supported Sony Xperia X models are X single SIM F5121 and X dual SIM F5122
The supported Gemini PDA models are x25 and x27.
Contributions from Aurora OS
Several of the key improvements in this release were developed in collaboration with Open Mobile Platform for Aurora OS.
Here are some of the key features contributed by Open Mobile Platform to the Sailfish OS:
- Accounts improvements implemented
- Redesigned incoming call experience.
- Shared device (multiuser) support with up to 6 additional users per device
- Device lock improvements implemented
- Browser Engine upgraded to Gecko ESR52.
- Hardware accelerated video decoding support via Gecko Media Plugin
- HTML email viewer migrated to Gecko browser engine
- Text selection and copying from email messages supported
- Setup of Exchange account improved
- Syncing of Exchange and IMAP subfolders implemented and other email bug fixes
- Adding and editing contacts improved
- Rust programming language available
- Automatic scheduled backup to cloud services and other backup improvements
- Sync options improved and other Nextcloud bug fixes
- Scanning of available WLAN networks optimized
- VPN settings improved
- Documents app performance improvements for spreadsheet and presentation viewing
- Support added for configuring Active Sync accounts over MDM
- Limited mode policy added to generic email accounts
- Experimental support for 64-bit architecture.
- SMS delivery notifications changes
- Storage and file manager updates
- USB/MTP fixes
- Notes app fixes
- Bluetooth fixes
- CalDav sync fixes
- CVE fixes (22)
- Middleware components updates
Jolla appreciates collaborative efforts of its partners and community to make Sailfish OS even better.
This list below contains examples of new features (and some bug fixes) added to Sailfish OS, compared to the previous public release 3.3.0.
The release notes of 3.3.0 can be found here.
- If synchronization is attempted when offline, instruct to get connected first
- Disabled accounts (CalDAV, Google, Exchange) used to sometimes generate alarms - this is fixed now
- Users are notified about provisioned ActiveSync account. This is especially important when an account is provisioned without a password as the user needs to enter the password and “create” credentials before account starts working.
- ActiveSync account can now be set up using a personal SSL certificate
- Signing in to Yahoo and OneDrive fixed
Android App Support 8.1
- Fixed the issue in starting Android App Support on OS update 22.214.171.124
- Incoming WhatsApp call wakes up user’s attention now
- Spaces are now supported in the names of memory cards
- Missing Galileo satellite IDs added
- Intentional limitation: Android App Support only available for the admin user (device owner)
Backup & Restore
- Automatic scheduled backup to cloud services added. The user can set the schedule, target and the internet connection. Only one backup schedule can be in effect at a time
- Backup & restore settings page redesigned, no longer blocks user during ongoing operations
- Backup and restore progress notification now shown on Events view
- Added button “Add cloud account” to make Backup setup easier
- Previous backups to various targets are shown in Restore section
- User gets instructions in case of an unmounted or locked memory card
- Pairing fixed after a situation where remote end unpaired this device. The informational dialogue “Connection failed. Ensure the other device is turned on, or remove the pairing and pair the devices again” is shown.
- Top menu toggle shows the real Bluetooth status upon disconnection now
- Allow cancelling an ongoing Bluetooth pairing instead of forcing the user to wait for the completion
- Fixed the default bookmark Community to point to forum.sailfishos.org
- Engine upgraded to Gecko ESR52. This makes using Sailfish Browser much more enjoyable!
- Hardware accelerated video decoding support via Gecko Media Plugin (GMP) (gmp-droid) added
- Pasting numbers to calculator no longer mixes decimal separator with digit group separator
- Some fixes for sync problems
- Syncing of all-day (one day or multiple days) Google events fixed
- Allow selecting event recurrence for specific weekdays. Uploading to server works.
- Two new event reminder options 6 and 12 hours added. This should make it possible, for instance, to avoid alarms of all-day events in the middle of the night. More options for recurring events.
- The rest of the birthday events lasting (incorrectly) two days eliminated
- Allow keeping complex event recurrence rules intact (by Damien Caliste). If an event has more complicated recurrence rules created elsewhere than we allow on the UI, it is better to notify the user and allow to keep the rules the same as they were before the event was otherwise modified
- All-day recurring events (Exchange accounts) used to be shown one day later. This is fixed.
- CalDAV calendars now support server-side invitation handling. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6638
- Some fixes for CalDAV sync problems
- Go to image mode when triggering selfie action from Top Menu
- Default WebDAV path of Nextcloud updated
- Hardcoded paths removed from Nextcloud
- Sync options of Nextcloud improved
- Nextcloud photo display changed from a grid to a list (since thumbnails are not fetchable for Nextcloud photos)
- Turning the image option off in account settings hides the photo folder from Gallery
- Photo sync fixed for OneDrive album in Gallery
- OneDrive account setup now launches the Browser app to perform sign in
- Fixed the issue of not showing the previously used WLAN networks on OS update 126.96.36.199
- Scanning of available WLAN networks optimized to save energy and to reduce unnecessary processing in the phone
- Manual network search fixed - found networks are listed with their correct names
- Editing of existing WLAN TLS connection settings is possible now
- Warning is shown if mobile data is turned off while tethering is active
- Length of WPA/WPA2 PSK password fixed to follow the standard (so 8 to 63 characters)
- “Connecting” state added to WLAN status indicator (as connecting to WLAN network in the background may take time)
- Rust  programming language available.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)
- New options introduced for Developer tools Frame rate display (use “Application only” options when profiling your app)
- Security code (if in use) must be typed when the phone is booting up. Fingerprint recognition cannot be used in this case any more
- Setting up the security code during the first start of a device (after flashing or after factory reset) became mandatory. All new devices (Xperia X/XA2/10) have home encryption on by default which makes the security code a must
- There is no device lock for additional users or for the guest user (see section “Shared device” further down). A security code must, however, be set up for additional users and they need to type it when logging in. This is because of the encryption
- Any user’s code may be entered at the home encryption unlock dialogue (on a black background). This allows for switching users in the bootup.
- Opening a large Excel spreadsheet happens up to four times faster
- Pinch zooming presentation slides is much smoother now (previously a new texture was created every frame)
- Document previews at the active cover now work more reliably
- Document active cover no longer shows minimized application side controls
Device Management (MDM) [Corporate API]
- Support added for configuring Active Sync accounts over MDM
- Limited mode policy added to generic email accounts (allows editing of password only)
- HTML email viewer is migrated to Gecko browser engine from old Qt WebKit, improving rendering and standards compatibility
- Email actions (reply, reply to all, delete, and forward) are visible in the toolbar of the Email viewer
- Text selection and copying from email messages implemented
- Setup of Exchange account improved: it detects the existence of device lock now and works better when checking server settings; provisioning better
- Syncing of Exchange and IMAP subfolders implemented
- All messages are now grouped by reception date (previously anything older than one week went under section “Older”)
- Addresses at TO field remain in TO, and CC addresses in CC when replying to all
- Events now shows hourly weather forecasts. Expanded weather banner shows forecasts, tap toggles between daily and hourly forecasts
- Several improvements to syncing and showing the cloud service folders (e.g. changes in account options and changes of data in the cloud are better followed)
- Actions of jumping 10 seconds backwards and forwards added to the toolbar of video playback
- Nextcloud images are synced incrementally when possible
- Video clips from a locked or unmounted card are not shown any more (media tracker fixed)
Experimental support for 64-bit architecture. The ABI is not stable yet, and likely there will be changes.
Unlocking the touch screen lock with fingerprint works again and allows for getting to Home view easily
- Platform icons for light ambience polished
- Switching the user added to the end of the Top Menu (if more than one user is configured)
- After minimizing an Android app, the transition to Home screen is smooth and quick now
- Missing low battery notifications fixed. Also, battery % added to those notifications
- Romanian language and keyboard added to Sailfish OS
- Use locale-specific list separator instead of “,” (important for Chinese and Arabic locales)
- All messages are now grouped by reception date (previously anything older than one week went under section “Older”)
- SMS delivery notifications are shown for all modems now
- Quick scroll added in conversations to easily jump back to the latest message
- Numbering of rearranged notes fixed
- Long-pressing notification banner now hints it can be swiped away
- Missing battery low notification now displays the current charge percentage
- Notification added for incoming WhatsApp call while WhatsApp is full-screen
- Notification API allows passing progress info
- Birthday events shortened to one day
- Adding contacts with only company name & phone number is possible now. Empty name fields are accepted
- Selecting a birthday for a contact made easier. An empty date is shown by default with type ‘birthday’
- Date picker made more user-friendly; it opens to the year set previously, not to the current year
- Nickname field is not pre-filled with sender’s phone number anymore when saving a new contact
- Redesigned incoming call experience. Flick horizontally to answer or flick up to decline (with a quick message or a reminder)
- Failed outgoing calls are now saved to the list of recent calls
- Dot/period (’.’) is not supported as DTMF pause character any more. Use ‘p’ or comma ‘,’, instead. Use dot/period as a separator
- Call recordings can no longer be accessed by normal apps
- Call avatar made darker again to make call controls better visible (regression)
- Call avatar picture now rotates when call window changes orientation (only on tablets)
Sailfish core and middleware
- Lots of components updated to their latest versions
- Adjusted for multiple users and for 64-bit architecture
- Access to privileged files blocked from email messages with a special format
- Vulnerabilities fixed: glibc 2.30 – CVE-2020-6096, PackageKit 1.1.13 – CVE-2018-1106 and others.
- Menu page “Users” added. Here the device owner can create, modify, delete, and switch additional users. A Guest user can be enabled
- Item "Transfers settings# is now able to display appropriate icons for many mime types it couldn’t before
- In addition to the default user, the Admin (a.k.a. device owner), up to 6 additional users can be created and named. These users have limited rights and functions.
- A nameless guest user can be added, too, with even more limited rights and functions.
- Admin appears as “defaultuser” in the file system of devices to which 3.4.0 (or later) is installed. In OTA-updated devices, the good old “nemo” remains. A lot of hardcoded paths referring to “nemo” have been eliminated
- Additional users appear by their given names
- Menu page “Settings > Users” added. Here the device owner can create, modify, delete, and switch additional users. A guest user can be enabled. Switching users can be done at the end of Top Menu, too
- Note: Android App Support and Android apps are hidden from additional users
- Brief help article on shared devices and multiple users: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013835719
Storage and file manager
- Files and folders can now be renamed in Storage settings
- Connecting an external encrypted storage device to a phone fixed.
- Copying files bigger than 2GB fixed. Note: copying to SD card can still introduce problems depending on the filesystem. If you go above 4GB with FAT32, for instance.
- Sailfish formats SD cards now to permissions of “
drwxrwx—”, i.e. settings group rights, too. This helps Android apps in accessing the card.
- Handling of file sizes bigger than 4GB fixed in Gallery details and elsewhere
- Phantom memory card prevented from appearing
- Romanian keyboard added
- Numeric keyboard now supports typing alternative decimal separators (1.2 vs. 1,2)
- Capital German ẞ character added to the German keyboard layout
- Pressing the attachment button in WhatsApp hides the keyboard, making it possible to select an attachment
Updating Sailfish OS
- Improved the OS update process by adding a stricter check for potential conflicts. When downloading an update, the OS now checks the consistency of the current system against the new parts being downloaded. Any packages that conflict or that have been replaced could cause the update to fail, so if such packages are detected they will be listed as a potential problem and recommended for removal before continuing with upgrade installation. This is not required; the user may ignore the warning and proceed with installation anyway, but there will be a chance that the upgrade fails part-way through and leaves the device in a non-booting state.
- Copying of big files (300+ MB) from host PC to SD card over MTP fixed
- Copying and moving of files in device storage or in SD card or between those two, controlled over MTP from a Linux host PC, was fixed
- VPN setting entries can be cleared. When editing an already created VPN configuration, deleting the text from a field already filled and accepting the dialogue work now.
- New option was added for each VPN: default route. This allows the user to select whether all traffic should be going over the VPN or not. The setting is named as “Set as default route” and exists on VPN advanced settings. This option is enabled by default. When enabled all traffic is routed via VPN (like it always has been). When disabled all traffic is routed via the connected medium but the VPN networks can be accessed. In this case, DNS requests are directed to both connected medium and VPNs DNS servers.
- If you want to experiment with OpenFortiVPN, you can install it at the command line as below. It will make item Fortinet appear in Settings > VPN. OpenFortiVPN will be included in the next OS update.
devel-su pkcon refresh pkcon install jolla-settings-networking-plugin-vpn-openfortivpn reboot
- Weather app and banner migrated to the new Foreca API
- New hourly weather forecast view added to the Events view
- Check and update the weather data when the display is turned on to always show up-to-date information
- Offline indication no longer hides the old weather forecast information
Sailfish OS Forum and T.J.C: Issues reported by the community and fixed in this update
- SDK 3.2: linker failure (regression)
- [SDK 3.2.10] App deployment failed (using RPM or rsync)
- Wifis disappeared [188.8.131.52]
- Android Support/Alien Dalvik no longer working [184.108.40.206]
- Whole day event and Google calendar
- The default 'Community' bookmark in the Sailfish OS browser still points towards together.jolla.com in 3.4.0 ea
- [220.127.116.11] python3-sqlite missing
- SDK 3.2: linker failure (regression)
- https://together.jolla.com/question/7586/more-options-for-calendar-event-reminder-times/?sort=votes&page=1 “paper cut”
- https://together.jolla.com/question/174826/battery-warning-hides-battery/ “paper cut”
- https://together.jolla.com/question/214492/jolla-1-31011-calendarmoved-reminder-is-ringing-twofold/ “paper cut”
- https://together.jolla.com/question/214788/bugxa2-bluetooth-gets-stuck-after-disabling/ “paper cut”
- https://together.jolla.com/question/216570/bugui-white-in-contact-pictures-hides-ui-elements/ “paper cut”
Link to the technical blog on the changes made to support shared devices
Please note that the systemd system service file location has changed from
The old location /lib/systemd/system location will be deprecated in the next release.
The main component of Android App 8.1 Support, ‘aliendalvik’, was split into ‘aliendalvik-system’ and ‘aliendalvik-configs’.
Package ‘aliendalvik’ remains as a meta package, but its version numbering was restarted from 1.0.0.
Qt is built with ‘qreal’ == ‘double’ now on aarch64.
Package python3-sqlite is now a dependency for the pyotherside package (OS version 18.104.22.168). It’s not included in the images, but any app which uses pyotherside should pull it in.
The detailed changelog is here: [https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/changelog-pallas-yllastunturi-3-4-0/2214.
Updating your device
Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account. If your Jolla account is registered for Early Access releases you should receive an OS update notification when an update is available. If you have decided not to take the Early Access registration then you will get the OS update typically one week later.
We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space to the internal storage of your device before starting the update. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or to your PC or cloud service). After the upgrade turn on the option to save pictures and videos directly from the camera to the memory card (Settings > Apps > Camera). This is important particularly in the case of “Jolla Phone” devices (product name “Jolla” in Settings > About product).
This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:
Take a backup of your data before attempting to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or to some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. Device screen may blank out during the update process; you may waken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Zendesk.
Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.
After downloading an update and selecting “Install” in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. In the case of a device with the user-space encrypted,
please note that you will need to type the security code before the actual installation can start.
Notification concerning apps from Open Repos
The apps below have been reported to cause problems when installing the previous OS updates. We recommend that you uninstall them before proceeding to the OS update.
- If you use Aliendalvik Control update it to the latest version 9.3.x first or else you will not be able to use your phone. See the author’s instructions.
- If you use Storeman update it to the latest version 0.2.2 first
- If you use SystemDataScope or collectd (see here), remove them. Having them installed will lead into update failure where Internet connections may be broken. See TJC-226291. Upgrading collectd to the latest version may help (no guarantees)
- If you use Phonehook or Callrecorder uninstall it before upgrading
- If you use Defender, remove it as it will probably prevent your phone from booting up. See this, please.
- If you use OKBoard, please remove it.
About SD cards
- Encrypted cards must be unlocked by the user to make them available for Sailfish applications.
- Non-encrypted cards are mounted automatically when the device is turned on.
- Encrypted cards can be formatted only when they are locked. Formatting removes the encryption in this case (the card becomes unencrypted and unmounted). You can then format it again with the option to encrypt if needed.
Known issues - generic
- Package ‘aliennativecallservice’ (apkd8) was properly obsoleted ==> this may cause an unnecessary warning (depending on the previous update history) when upgrading to 22.214.171.124 - please ignore
- Assisted location services of Mozilla has stopped working from March 1st. This tends to slow down finding the position of the phone. We are looking for alternative ways to make it work faster.
- Sailfish can connect Bluetooth Low Energy devices now. However, Android apps cannot use peripheral devices via Bluetooth - other than for playback of the sound. Therefore smartwatches, for instance, cannot be controlled from Android apps
- VPN credentials disappear when a phone is restarted. Typing the username and password again is required. Also the status icon is misbehaving. To be fixed to the next OS release.
- Weather: the “feels like” temperature is always shown as 0 degrees. Will be fixed to the next OS release.
Known issues to Android App Support 8.1 - Xperia 10 & Xperia XA2
- Android apps cannot use peripheral devices via Bluetooth - other than for playback of the sound. Therefore smartwatches, for instance, cannot be controlled from Android apps.
- The voice of an incoming call might not automatically routed to a wired headset. However, if the user first directs the voice to the HF speaker and then back to the headset, the voice can be heard at the headset.
- VPN does not work in case of Android apps
- Fastboot drivers cannot be installed on WIndows 10 version 2004
Known issues specific to Xperia X
- Not implemented features: FM radio, double-tap wakeup, step counter, RTC Alarms
- Issues with mobile data persist on some SIM cards. Turn the Flight mode on and off to reset the network setup. Reverting the device to Android and re-installing Sailfish X has often helped. See our support article.
- [camera] Force autofocus mode for photos, and continuous for video. After this, camera focus is still not ideal - as the camera stays out of focus when it starts until you either tap or try to take a shot - but the pictures seem to be better focused now
- Bluetooth: problems with some car equipment, some audio devices and computers may appear
- The loudspeaker volume level cannot be adjusted very high
- Not all SD cards are recognized and mounted.
Known issues specific to Xperia XA2
- Not implemented features: FM radio, double-tap wakeup, RTC Alarms
- Bluetooth: there are problems in connecting to some peripheral devices
- XA2 does not power up when alarm time has elapsed
- Flashing Sailfish X to XA2 might still fail (so far seen to happen on Ubuntu 18.04 when using USB3 port). Please read this article.
- With v17B Sony vendor image we observed a decrease in the perceived signal strength of the 5GHz WLAN access points (investigations ongoing). Version v16 may work better in this respect. Therefore we would not recommend flashing v17B for the time being if you use WLAN networks in the 5GHz band. You can reflash the vendor image of your choice by following the instructions in here.
Known issues specific to Xperia 10
- Features not yet implemented: FM radio, double-tap wakeup, support for dual-lens camera, RTC Alarms.
- Rarely, audio playback and sensors (display rotation) may stop working. If this happens, please restart the device
- In some cases, the acceptance of the PIN code of a SIM card may take up to 5…20 seconds
- White balance and HDR (of the camera) do not work.
Known issues specific to Jolla Tablet
- There is no progress bar during the installation phase of OS upgrades. This makes it difficult to follow if it makes progress or not. However, if there are no problems the device will restart itself in the end - please wait patiently. If you feel that you have waited enough, wait for yet another 20 minutes before you turn off the device to allow some more time for it to complete the job. Interrupting too early may break the tablet.
- Taking screenshots is broken. Pressing the VOL keys together seems to create an image but it cannot be viewed in Gallery.
Known issues specific to Jolla Phone
- Some Android apps cannot be installed any more as an Android version higher than supported by Sailfish OS (i.e., 4.1) would be required
Known issues specific to Gemini PDA
- Features not yet implemented: double-tap wakeup, RTC Alarms
- Gemini Screenshot Button Fn + X does not work
- Not possible to answer calls when Gemini is closed with side button
- Some 3rd party apps have issues in Landscape mode.