Installing microG on Sailfish OS

This wiki is intended as a place to find out up-to-date information on how to install microG on Sailfish OS with Android AppSupport. Initially I’ve just copied over the information @DrYak’s excellent summary on TJC. But because this is an editable wiki, we all can keep it up-to-date.

I’ve not tested these instructions, so please use them at your own risk, and update the information if you find something has changed.

What is microG good for?

microG is an Open Source Software replacement for the proprietary Google Play Services, which some Android apps require to install or run properly, e.g. some online banking apps. For details read the excellent Wikipedia article about microG or microG’s own description.

Donations

As a side note, if you would like to support the development of MicroG, you can do so via LibrePay or GitHub Sponsors.

Notes

For Android, when I write : " App permissions - Apps using Location, Microphone, Camera ", " App permissions " is the big text that appears in big bold on the menu, and " Apps using Location, Microphone, Camera " is the text that appears in light gray underneath.

Pre-requisites

The really base (most of the people already have) :

• You need obviously to have a smartphone on which you have flashed Sailfish OS
  • You need to have paid the license for Sailfish X (this includes the paying bits like AlienDalvik aka “Android™ App Support” / AppSupport / AAS)
  • You need to have your Jolla account set up on the smartphone.
  • You need to install “Android™ App Support” (AppSupport / AAS) from the Jolla store (will not show up until you have an account with a paid licence for the type of device you’re running)
  • Installing AppSupport doesn’t pop up any new icon in Launcher, that’s normal
  • It’s not obligatory, but it helps a bit : you can turn developer mode on.

If you’re installing on a freshly flashed phone, with a fresh installation of AppSupport, that’s okay you can skip to the procedure itself. If you have fooled around on your device (e.g.: installed Google Play Service, installed microG, etc.) and if you hit the " I don’t have the spoofing permission showing up in the list " issue, make also sure :

• there’s no extra stuff left over in /opt/alien/ (the space on that partition is limited, it’s barely enough for holding the original file and any system upgrade. Any leftover backup might not leave enough room to proceed )
  • that you have the original pristine file in /opt/alien/system.img (and not your patched stuff)
  • that currently you do have the latest version of AppSupport installed.

As of 4.5.0.16 Struven Ketju (you can check the changelog):

rpm -qf /opt/alien/system.img 
appsupport-system-unprivileged-11.0.0.60.28-1.15.1.jolla.aarch64

If you have any doubt about the two above, you can force re-installing AppSupport with commands:

devel-su
pkcon refresh
pkcon install --allow-reinstall appsupport-system-unprivileged

Also last but not least, make sure you’re currently running some 4.5.0 Struven Ketju version of the OS (and not that the upgrade has completely failed and you’re kicked back to 4.4.0 Vanha Rauma):

ssu re
Device release is currently: 4.5.0.16

Enable Signature Spoofing

• Settings app
  • section Info , tool Android™ App Support
  • you get to the screen shot above
  • check the checkbox Disable Android App Support system package verification
  • push the Stop button
  • wait until AppSupport has completely shutdown ( Start button become available)
  • push the Start button
  • wait until AppSupport has completely re-started ( Stop button become available)

The Signature Spoofing permission is enabled in AppSupport and could now be granted.

Install software

F-Droid

Install F-Droid from Jolla Store and let it update itself.

microG repository

Hint: to avoid having to manual type the data information, you can use the Camera app and scan the QR-Codes on web pages such as the microG download page and copy-paste them into the relevant fields

• Open and check the info from the the microG download page on your computer.
  • open the “F-Droid” app store
  • Settings icon (down, right in the blue bar on the F-Droid window)
  • section My Apps , tap on Repositories - Add additional sources of apps
  • hit the " + " icon on the top, right in the blue bar.
  • Repository address : F-Droid repository - microG Project
  • Fingerprint : 9BD06727E62796C0130EB6DAB39B73157451582CBD138E86C468ACC395D14165( ^- that’s very long. It’s much easier to copy-paster from the QR-code scan in Camera)
  • make sure the " microG F-Droid repo is checked active (green)
  • back to the main screen (hit the " :arrow_backward: " Android back button, than hit again " Latest " down, left in the blue bar on the F-Droid window)
  • hit on the green magnifying glass search icon down right on the main pane.
  • search for microG
  • Download ( blue icon down arrow ) then install the following software (the first time, Android will ask you to grant to F-Droid the permission to install software) (each time a box pops-up asking you to confirm the installation).
    • microG Services Core - Re-Implementation of Playservice (That’s microG proper, it also includes UnifiedNlp)
    • Apple UnifiedNlp Backed . Unified location provider (Apple Wifi) (Alternative option)
    • Signature Spoofing Checker - Test the signature spoofing capabilities (optional)
    • NominatimNlpBacked - UnifiedNlp geocoding provider (That’s for finding street addresses)
    • microG DroidGuard Helper installation (optional - that’s tools to help make use of the Security Net feature of Google Services)
    • FakeStore - microG Store (FakeStore release) (it’s empty, but pretends that “Google Play Store” is installed, because some apps look for that) Make sure you install version 0.1.0 or later - by default F-Droid installs an older version
    • microG Services Framework Proxy - Legacy support proxy library (for making Google Cloud Messaging work).
  • other applications to search for, then install:
    • Aurora Store - A Google Playstore Client (optional - a modern-looking Google Play Store replacement)

microG will make a microG settings appear in Launcher. If installed, the optional Aurora makes an icon too.

Other optional application to search for and install, that are useful in my opinion “Android Permissions”, “Stanley - An application explorer for developers”.

Grant Signature Spoofing Permissions

• You need to go to the Android settings.

1. Go to Settings app
    2. section section Info , tool Android™ App Support
    3. Push the Android version field five times
  • You are now in the the main screen of Android settings app. Now continue:

• Apps & notifications - Recent apps, default apps

• Permission manage - Control app access to your data"

• Spoof package signature - 0 of 2 apps allowed

• Here you can grant the “Spoof package signature” permission,

• FakeStore (make so the empty package seem to contain “com.android.vending” coming from the genuine Google’s Play Store, so that apps checking for that are kept happy)
    • microG Service Core (make so “com.google.android.gms” seems to be coming from the genuine Google Play Service)
    • Signature Spoofing Checker (if you installed this option. It makes the checker apps’ screen go green if the spoofing works)

Restart AppSupport

So the permission granting takes effect:

• Settings app
  • section Info , tool Android™ App Support
  • you get again to the screen shot above
  • push the Stop button
  • wait until AppSupport has completely shutdown ( Start button become available)
  • push the Start button
  • wait until AppSupport has completely re-started ( Stop button become available)

Checks

After this last restart, Signature Spoofing should work for the software you granted it to.

• application microG Settings
  • At the top, Self-Check - Check if the system is correctly set up to use microG.
  • you arrive at the screen above
  • control that each test has passed (has a green check-mark)
    • specially Play Services (GmsCore) and PlayStore (Phonesky) should both be installed and have correct signatures.

More checks

• if you have installed “Signature Spoof Checker” and has granted it permission, it should show a green screen
  • if you have installed “Stanley”, when you check the application “microG Services Core - com.google.android.gms” and “FakeStore - com.android.vending”, you’ll notice that the signature pretends to be from Google (and not from “nogapps.de” unlike the other microG components)

Configure

• application microG Settings
  • section Location modules

This is where you can configure the location services.

• location service modules you’ve installed from F-droid (as described earlier) will be listed.
  • select the toggle switch to activate or deactivate a particular module.
  • press the main title to configure the backend
  • once selected, some modules can be further tuned by selecting the Configure option (not all modules have this though).

Note : Keep in mind that, as of 3.1.0 Seitseminen, Android app can see and query the WLAN (Wifi connection), but currently as demonstrated by several questions filed by other community members, the 3G/4G connection isn’t always seen by Android Apps.

Thus you need to only rely on Wifi Network-based connection e.g.: rely on Apple’s back-end. If you do not do that you’ll get the following problems :

• “UnifiedNLP has no last known location. This will cause some apps to fail.” (if no other back-end present)
  • “UnifiedNLP do not have Location to test Geocoder - Please verify your location Backend” (if no other back-end present)
  • “No UnifiedNlp location was provided by the system within 10 seconds”. (always fails)

That because the back-ends that rely on 3G/4G cell hang.

Advanced tips

Chrome

Some apps rely on a Google Chrome web browser to be present.

You can add the Bromite repository to the F-Droid client app: Bromite is an derivative of Chromium (which in turn is the Open Source Software variant of Chrome), but offers more privacy and built-in Ad-blocking (unlike Mozilla Firefox on which plug-ins work in all variants, for Chrome plug-ins can only be installed on the desktop version, e.g. the µBlockOrigin plug-in).

Google Cloud Messaging

I’ve written another HOWTO about auto-starting apps. You might check how to enable/disable apps getting automatic alerts from the Cloud, and optionally getting auto-started to process it (e.g.: WhatsApp automatically getting messages instead of you needing to fetch them).

Apps that rely on Google Cloud Messaging and were already on the phone before you setup microG need to be installed again.

Google Play Store

This how-to is done for using an Open Source Software client app for browsing, fetching and installing APKs from the Google Play Store (such as aforementioned Aurora Store app) and the empty FakeStore package to trick any application that checks the presence of " com.android.vending ".

For people wanting to use the genuine Google Play Store client app (only needed in order to buy Android apps directly from within the Google Play Store client app), this is possible thanks to NanoDroid and carmeloferso’s guide:

• add nanodroid repository to F-Droid
  • install Google Play Store from nanodroid
  • grant it signature spoofing using the " enable system package replacement " permission
  • in the Android Settings , in section " Users & accounts - Current user: Owner "
    • add Google account (if not already set-up in microG).
    • " Sign-in & security "
      • Turn on " Trust Google for app permissions - When disabled, the user is asked before an app authorization {…} "
      • Turn on " Allow apps to find accounts - When enabled, all applications on this devices will be able to see your Google Accounts "
  • Start Google Play Store and let it sync.

“Root detected” and banking apps

Root detection relies on two things.

presence of Google APIs

• something must provide ’ com.google.android.gms ’ (aka.: GmsCore): you must install microG Services Core and grant it signature spoofing
  • something must provide ’ com.android.vending ’ (aka.: Phonesky): you must install either install microG’s FakeStore or Nanodroid’s patched Google Play Store and grant it signature spoofing

This makes most Android apps run fine.

34 Likes

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Appreciated.

Thanks, great howto! Typo: Bormite → Bromite.

The part where I have to configure my location services differs from the howto. I don’t have Configuration → UnifiedNlp Settings, I have Location modules → (each location service) → Configure.

Also, another question: is Mozilla Location Service still a working option? I trust Mozilla with data on my location more than I trust Google or Apple.

2 Likes

It is necessary to do all of it from the beginning after system update?

Thanks for the suggestions @fph. I’ve edited the text to try to take them into account, but this also provides me a good opportunity to reiterate that it’s a wiki page, so please do feel free to make direct edits yourself (or anyone else for that matter!).

Although it’s my avatar on the post, I’d also add that it draws in content from many different people, only some of whom get credited in the text (thank you for the improvements… hopefully you know who you are!).

3 Likes

No, it is not. MicroG should continue to work normally after system update.

It is possible to install MozillaNlpBackend. Whether it does anything useful is another question. At least where I live it doesn’t find my location, but neither does Apple backend.

2 Likes

Are you able to activate it in the Settings? When I try, it immediately deactivates itself, whereas at least Apple UnifiedNlp Backend stays activated.

Yes I am able to activate it. It first did that with me as well, but after I did something it stopped doing that. I wish I knew what that “something” was.

I can activate it in the settings, and it stays activated. I don’t know how to check if it actually returns meaningful results, but I am happy to make more experiments in case.

Many thanks for this wiki.
Very helpful!

Everything went ok as described, except I couldn’t install Bromite.
F-Droid downloads it then I click ‘install’. Then it says it couldn’t install it for an unknown reason.
I still have 640MB free on /home and 472 MB on /.

Did one of you already see/solve this?

4.5.0.19, X10II

Nanodroid Play Store: tried it last night. Uninstalled uG FakeStore, then installed NPS. Granted it spoofing permissions.

But apps refused to work with it, claiming missing Play Services.

NPS would also crash itself when navigating inside the app.

Probably need to tailing Android logs.

Anybody here have NPS working?

1 Like

New release 2d ago Release v0.2.28.231657 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub

Major changes to Location function. Sitting on my balcony, X10II got an instant accurate fix in Bolt app, but outdoors its been good before, too. Let’s see how it does indoors.

Update seems to have installed fine, haven’t seen anything break yet.

8 Likes

So now maybe apps will show my actual location other then 100km distant place :slight_smile:

Xperia 10 III, indoors: instant accurate fix. Besides that, there’s a nice feature in the UI: It tells you which apps have requested location, and which location it gave them. And you can restrict certain apps to coarse location.

Unfortunately there is no longer UnifiedNLP support, but then again it seems to be working better than any NLP providers so I’d say it’s an improvement.

Wohoo… I finally got ICA Banken working. :grinning:

2 Likes

About this part, before installing Micro-G from the F-Droid store check the stable version in their website

Because F-Droid propose the last version available even if it is a preview release and even if the Unstable updates is not allowed (unchecked) into F-Droid options.

@flypig: can the Micro-G repo keeper flag as unstable the preview release in order to stop F-Droid of proposing a unrequested ubdate above stable version?

I cannot replicate your performance with my Xperia 10 II (not III), unless the fix has been done in outdoor before. In such a case, it is going to lose the fix and then the accuracy, also.

Can you help me telling me what exactly do you remember you did?

I have reported my problem here below:

About this

I have installed UnifiedNLP support but not all the sanity checks cannot be fulfilled. However, GSM triangulation gaves me a position within a 9000m (9km) range.

Therefore, fixing satellites to improve it, would be wonderful.

I have a feeling there is a slight misunderstanding here. I wasn’t talking about GPS fix but ”location fix” - perhaps there is a better term for it. What I did was simply that I 1) installed the new microG version (0.2.28.231657) 2) turned on ”request from mozilla” and ”request from hotspot” in the microG location settings and 3) started any android app which uses location.

Even though there aren’t enough visible satellites to get a GPS fix inside my house, microG can get my position within 10 meters.

Note that this only helps with android apps, as sailfish apps naturally don’t have access to location provided by microG.

2 Likes

Something goes wrong with my installation¹ because here in Italy, without any GPS satellite fix I got with my Xperia 10 II a range of 9000m!²

Unfortunately, without new microG version (0.2.28.231657) the Xperia 10 II has problem in receiving from GPS satellites a reasonable precise point. This seems absurd but it is not when you think that installing SFOS on Android 12 instead Android 11, the GPS does not work at all³. Why?

IMHO, the explanation is quite as straighforward as candid, the Android system is the source of hardware configurations and thus if microG layer does not operate correctly for any reasons, those configurations would not be loaded corretly.

Please feel to correct me, this is the idea I developed reading the forum, the documentation and configuring my Xperia 10 II.

LINKS

¹ Quick start guide, immediately after the licensing.

² GPS work arounds for Xperia 10 II for low resolution issue without GPS fixing.

³ Xperia 10 ii and Android 12 - #19 by farz2farz about GPS failure in fix satellites