[Release notes] Sauna 4.6.0.12

Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.

Version history of the OS release

• 2024-05-20: OS version 4.6.0.11 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update.
  • 2024-06-06: OS version 4.6.0.12 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update.

Stop release

It is not yet clear if 4.6.0 needs to be a Stop release. We will communicate that later.

Device models supported by Sailfish X

The supported Sailfish X devices are listed in this table .

This is the last release for the following products: Jolla Tablet, Jolla C, Xperia X and, Gemini PDA.

The instructions for installing Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia X, Xperia XA2, Xperia 10, Xperia 10 II (mark 2), and Xperia 10 III (mark 3) devices are here - covering Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.
The instructions for Xperia 10 IV and Xperia 10 V will appear in the same place.

This document explains what the Sailfish X licence is.

Release highlights

The list below contains bug fixes added to Sailfish OS, compared to the previous public release 4.6.0.11. All Sailfish OS release notes can be found here .

AppSupport

• Video calls via Android apps are shown in full screen again

Phone

• Voice call waiting fixed

Sailfish Utilities

• Tool for resetting audio (Pulseaudio) added for recovering from difficult audio problems. This item is lacking translations - it is in English only. The next OS update will fix it.

SDK

Xperia 10 IV & 10 V

• Several improvements

Sailfish OS Forum: issues reported by the community fixed in this update

Technical changes

The detailed changelogs are here.

Updating your device

By installing this update you accept the updated The Sailfish OS End User License Agreement.

The usual update process

Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account.

Start the update from ā€œSettings > Sailfish OS updatesā€. Avoid running updates on the command line, please.

We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space for the internal storage of your device ( /home ) before starting the update. Processing an OS update of almost 1 GB requires a good amount of work area. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or your PC or cloud service).

This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:

Back up your data before an attempt to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. The device screen may get blank during the update process; you may wake the display with a short press of the power key to monitor the progress.

For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Sailfish OS Documentation.

NOTE 1:

Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.

NOTE 2:

After downloading an update and selecting ā€œInstallā€ in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. You will need to type the security code before the actual installation can start. A horizontal progress bar appears on a black background, under the Sailfish OS logo. When the other end of the bar has been reached the phone will restart automatically. If it doesnā€™t, please wait for 15 minutes. If it is still stuck at the 100% point of the progress bar it is time to perform forced power off . Next, turn the phone on with the power key and check the OS version at ā€œSettings > About productā€.

NOTE 3:

The Jolla Shop has the images of the latest OS release only. Keep the previously downloaded ones stored on your computer if you should want to reflash one of them later on.

Notification concerning apps from Open Repos

• Compatibility with the release 4.6.0 has not been verified yet. Early Access users, please report

Some apps from Open Repos have been reported to cause problems when installing OS updates. Read the recent comments on those apps.

• Call recorder has caused serious problems. We recommend uninstalling that app before the OS update. Read this comment, please.

Known issues

We have relocated the known issues to a table in Sailfish OS documents .

How did the upgrade go?

• I had no issues during the upgrade process
  • I had small issues but was able to handle them
  • I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)
  • I did not dare or want to update

0 voters

Help articles

The Sailfish OS help articles, previously kept in Zendesk, have been moved to Sailfish OS Documents repository.

11 Likes

X10III: [4.6.0.11] Video calls in AppSupport are shrunk (not full-screen). Many apps affected - #21 by lkraav seems to be successfully fixed :tada: Slack media is displayed full screen again.

opengapps users: you need to rebuild image again, or App Support wonā€™t start.

3 Likes

Great! I didnā€™t have the opportunity to test it yet, but that is really good news :slight_smile:

Apparently, the Android App Starting Bug (launching of some Android Apps from the app grid fails) is not yet solved; see Rowenta Robots (android app) stop working on 4.6.0.11 and [4.6.0.11] App Support, app grid - ING Banking App and others are killed (closed) ā€¦

Since launching the apps from the Terminal or via settings ā†’ apps ā€¦ is easy, we have at least a work around (see the links above)

2 Likes

It seems that the update broke the ability to install anything with Aurora store in AAS. It downloads, and waits for something. Pushing the install-button again leads to a banner saying it is waiting for user interaction. When I ā€œopenā€ the banner, I can hit ā€œinstallā€. Then the screen turns black except fir the Android-back-button.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve already got this behavior with Aurora from long time. My solution is after downloading an app, I go to the android_storage/Android/data/com.aurora.store/files/Dowloads/MyApp directory via File Manager and go in subdirectory an install ā€œbase.apkā€. Usually, itā€™s work.

1 Like

Thanks for the new update, once again!

This issue is now fixed (tested by me), so I think it should be listed in the post:

This is apparently fixed as well (GUI works for me):

This however doesnā€™t seem to be fixed:

I had significant waiting delays with querying or changing settings before, but replacing my SIM card (~50 minutes ago to be precise) made the waiting times from a minute to a few seconds, so that was indeed one additional iasue in my perticular case.

Iā€™m not able to install or update any apps using Aurora Store with 4.6.0.12 it seemsā€¦ Iā€™ll keep poking around.

6 Likes

I think it fails to display ā€˜Installā€™ dialogue. Actually, it opens it, but it is not displayed (correctly). You can try to blindly tap the Install button if you know its position.

6 Likes

I think itā€™s something like that. F-Droid works fine, so it looks to be Aurora Store incompatibility.

Works fine for me. Aurora store 4.4.2 (56)

I tried that, but the downloaded app isnā€™t there. I opened Android settings and found that auroraā€™s permission to access data wasnā€™t set to true, but giving it the permission didnā€™t make it store the zip in this place. I found the zip and installed it with SAI ( from f-droid).

1 Like

Hm, I donā€™t understand what you mean. After the app is downloaded, one can expand the top banner and there is the install button. Hitting it results ina black screen for me. Do you mean there is something hidden in the black screen?

I have the same problem.

Indeed, Aurora behaves strangly. I am sure it was ā€œnormalā€ with 4.6.0.11. It then still had the installation dialog window in the middle of the screen (and not only the banner at the top) - like in F-Droid.

Therefore it appears to be a regression introduced with 4.6.0.12

EDIT: I have the problem with both, Aurora 4.4.2 and 4.4.4

Have you tried the Nightly version? I understand itā€™s a version ahead in the development curve.

edit: i tried, and yeah, the same issue. No Install dialogue forthcoming.

This 4.6.0.12 donā€™t resolve the problem [4.6.0.11][AppSupport] Whatsapp "window" gets closed when hitting back sometimes - #9 by mkz

Maybe this is the culprit?
ā€œ[appsupport] Fully remove freeform windowing feature.ā€

Still have flakey internet connection.

Maybe sth to to with

Jun 06 20:50:20 Xperia10III kernel: gsi soc:qcom
,msm_gsi: gsi_stop_channel:2999 chan=7 busy try
again
Jun 06 20:50:50 Xperia10III kernel: gsi soc:qcom
,msm_gsi: gsi_stop_channel:2999 chan=7 busy try
again

But not sure.

WLAN seems stable.

I did not not have this problem with SF 4.5

At least not a couple of times a day.

I have the same problem as well. Updated versions of the apps can be seemingly downloaded, but the usual ā€˜install?ā€™ dialog window that used to pop up never appears. This is a regression from 4.5 certainly, but I donā€™t know if the earlier 4.6 EA had this problem also.

It didnā€™t, Aurora worked ok on 4.6.0.11.

1 Like