Call forwarding not working in 4.4.0.68

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Xperia 10ii
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Worked in all previous releases since may 2021

DESCRIPTION:

Since upgrading Sony Xperia 10ii to 4.4.0.68 call forwarding no longer functions at all.
When trying to enable call forwarding, the message states that “Service message Problem with service request”.

PRECONDITIONS:

No preconditions needed. Can be reproduced every time.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Unlock the phone
  2. Select phone > dialler
  3. Try to make the call forwarding by entering **21*PHONENUMBER#
  4. Press call

EXPECTED RESULT:

Message stating that calls are forwarded to “the_number_to_forward”

ACTUAL RESULT:

Error message: “Service message Problem with service request”.

MODIFICATIONS:

MicroG

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The problem is not only limited to call forwarding but affects all different service codes like for example:
##21# Cancel call forwarding
**62*PHONENUMBER# Unreachable

All of these give the same exact error message

1 Like

Is VoLTE on your phone enabled?

No, I haven’t tried it properly yet. If I enable 4G calling (beta) from the settings menu the selection button just blinks there and does nothing else. There is no changes in call forwarding whether the 4G calling is enabled or not.

This happens with Xperia 10 III as well, with or without VoLTE.

Edit: I didn’t test Call Waiting on 4.4.0.64, now I’m running 4.4.0.68.

I’m still on .64 on an X10iii, and entering ##21# does also give a “problem with service” error.

The “Problem with service” (or “Problem with network”) seems to have been there (for several different network services, not just call forwarding) for a long time. I’ve encountered it in January (so it must have been 4.3 or even 4.2 OS version) when I was trying (as described here) to use the “deflect” function of org.nemomobile.voicecall to programatically forward a call to voice mail.

P.S. Call barring doesn’t seem to have been working correctly, either. Current status is not correctly shown (e.g. I’ve got international outgoing calls barred but it isn’t shown as active) and even if I set it and exit the screen, then it shows again as inactive). It’s been like that ever since I can remember, including the latest 4.4.0.68. XA2 Ultra.

For me this has not happened ever before and I have to use call forwarding almost every day around the year. Because of this the bug is quite critical issue for me and I’ll propably have to either revert back to earlier version or even revert to AOSP android while waiting the next release. The forwarding MUST work for me or the phone is useless.

I also have posted earlier some feature requests regarding the call forwarding/diversion (here and here). I sincerely hope this new issue will be fixed in the next release and I would much appreciate if also those feature requests would also be taken into consideration.

Some logging info:

emo@PGXperiiia10:~ $ journalctl -fa -u ofono
-- Logs begin at Fri 2022-07-15 20:42:00 CEST. --
Jul 15 22:06:39 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Call Barring query error 44
Jul 15 22:06:39 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Generating a get_properties reply with no cache
Jul 15 22:07:23 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Unexpected getCallForwardStatus response 33
Jul 15 22:07:23 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Unexpected getCallForwardStatus response 33
Jul 15 22:07:39 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Unexpected getCallForwardStatus response 33
Jul 15 22:07:39 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Setting succeeded, but query failed
Jul 15 22:08:50 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Unexpected getCallForwardStatus response 33
Jul 15 22:08:50 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Setting succeeded, but query failed
Jul 15 22:09:30 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Call Barring query error 44
Jul 15 22:09:30 PGXperiiia10 ofonod[3327]: Generating a get_properties reply with no cache

This is clearly a bug in ofono binderplugin.

@slava, on my just bought and SFOS-enabled X10 III I am also unable to query the state of Call Waiting as well as Call Barring.

Can confirm problem with all GSM-kodes on Sony Xperia 10 III (4.4.0.68 (and before when on 4.4.0.64)).
Both with Settings => Apps => Phone => SIM menu, and directly with Phone => keyboard => GSM-codes.
(Have to put the SIM in my Xperia X (4.3.0.15) when enabling/disabling/change GSM settings)

I’ve created an internal issue for this and tagged it as “tracked”. In case there’s more info to share in the future, we’ll do our best to post it back here.

2 Likes

Just upgraded to 4.4.0.72 and the problem still persists. “Service message Problem with service request” is the exact error when trying **21*number#

1 Like

Tested this a bit more.

• Settings > Apps > Phone > SIM menu > the call forwarding works OK
  • Phone > keyboard > dial **21*number# > fails with the “Service message Problem with service request” error message.

Does sailfish handle the call forwarding requests differently depending on the way it is enabled?

Sadly, the Call Waiting switch in that menu still doesn’t work (“Error changing Call Waiting status”).

I just tried setting it. ‘If busy’ stores a number, but it doesn’t show in as enabled in the Phone settings overview? It works for you nevertheless? No one ever calls me when I want them to :slight_smile:

Using the dialer I get the same errors as everyone else (@slava already identified that it was ofono general so that phone model shouldn’t matter).

Call forwarding should be fixed in ofono-binder-plugin 1.1.5 by this commit.

2 Likes

@slava, can you please also fix the Call Waiting switch? It doesn’t work, either.

Heh. So now I can’t turn it off. Sigh. All my calls are being forwarded.
EDIT: so it just shows an error message when still on the settings page. But navigate out, and then return and the settings have taken.

Aren’t there any codes containing some * and # and numbers to control these functions by dialling keyboard? If someone could provide these codes, we could control these network functions using the dialling keyboard and the phone would stay usable until SFOS is fixed.