[Release notes] Sauna 4.6.0.12

I dont usually use aurora, but same for me

It might be related, but I also can not update Android apps with Aptoide on XA2.
The apps get downloaded, but the installation popup does not show up when the download is finished.
This was definitely working fine in 4.6.0.11 (and earlier).

Indeed, this sounds exactly like Aurora’s behaviour now. I suppose it is the same bug

Other Android apps that worked on 4.6.0.11 that now no longer work on 4.6.0.12 for me are:

• New York Times
  • Slack
  • LinkedIn
  • Opera Mini

So something has changed …

And also Zoom (video conferencing) as well. The apps look like they are starting (rotating circle) and then you just get a black screen before the app window just disappears.

Edit: X10 iii - not willing to update my XA2+ daily driver just yet.

Slack is OK here (XA2 Ultra)

I’ll update my Jolla C to see what’s new, but the AppSupport is always the same, so I guess no change

Update from ssh commandline via sfos-upgrade to SFOS 4 6.9.12 worked without any problemes, so long, on Xperia 10iii.

1 Like

F-Droid does not work fine on 10III for me: some apps install seamlessly, but with most I have tried an error window pops up after download (the Italian message translates as “unexpected anomaly”) and no installation is performed.

I have opened a separate topic on the installation problems of Android apps

1 Like

Microsoft Teams crashes as well

LinkedIn, Slack, Zoom, Teams are working for me with 4.6.0.12 - even when launched from the app grid.

Did you try launching the apps via the terminal, using apk.launcher …?

Same here, Aurora Store was working fine under 4.6.11, but now with the last update to 4.6.0.12 the request is visible via notification but the window not appears. Checked with different Aurora Store versions. Fdroid is working fine.
Many greetings
Matthias

No, I haven’t tried this yet (how, similar to starting native SFOS apps from the command line?).

To be honest I now seem to have a list of workarounds, especially on my X10 iii, as long as my arm:

• Re-starting AppSupport to get Android mobile data back

• Re-starting the fingerprint functionality because it randomly stops working

• Rebooting to fix disappearing sound in phone calls and alarms (a simpler workaround in utilities has now been provided in 4.6.0.12 I think)

• Installing Android apps manually through a file manager or, from today, using another dedicated download manager or something

• Starting some native SFOS apps from the command line because of a Sailjail timing issue means they won’t start from the app grid

• Having to use an an Android email app because native Microsoft 365 sync functionality doesn’t work properly

• Patching SUPL servers to get GPS working (especially on XA2+)

• Manually deleting thousands of duplicated contacts (@dcaliste knows what I mean because he’s been kindly helping me) to enable my calendars to work again

• Doing something called ‘dconf’ to get the Meecast weather working again in the events view after 4.6.0.11 inexplicably removed it.

just to get everyday functionality working on my phone. What’s yet another workaround when compared to all the above - bring it on!

5 Likes

I suspect that, soon, we’ll be using workarounds for the workarounds :laughing:

2 Likes

Wow, what an effort!

For me, everything mostly works simply as intend. Just for the moment (early access - I hope) I need some workarounds.

You can start Zoom with apkd-launcher us.zoom.videomeetings.apk us.zoom.videomeetings/com.zipow.videobox.LauncherActivity from the terminal

Other Android apps can be started similarily (You find the code in .loca/.share/applications …) - but I guess you know already

Much as I love Sailfish, for me (I appreciate it may be different for others), it is quite an uphill slog trying to use it as a daily driver - there are just too many basic outstanding issues to make it a comfortable or easy experience. In this day and age, where the mobile phone is a mature commodity product, most users will expect the basics to … well … just work.

I will try this and see if it makes any difference - thanks.

Let’s hope that the new community phone with SFOS 5 will at least fix some of these issues for good.

2 Likes

Good luck!

I am using my Sailfish Xperia 10 iii as my (sole) daily driver - I only charge my iPhone every quater of the year and have not used it for at least two years. Same with Andriod phones.

1 Like

So did I, when SFOS became available for it, but I have since gone back to a six year old XA2 Plus as my daily driver, mainly because it at least does not have some of the above issues (e.g. fingerprint always works, sound doesn’t disappear, mobile data disappears much less frequently, camera works properly (missed that one from my list above for the X10 iii) and so on).

I now only use the X10 iii for testing when new releases, etc come out to see if all is well before I dare upgrade my XA2 Plus daily driver.

1 Like

You are aware that this is an early access release? No reason for general complaints…