Jolla C2 first time use instructions

Dear Jolla C2 user,

A few important notes regarding the first boot and taking your new Jolla C2 into use as some issues have been reported recently in the forum:

1. Plug your C2 into a USB-C charger before you start to boot up. We have noticed that some devices have had low battery capacity on the first boot, which may cause issues going forward

2. Enter at least 5 digits or characters to the security code upon the first boot

3. Remember to run the Startup Wizard through on the first boot and please DO NOT reboot your device during startup wizard

We are purposefully shipping devices without chargers and cables to reduce e-waste. You may use common USB-C chargers with your C2.

These are all safety measures so that your first boot and on-boarding goes smoothly. We’re working to deliver recovery mode via over-the-air software update.

Jolla Crew

34 Likes

I did plug mine to a charger before first booting up, but after plugging in, it booted up automatically. Then, while still plugged in it run out of battery before I had time to insert the security code and finish the wizard. Now the phone is in a state that it freezes in the language selection screen when booted. Managed to charge it, tho.

Shipping phones with an empty battery is a bad idea and bad UX. Experts say storing phone batteries empty will degrade them.

3 Likes

I guess delivering recovery mode via OTA won’t help the users who are stuck with a phone which is not able to reach a state where an OTA could be triggered, or am I mistaken?

8 Likes

Are you saying that you’re not able to give touch input? If you reboot again it does the same?

1 Like

Are you saying that you’re not able to give touch input? If you reboot again it does the same?

Exactly. Cannot give touch input. The display can be turned off and back on with the power button. Reboots don’t help. It also looks like the UI somehow loaded only partially with some elements missing.

In the first boot I was able to give touch input before the battery died.

1 Like

Exactly the same happened to me. Also stuck at language selection.

1 Like

Just received the phone.
Will make sure I charge it fully before turning it on tonight. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey jolla : sorry for double posting but i think this might be a more appropriate place to post it instead of the other location

I just got my C2 and i was verry excited for it i got it unpacked and was trying to set it up i couldn’t get the configure with jolla account to work so i pressed skip : i sat a passcode got through the setup process then i proceeded through the tutorial then to WIFI settings it told me there was something wrong with the system and i needed to restart : i did and now when i boot the phone the phone is just stuck on the ENTER SECURITY CODE screen it has been there for 10 minutes now restart dosnt work and im afraid its bricked im in panic mode as i dont know what do do as it doesn’t run android and jolla has stated that the phone should not be factory reset through recovery and i don’t even know if this one has an recovery

Best regards. Oliver Lauritsen

Well, I ran wizard succesfully except network could not be set. I skipped it and decided to do that later in settings. But after fiddling on menus and apps a bit, I tried to do it, under that setting read something like network could not be set this time, please reboot…so I rebooted as instructed and then all went sideways because after reboot, wizard started again.

What there could have been done, because no wifi or mobile network worked and device instructed to reboot?

Exactly same result for me. I think it is best to keep calm and wait that Jolla guys are investigating problem. Frustrating, yeah but what could we do :neutral_face:

Is there chance to load battery full before booting? Like pushing some buttons same time when charger is plugged in.

I’m waiting still my C2.