VoLTE provider support

Same here, CZ/O2, I cannot send SMS with 4G calling enabled. When I disable it, people cannot reach me using phone calls.

I ran this:

# getprop persist.vendor.somc.cust.modem0
S173.1

Could anyone please explain/point to explanation what that is?
There is no /vendor/oem/modem-config/S173.1 file on my phone in case there should be

Hi All

the 3G network in Australia is being shutdown over the next couple of months (in my case with my carrier Boost (Telstra MVNO) this is due to happen on the 31st of August. With the entire 3G network to be shut countrywide by years end. Telstra has been playing a message to me when i make calls warning me of the impending shutdown, it says the criteria for this message being played is as follows

" If you hear a recorded message on your phone about our 3G network closure, you have a device that needs to be upgraded to stay connected after the network closes.
You’ll hear the message if your device relies on the 3G network, doesn’t support Voice over 4G (VoLTE), or is 4G-enabled but uses 3G for emergency calls.
We can’t remove the message, as it’s vitally important to ensure you’re using a device capable of contacting Triple Zero after we close the 3G network on 31 August.

As far as I can tell my 10 III VoLTE is working based on NetMon (info posted below) - feel free to correct me if im reading that incorrectly

so my question is if Sailfish supported routing of emergency calls over VoLTE?

Apparently some phones will only use 3g/gsm for this even if they support VoLTE and additionally how sailfish might handle the 000 emergency number we use in aus (in place of/in addition to 112) and the fact emergency is marked with a “X” in netmon makes me wonder if it doesnt.

General guidance for Australians about whats required is here: https://amta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Understanding-VoLTE-and-Emergency-Calls-ahead-of-3G-Closure.pdf

My Xperia 10 III says the following in NetMon - Boost Sim Card (Telstra)
Sailfish Sauna 4.6.0.13

Modem:

Powered: ✓
Online: ✓
Emergency: X
Lockdown: X
VoLTE support: ✓
IMEI:   Redacted
Features:  ussd.net.rat.cbs.stk.gprs.sms.sim

VoLTE:

Sms Capable: ✓
Voice Capable: ✓
Updated:  02:20

Network:

Technology: lte
Mode: auto
MCC: 505
MNC: 1
Cell ID: Redacted
Signal Strength: 62

I’m also in Australia, but with an Optus sub carrier, i’ve got identical details feom Netmon apart from updated time and MNC mine being 2 for Optus.
would think that if you can call then you can call emergancy.

In my case I created the directory /vendor/oem/modem-config/S40.2. Did you do something similar based on the output of ‘getprop persist.vendor.somc.cust.modem0’ on your phone? Did the /vendor/oem/modem-config/S9999.9/modem.conf file work after you copied it to the new directory?

As I reported in the first post table VoLTE worked with an Spain Movistar SIM, but doesn’t work with a Digimobil Spain SIM, a company which uses Movistar network.

Pardon my ignorance, but would it work if I copy a the Movistar file to make a Digimobil configuration?. I see my Sony Xperia 10 III has got this files for Movistar Spain:
/data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Telefonica/Commercial/Spain/mcfg_sw.mbn
/data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Telefonica/NONIMS/Spain/mcfg_sw.mbn

And I got this:
[root@Xperia10III ~]# getprop persist.vendor.somc.cust.modem0
S461.1

This folder doesn’t exist:
/vendor/oem/modem-config/S461.1

Would it work if I create it, and create a modem.conf and put this inside (as other modem.conf files)?:
mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Telefonica/Commercial/Spain/mcfg_sw.mbn

Could I break anything?

Hi! Is there any way for me to fix VoLTE on Xperia 10 III (if it currently doesn’t work with my provider) besides changing provider?
I make a lot of calls and in the past half a year or so it has gotten really frustrating because every few minutes, I can’t hear my partner and vice-versa or the call drops directly. This happens everytime, independet of my location.
This really frustrates me, so I wonder if there is a way to manually get it to work?

Just adding some new updates/info here - following on from my post VoLTE provider support - #331 by TheKitchenSink

The date for 3G shutdown has now been pushed back to Oct 28th 2024)

My further research has uncovered this document
AS/CA S042.1:2022 Requirements for connection to an air interface of a Telecommunications Network
https://www.commsalliance.com.au/Documents/all/Standards/S042.1

With a PDF of the standard available here - and from a look the relevant section for 000/112 calling is section 5 pg 17
With key sections being 5.1.1, 5.2.2.1, 5.2.2.2.1

My guess is some of these questions might need be directed to Sony if 911/112/000 handling is baked deeper in the firmware than Sailfish (and answers might be different for the Jolla Community phone for those using that)

I have a 10ii, and had to create the directory. In your case the command would be:

mkdir /vendor/oem/modem-config/S173.1

Tried to create: /vendor/oem/modem-config/S461.1/modem.conf
And put inside these lines, one by one and then reboot, then next one… (the third and fourth are based in what I see in other modem.conf files, trying to guess):
mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Telefonica/Commercial/Spain/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Telefonica/NONIMS/Spain/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/euro/telefonica/commercial/esp/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/euro/telefonica/non_ims/esp/mcfg_sw.mbn

No sucess, and no useful info got with: journalctl -t ofonod -f