Unable to set lock pin for Android apps requiring it

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Xperia III
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: It seem so according to forum posts, was working in 4.2.0.19

DESCRIPTION:

It is not possible to set a lock pin in android settings, resulting in applications requiring it refusing to start/work (e.g. banking, payment applications).
This appear to have worked in past versions of SailfishOS with Android support, and one of the “workaround” is to flash a older version and then proceed to OTA upgrade from that versus instead flashing the latest one (apparently worked in 4.2.0.19 some users have reported).

PRECONDITIONS:

Flashing the latest version versus having upgraded from 4.2.0.19

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Either install an android app requiring the lock pin to be set or try to set the lock pin in android settings (the lock pin won’t be set)

EXPECTED RESULT:

Be able to set the lock pin (in Android).

ACTUAL RESULT:

Not being able to set the lock pin (in Android).

MODIFICATIONS:

None.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Thread with people discussing the issue: Android app requiring lock pin

9 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. Created an internal bug report about this, however we already had a task about this.

1 Like

@jwalden are there any news on this issue?

My bank changed their app which requires a lock. When they stop the previous app I won’t be able to access my account any more, since they require mobile authentication.

5 Likes

Unfortunately can’t give any estimates on this, so sorry, no news.

1 Like

I would like to suggest another expected outcome:

A set lock pin in Sailfish should make the android system tell it’s aops, that there is a lock screen out of the box.

So there should no need to set an extra pin in android itself.

But an earlier implementation should be more prioritized than a “better one”.

6 Likes

To expect a proper fingerprint support in AppSupport would be good too

1 Like

How is it looking, can we expect at least a preliminary hotfix (as illustrated by @jlangenbach above) in the next release? In my case, not being able to use my brokerage app because of the missing Android App Support-level PIN support is a huge annoyance, solving this issue would be a huge relief for me (and many others, of course, as well).

1 Like

I bet this doesn’t really help, but i never had any problems with Android apps using PIN. Seven out of seven apps working as they should.

You probably mean apps that are secured with a “baked in” app-exclusive PIN, we are talking about apps that check if the whole (Android) system is being secured with a set display lock PIN/pattern/biometric signature, Sailfish’s Android App Support does not support this (yet, resp. anymore).

Ok.

So eg. your banking app doesn’t have PIN verification “baked in” (as you said it)?

Yes, it relies on the OS, instead of doing the PIN request (e.g. during logins) itself. In my case, it says “without a set up device PIN you can’t use this app”, and won’t allow any further actions until it is activated.

The interesting fact is that on older versions it was OK. So somebody missed something with the update and does not fix it for two years.

Are you really sure the app you are having problems with now is still the same version that used to work?