Request - internal call and SMS blocklist

You’re right. A minimal ‘block list app’ is probably a good idea ™.

3 Likes

I will share it soon, but I really would like to polish it a little bit prior to letting it out, as I was doing it for just my own use, and after many many years it’s the first app I’ve made on SFOS, so it’s quite messy for now. I am a little bit pedantic about those things so please bear with me…

2 Likes

Are you 100% sure about this? I’ve read a couple of posts in the 4.4 update thread that it currently doesn’t work. Or have I misunderstood something? That’s the last single reason holding me from doing the update.

I’m using it on 4.4
read more about it here:

TL;DR;
you need to uninstall it before doing update, and then install latest version possible.
In my case I also need to remove an entry from /etc/ld.so.preload and that’s it.

1 Like

And that’s it? Other than that, it works just fine? I mean still autostarts and loads all the patches?
If so then I’ll have a busy evening today updating to 4.4 :grinning:

I think so, as I say I’m using it. Tbh with just one patch enabled but yes. Maybe make a new topic and ask if peoples have any problems with it?

Good idea, thanks! Done.

4.4.0.68 finally fixed the issue with rejected calls coming back and ringing again.

Given how much faster the X10 III is compared to previous models, I was hoping that it would also finally be fast enough to reject calls quickly enough for the ringtone not to start ringing before the call gets programmatically rejected. But sadly no, it does not differ at all compared to previous models and OS versions, i.e. once every couple of times there is still 1-2 seconds of ringing before the call gets rejected. Enough to e.g. wake me up when I want to have some sleep (or if I am in a place where my phone should not be disturbing unless really necessary) and so I use the call blocking app to only allow important calls through. Unfortunately, handling the D-Bus call is too slow to reject calls before they start ringing.

2 Likes

Another plug for an in built call blocker/filter for Sailfish OS.

Ideally I’d like one where I can block some calls based on time frames/situations.

Symbian OS, remember that?, had a very good system where you could set up Calling Groups and place your contacts into various groups as desired, and then within different Profiles (more or less the same as Ambiences in Sailfish) you could select which Calling Groups you would accept calls from.

One scenario where this was very useful where you may wish to block business calls only after hours but receive these calls during work hours. Another scenario is blocking all calls except for close family/friends during certain times of the day.

7 Likes

Im wondering why Jolla still neglect to see that all community needs that and this is as mentioned already BASIC phone functionality. If this is so hard to implement there should be at least info why?

8 Likes

I’m getting daily spam SMS messages from one number. I am completely unable to block this number. On Android blocking spam numbers is 2-3 taps. This is unacceptable.

2 Likes

I don’t get it, why Jolla isn’t just adapting and including this app, as it would bring the desired function. This is a functionality that every 20 € feature phone is offering, so its a must :slight_smile:
https://openrepos.net/content/omnight/phonehook

4 Likes

+1 vote for this feature to be implemented. My situation is the same as GreatJoes, I’m getting daily SMS spam from one certain number. Other than that I have been very lucky in that I have managed to avoid all phone scams/spam this far, apart from traditional phone marketing calls once in a blue moon. But now this SMS spammer has been harassing me for a few weeks already, and it would be really sweet to just be able to block the number.

As many posters have pointed out before, blocking unwanted numbers is pretty much a basic phone feature nowadays, and I was quite shocked when I realized that SailfishOS doesn’t have that functionality. This problem has even made me consider switching to Android, which I really wouldn’t like to do. :frowning:

I’m very thankful for all the work that wetab73 has done this far trying to implement a blocking feature. :slight_smile: If I understood correctly, he has mainly tried to implement a working blocking function for calls, which is great, but has anyone tried to implement a blocking function for SMS? :slight_smile:

6 Likes