Request - internal call and SMS blocklist

As asked here already on TJC I do request this once more here on this forum.
This is a basic phone functionality (or at least a standard app).

I do get those direct mailbox calls and annoying SMS notifications more and more often. And up to now I found no working counter measure with SFOS.

44 Likes

Just in case someone new arrives here, Phonehook (Openrepos) app does block calls. Be careful to install 0.10.1 version or newer if you are running Sailfish 3.4 or newer (recovering from an “overlay-broken GUI” is tricky, though there are good guides here).

Anyway, yes, a feature like this one should be standard. About the SMS problem, I’m here because I’m getting some messages from jerks trying to steal my Telegram account (which I don’t have :sweat_smile:) using phishing techniques. And it’s 2021, seven years after I bought my first Jolla and still no SMS blocker :weary:

5 Likes

I don’t get why Jolla is not just implementing such apps as Phonehook or personal ringtone, the functionality is there. It would just be necessary to implement it. And it could be implemented as an option, so that everybody who likes it can use it, who doesn’t like doesn’t have too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We need a phone number block and country number block functionality in Sailfish OS. More and more are multiple different (and changing) numbers, but the same country code, calling with requests to get money out of people.

In a world where privacy and security is a hot topic and a mobile OS as the Sailfish OS says to respect privacy and has security on a high level build in the OS, this functionality belongs to be implemented on the OS level.

7 Likes

For the sake of goodness please implement a built-in phone call blacklist.
I am getting several calls per day always from the same sellers over and over. Either a blacklist or I have to recur to swearing on them.

3 Likes

A few community meetups before it was discussed to implement phonehook or Personal ringtone or even both i don’t exactly remember. I will search for it later. I wonder what happened to that idea, as some members were apparently quite eager to implement it. :slight_smile:

I have to correct myself it was about personal ringtone.

But did you have a look at:
Phonehook | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System :slight_smile:

Yes, but I don’t want to use patches since I install EAs from day one and I want to avoid possible side effects.

1 Like

I’d like to bump this up for @ Jolla folks to see. Blocking a number (calls, sms) is quite crutial now as we have more and more spam calls/sms (not to forget other cases such as harrassment calls).

8 Likes

As I’m now increasingly starting to get spam calls and SMS this would be a very welcome feature.
Knowing Jolla probably won’t be implemented this in my lifetime, what would be the best approach to add this by the community?

2 Likes

Ideally we should press on Jolla to implement hooks on call/sms event.

As I’ve stated in my post I don’t expect Jolla to implement this any time soon and I’m pretty sure no amount of wishful thinking will be able change that.

1 Like

How is phonehook programmed? Couldn’t it just be adapted and merged into SFOS as it actually offers the basic functionality…

I am starting to swear at the callers as an alternative method of “call blocking”.

3 Likes

BUMP! Please implement call blocking functionality. It is A MUST for so many of us!

At the moment there is no single working native SFOS application providing such functionality. Phonehook does not work reliably anymore, and it cannot access contacts due to Sailjail.

Gosh, it’s such a basic function and so easy to implement. Just a simple page to create a list of numbers and contacts to compare the incoming call’s number with, and based on that either let it ring or reject it. It should have been included by default right from the start.

Jolla, please, that one single time hear our requests and just do it.

2 Likes

New to SFOS after quitting N900, I really feel good in it with the XA2 4.3 though much less functions/peripherals/apps than on N900 (FM RX+TX, RAW pictures, infrared, reliable GPS, HWKB, blacklist and much more).

SMS and calls blacklist exists since ages and it is really useful, so I would also join to ask for this function when possible.

3 Likes

Asked same thing years ago when JP1 was released. It’s sad Jolla touting themselves as privacy-oriented company ignores such important feature, esp with scam/vishing attacs being more and more common every year.

1 Like

I too would like to see this feature normalized and included as a stock feature or app that can easily be implemented.

1 Like

I know most may use this thread just to vent heir anger/disappointment but all this probably won’t bring us forward a single inch.
Either we figure out how this could possibly be done by the community or we won’t see it for years (if ever).
See SIP support for example. Has been asked for by the community for years to no avail until members of the community (someone in this thread to be precise) decided to make it happen.

2 Likes

Bump!! This is really getting a lot worse lately. The combination of people working at & buying from home has obviously aided to the ‘rise’ of this ‘market’. Insulting scammers (which I also profoundly enjoy) is not good enough - this really must be attacked on the OS-level.

3 Likes

Not really to vent anger, but to make it visible that there is a strong need for such a functionality. If not built-in then at least 3rd party. I guess that some developers browse this forum and hopefully one of them finds it worthwhile to do it. Or even just fix one of the existing applications like phonehook, whose source code is publicly available and apparently doesn’t require much more than adjusting it to Sailjail-related restrictions and a few recent OS changes (like the nemo → defaultuser modification of hardcoded paths) causing that it lost access to contacts and communications history.

3 Likes