[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.21

Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.

Table of content

Table of content

Version history of the OS release

• 2023-02-02: OS version 4.5.0.16 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update.
  • 2023-02-09: OS version 4.5.0.16 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Installable images are available in the Jolla Shop
  • 2023-02-16: OS version 4.5.0.18 was released to all users as an over-the-air update.
  • 2023-03-20: OS version 4.5.0.19 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Installable images are available in the Jolla Shop
  • 2023-07-12: OS version 4.5.0.21 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Installable images are available in the Jolla Shop .

Stop release

This release is a stop release .

ā€“ Is 4.5.0.21 also a stop release?
ā€“ Yes. We have switched the rpm compression from xz to zstd on 4.5.0. In addition, 4.5.0 moves AppSupport to Android 11 API Level. 4.5.0.21 replaces 4.5.0.19 and 4.5.0.16 and 4.5.0.18 as stop releases.

So far, all Sailfish 4 releases have been stop releases. Because of this, if there is a reason to reset an Xperia device, please do not do it with ā€œdevice resetā€ but, instead, re-install Sailfish - see the comparison .

Important notice

Please read about the upgrade of Android AppSupport before you start the OS update. This concerns users updating from 4.4.0 (or earlier) releases only.

Jolla Blog

Read the new blog about this 4.5.0 OS release, please. It contains not only technical details but also some background for the strange nickname of this release, ā€œStruven ketjuā€.

Device models supported by Sailfish X

The supported Sailfish X devices are listed in this table .

The instructions for installing Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia X, Xperia XA2, Xperia 10, Xperia 10 II (mark 2), and Xperia 10 III (mark 3) devices are here - covering Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.

Read this, please, to learn about the Sailfish X licence.

Release highlights

The list below contains bug fixes added to Sailfish OS, compared to the previous public release 4.5.0.19. All Sailfish OS release notes can be found here .

• Fix Elements and other other Android apps using RealmDB to work inside the container
  • Fix Browser crash when using media codecs (video or audio)
  • Provide better control over sensor data rate selection
  • Fix recurring Calendar event alarms
  • Fix tile service urls for QtLocation
  • Fix sharing a web site via email
  • Fix notification popups not getting stuck when triggering an action
  • Add support for array of string-variant key-value pairs to D-Bus QML bindings.

Sailfish OS Forum: issues reported by the community fixed in this update

Technical changes

The detailed changelog is here .

Updating your device

Android AppSupport is upgraded to Android 11

OS release 4.5.0 contains a major upgrade of the AppSupport, from Android 10 to Android 11. This upgrade brings in modified and relocated app launchers, different access rights for the data directory of the apps, optimized apps, new app icons, and other changes.

When the phone has rebooted at the end of the OS update, AppSupport will start running a migration script transforming the Android apps for Android 11. While the script is running there are no Android app icons on the app grid. This is not a defect.

If there are plenty of Android apps installed on the phone, the migration process may last for several minutes.

NOTE: If you have updated your phone to 4.5.0.16 or 4.5.0.18 or 4.5.0.19 already then the migration has been done previously.

Please wait patiently .

As soon as the new Android icons appear on the app grid, the migration is complete.

Note that it is important to keep the AppSupport installed and enabled over the OS update. Only then can the migration script do its job correctly.

If you have accidentally turned the phone off during the migration, simply turn the phone on again. The migration process should resume automatically.

OS release 4.5.0 is a stop release. This release cannot be skipped over when updating a phone from an earlier release to a more recent one.

The usual update process

Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account.

Start the update from ā€œSettings > Sailfish OS updatesā€. Avoid running updates on the command line, please.

We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space for the internal storage of your device ( /home ) before starting the update. Processing an OS update of almost 1 GB requires a good amount of work area. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or to your PC or cloud service).

This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:

Take a backup of your data before attempting to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or to some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. The device screen may blank out during the update process; you may wake the display with a short press of the power key to monitor the progress.

For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Sailfish OS Documentation.

NOTE 1:

Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.

NOTE 2:

After downloading an update and selecting ā€œInstallā€ in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. You will need to type the security code before the actual installation can start. A horizontal progress bar appears on a black background, under the Sailfish OS logo. As soon as the other end of the bar has been reached the phone will restart automatically. If it doesnā€™t, please wait for 15 minutes. If it is still stuck at the 100% point of the progress bar it is time to perform forced power off . Next, turn the phone on with the power key and check the OS version at ā€œSettings > About productā€.

NOTE 3:

The Jolla Shop has the images of the latest OS release only. Keep the previously downloaded images stored on your computer if you might want to reflash one of them for some reason later on.

Notification concerning apps from Open Repos

The apps below have been reported to cause problems when installing the previous OS updates. We recommend that you uninstall them before proceeding to the OS update. At least, read the recent comments on those apps.

• GetiPlay has caused problems to some users - see this post .
  • If youā€™ve previously installed the RIME input engine from Open Repos, please remove both that and its version of libyaml-cpp before upgrading, as the latter will cause the upgrade to fail
  • If you use Privoxy , be sure to disable it before downloading the update, especially if you have configured the HTTPS-inspection. The latest update is from September. There is no information about compatibility with Sailfish OS. See authorā€™s instructions .
  • If you use Aliendalvik Control , see the authorā€™s instructions . It says there ā€œApplication has no support for SFOS 4 and laterā€
  • If you use Phonehook be careful. The latest update (32-bit) is from October 2020. The 64-bit version (Xperia 10 II) was published in May 2021.
  • If you use OKBoard (a.k.a. Magic Keyboard), update it first to version 0.6.34 which has the fix for the ā€œInstallation not completeā€ error. Also, read the authorā€™s advice , please.

Known issues

We have relocated the known issues to a table in Sailfish OS documents .

How did the upgrade go?

• I had no issues during the upgrade process
  • I had small issues but was able to handle them
  • I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)

0 voters

Help articles

The Sailfish OS help articles, previously kept in Zendesk, have been moved to Sailfish OS Documents repository.

25 Likes

First of all: thank you for the update!

Now my question: SFOS recommends removing the package mkcal-qt5.
Trying to do so with rpm -e the package manager hints to the numerous dependencies including Sailfish calender (which makes sense).
Therefore I am asking: is it save to remove mkcal-qt5 alone - and how do I do so?

1 Like

Normally people tend to ignore these recommendations during the install process. YMMV.
Update went great on my 10 III from previous version.

2 Likes

Thank you - I am also typically ignorant. However, removing a single package seemed to be a no brainer until I tried. Letā€™s see ā€¦
UPDATE: Update worked fine - ignored the warning

1 Like

Sounds odd that update recommends removing of a Sailfish OS core package ā€“ by any chance have you installed your own version of the mkcal-qt5. You can should ignore mkcal-qt5 removal recommendation.

If you have installed your own build of the mkcal-qt5, you can do following after upgrade to replace your version.

pkcon install zypper
zypper refresh
zypper in --force mkcal-qt5
2 Likes

Thank you for the explicit hint!
I am not aware that I have installed my own build of mkcal-qt5 but maybe I installed something that Damien once created (I am not shure, but Damien (@dcaliste) is great with his support for Calendar and Document issues and helped me/us a couple of times (for instance handling reoccurring events))
Anyway: I did not remove the package and both updates (Xperia 10 ii and Xperia 10 iii) installed without any issue
Great job, sailors!

1 Like

Does anyone know, if the spontaneous loss of audio is fixed somehow? At least I cannot see any hint from the changelog. Unfortunately, a real showstopper for me, as I cannot use the phone, until calls are working reliable.

You might answered in other posts (if yes, please link it) but there are some questions about this.
Is this known issue? If yes, where is a bug report?
Does it happen after reflash?

Sorry, yes, there is already a bug report and so far no real fix, that I am aware of:

Thank you! Didnā€™t expect an update during summer vacations, update went fine, just tried to crash the browser on a ā€˜liveā€™ news thread with dozens of twitter/telegram videos and no luck, rock solid, also the visual studio page that used to crash reliably now works fine, looks like the biggest gripe with 4.5 is finally gone

6 Likes

This error message is present on updating since more than 4 years. I think itā€™s only a bad translation of ā€˜The updater will uninstall this or thatā€™. I never deinstalled anything but only proceeded and it always worked fine.

edit: Update went like a charm on Xperia 10, thank you @Jolla !

edit: tested Youtube, works perfectly. Thalks again @Jolla !

1 Like

Ok, I also can confirm the frequent crashes on the browser seem resolved. Iā€™ll see in a couple of days.

Really cool, the declarative maps using OSM geoservices work again!!! Yeah! I just compiled and got
Draft map | OpenRepos.net ā€” Community Repository System running again! Itā€™s been a couple of years :slight_smile:
Thanks guys!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, worked without problems and now Audible Android app works again.

Update went without any problems. Youtube on XA2U seems to be usable again (at least in full screen it works OK even in 1080p, whereas the small window view still stutters from time to time). As for browser crashes, I havenā€™t experienced any yet. Letā€™s give it some more time.

Okay so the update itself progressed smoothly on my Xperia 10 III. :slight_smile:

But now I have no sound when making a call. I can hear dial tones, but no ringing.
During an answered call, all sounds are as normal.

Any similar issues?

1 Like

Upgrade went smooth but bluetooth turns off as soon turning on. Xperia 10II.
Anyone with similar issue?

1 Like

Also after a reboot?

1 Like

You hear no ringing while placing a call? This sounds like VoLTE is activated now and wasnā€™t before.
You can check in settings / mobile network / 4G calling

4 Likes

Zing! Yes that fixed it. I had neglected to remember that I had enabled it :joy:

Caboom - well, that was painless :+1:
cheers