Contacts not appearing in People app when restoring from backup (aka switching from Xperia X to Xperia 10 II)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): Always
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken)
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

Made the switch from Xperia X (with 4.0.1.48 Koli) to Xperia 10 II (4.1.0.24 Kvarken) and mostly everything went smoothly except there were some “quirks” with restoring some of the backed up data:

1. restoring notes created with the official Notes app failed during the process of restoring from the backup
  2. restoring People/phonebook contacts did not produce any error during the restoring from the backup BUT after the restoring was finished NO CONTACTS were found in the People app

First and foremost I came to the forums to look for an answer to the problem of contacts not getting transferred from the backup to the Xperia 10 II but could not find any topics. While searching the forum I stumbled on a topic that was about the issue of notes (created with the official Notes app) not being restored from the backup file, see: [3.4.0 onwards?] Restore backup fails when restoring notes (here: from Xperia X to Xperia 10 II )
Since I couldn’t find any topics about the phonebook contacts issue I thought that I could as well try to fix the issue with Notes with the info provided in the aforementioned topic. In the topic it is suggested to create a symlink and then do the restoring from the backup file again. The instructions for that are as follows:

Add symlink (using developer terminal or via SSH connection)
$ devel-su
# ln -s /home/defaultuser /home/nemo

Run the restore procedure

Then I removed the symlink
$ devel-su
# rm /home/nemo

And I did just that and voilá; notes were restored from the backup file as well as the People app (or “phonebook”) got filled with all the contacts I previously had in my Xperia X.

PRECONDITIONS:

Just taking a wild guess here: creating a backup with a SFOS version that precedes 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken) and then restoring from that backup in a device that has 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken) installed will result in what’s described herein. Could probably have something to do with user nemo having been replaced with defaultuser in 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken) which in turn leads to the situation where notes and contacts are not finding their correct place in the file system?

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

See above

EXPECTED RESULT:

Expected result is to get notes (created with the official Notes app) and People/phonebook contacts transferred from a backup file to a new device without problems.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Actual result was that restoring notes to the new device failed (during the restoring process) and People/phonebook contacts weren’t there in the People app although there was no error (during the restoring process)

3 Likes

Yes.
It really seems to boil down to the different users the backups were taken with, not so the version >=3.4 as only from there we had ‘defaultuser’ - what a decision :frowning: - as the standard user, earlier images as well as OTA updated devices have nemo.

I imported my contacts from an SD card from XA2 Ultra running SFOS 4.1 to Xperia 10 II freshly flashed with 4.1, and I only got 4 contacts (ones that had been put in the address book by being imported from MMS messages). The rest had been imported from gmail on the XA2 Ultra. Those are apparently either not backed up or not restored when saved to SD or cloud. Importing them again on the new device wasn’t difficult, but it’s not what I’d expect. IIRC, I had the same issue going from Xperia X to the XA2 Ultra.

The following bug is a duplicate of this one:

I’m closing the other one so that any further discussion can continue here. However, worth noting is that there’s some useful material in the other thread on how to workaround the issue.