Notes failed to restore

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia X to Sony Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

On restore from backup, the Notes failed to restore, halting the restore process.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

The existing Xperia X was backed up to SD card. The system was a fully licensed version just had minimal java applications on it.
The SD card was transferred to the new phone on the same version, and also had the full license installed along with the Android app support by this point.
The restore was started, but failed with an error for Notes. The error was generic and gave no details.
The import stopped at that point and contacts, which I believed should have been restored later, were not restored.
I attempted the restore twice, but obtained the same result.
The phone is now, “in production,” so I can not restore the backup on that phone as it upsets accounts, ongoing sms, e-mail, etc.

EXPECTED RESULT:

I expected no error and for the restore to complete successfully.

ACTUAL RESULT:

A short, generic error was displayed to show that the notes import had failed.

MODIFICATIONS:

No custom patches installed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The only thing that is on my mind which could have contributed to this, is a very long note which contains historical correspondence. The original text file was 2.85kb before being imported into Notes.

Was your old username nemo and new defaultuser? If so, that’s a known issue, there are many threads about it.

Try [4.4.0.64] XPERIA 10 III Backup restore fails -> Notes can not be restored - #5 by rgp

Yes, that was the case for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I did manage to get the notes transferred successfully in the end.

I’m glad you were able to get to the bottom of this. I’m going to close this topic, since it’s covered elsewhere, but if anyone would like to add more to it later, please message me and I can reopen it again.