List of Android -> Sailfish OS applications

As I wrote, I’m back in the boat (:tada:) and since I’m coming from a libre Android (F-Droid apps only) I wrote this list where I map each to their Sailfish OS counterpart and I’m sharing it here as it might be useful for the newcomers.

Various

App stores

Audio

Calls

• (dialler) → Phone (built-in)
  • YetAnotherCallBlocker (call blocker) → Phonehook

Camera, photos, scanners (QR/barcode)

Documents and printing

E-mail and messaging

Forums and social

• Fedilab (Mastodon client) → Tooter
  • Glider (hacker news reader) → SailHN
  • OCReader (Nextcloud RSS) → Fuoten
  • RedReader (Reddit client) → Quickddit

Maps, navigation, GPS, tracking

Passwords and two-factor auth

• FreeOTP → FoilAuth
  • Keepassx (password manager) → ownKeepass
  • MasterPassword (password manager) → MPW

Sync (contacts, files, etc)

Video

• DroidShows (TV series) → SeriesFinale
  • Libretube (youtube client) → see Newpipe below
  • Newpipe (YouTube client) → Microtube
  • vlc (video player) → Gallery (built-in)

Web

• Firefox (web browser) → Jolla Browser (built in, based on Firefox)
  • FOSS Browser → Browser (built-in)
33 Likes

Might be worth indicating “(proprietary)” on proprietary Jolla software like Messages, Settings, Mail and Media so people wanting to use only free components, or at least as many as possible, won’t think these are all fully free.

A better alternative to Jolla’s Media application is Unplayer. It has many more features, is much faster for larger libraries, and it’s free.

Also, Syncthing is easiest to use from the local web interface (which is automatically started when you run the binary), you can just create a bookmark for it in the browser and then add that bookmark to your launcher, and you’ll be able to Sync your things very easily.

2 Likes

A better alternative to Jolla’s Media application is Unplayer . It has many more features, is much faster for larger libraries, and it’s free.

Great! Thanks

Also, Syncthing is easiest to use from the local web interface (which is automatically started when you run the binary), you can just create a bookmark for it in the browser and then add that bookmark to your launcher, and you’ll be able to Sync your things very easily.

I read somewhere that the browser experience is really bad. Maybe the situation improved with latest Browser update? However… I prefer native clients more and I already started to write one for Syncthing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great! Would be nice to expand this list…

I’ve been pointed to awesome-SailfishOS and equivalentsinsailfish. It would be great if someone could expand those lists.

2 Likes

Very interested in the Matric client (Determinant), but it isn’t in the jolla store.
Is this an app that is found only in openrepos, and might it migrate to the jolla store?

I cannot edit anymore that list, so I’ll update it here instead:

I moved to Sidudict from the Jolla Store.

Clutch doesn’t what Transdroid does. I moved to Tremotesf instead.

That is really bad with this forum!

Please ping @vige and let him turn your first post to a wiki post (if you are okay that everyone could then edit it).

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to me. @ilpianista shall we do it?

2 Likes

Yes, please! Thank you

1 Like

Very interested in the Matric client (Determinant), but it isn’t in the jolla store.
Is this an app that is found only in openrepos, and might it migrate to the jolla store?

Determinant is currently only available from OpenRepos: Determinant | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System Upload to Jolla Store is not planned in near future, because many important features are still missing.

1 Like

Due to this bug in SailOTP, I suggest to use FoilAuth instead.

2 Likes

I recently changed from a Xperia X (F5121) to a XA2, both with SFOS 4.3, and I noticed that some androids apps worked in one smartphone, but don’t in another.
For exemple, the Uber android app work well in my xperia X, but dont work on the XA2. On the other hand, uber.com work in firefox in XA2, but don’t in X.
So, for situations like that, I imagined a list, were we could add what android app is working in what version system, or hardware.
I think that it wold be usefull for non-tech guys, like me. We have some like this in this forum? What do you think about it?

if this topic is still valid… I published SearchNemo and QuickLaunch in chum.

SearchNemo is to search files in your device (can launch applications) it’s not mine
QuickLaunch is an app to search and launch applications. (this one is mine)

2 Likes

Might as well add mine, so Bitwarden → BitSailor.

gPodder is also available on SFOS, which you prefer is up to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added some suggestions from this thread:

Antennapod,…->kasts from chum

Was about to add that, but didn’t find it in chum-gui :frowning: Also, I couldn’t find chum on the web, is there any way to link to an app/package there from the forum?