have network wifi or mobile data

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. start browser from app drawer

EXPECTED RESULT:

works properly

ACTUAL RESULT:

no network connection

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

browser works fine if started from command line (ssh)

a workaround exists,
check if your system has dnsmask installed and if so remove it.
this can be done with:

pkcon remove dnsmasq

after that, browser will also work from the app drawer.

1 Like

Someone mentioned the exact same problem and resolution apply for flatpakrunner:

1 Like

My cited problem above is not related to this bug. The browser works fine for me, it just doesn’t open the paged it is asked to when opening a link from anywhere unless the browser is already running.

thanks, removed link to your issue.

I confirm, browser works (available internet) by running from ssh or terminal on phone.

I also noticed some errors, they are on screenshot. (ssh)

Dzięki za utworzenie wątku. :slight_smile: (Thanks for creating thread)

Hi @akikyo could check following from your device and paste results here.

systemctl --user status booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service
systemctl --user status booster-browser@jolla-email.service

here is mine, if that helps:

[defaultuser@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ systemctl --user status booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service
● booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service - Application launch booster for Sailfish Browser (sandboxed)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/booster-browser@.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-03-25 13:34:24 CET; 2h 25min ago
Main PID: 6440 (invoker)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-100000.slice/user@100000.service/booster\x2dbrowser.slice/booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service
└─6440 /usr/bin/invoker --type=silica-session – /usr/bin/sailjail --profile=sailfish-browser – /usr/libexec/mapplauncherd/booster-browse
[defaultuser@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ systemctl --user status booster-browser@jolla-email.service
● booster-browser@jolla-email.service - Application launch booster for Sailfish Browser (sandboxed)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/booster-browser@.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-03-25 13:34:24 CET; 2h 25min ago
Main PID: 6433 (invoker)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-100000.slice/user@100000.service/booster\x2dbrowser.slice/booster-browser@jolla-email.service
└─6433 /usr/bin/invoker --type=silica-session – /usr/bin/sailjail --profile=jolla-email – /usr/libexec/mapplauncherd/booster-browser --a

have 4.4.0.58 updated from 4.3 on Xperia 10
have network wifi
browser just works
no openrepos
no special apps

just my 2 cents

Hi, my results:

[defaultuser@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ systemctl --user status booster-browser@sailfi
sh-browser.service
● booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service - Application launch boost
er for Sailfish Browser (sandboxed)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/booster-browser@.service; static; vendo
r preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-03-22 20:27:42 CET; 3 days
ago
Main PID: 5832 (invoker)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-100000.slice/user@100000.service/booster\x2dbrowser.
slice/booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service
└─5832 /usr/bin/invoker --type=silica-session – /usr/bin/sailjail –
profile=sailfish-browser – /usr/libexec/mapplauncherd/booster-browser --applica
tion=sailfish-browser
[defaultuser@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ systemctl --user status booster-browser@jolla-
email.service
● booster-browser@jolla-email.service - Application launch booster fo
r Sailfish Browser (sandboxed)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/booster-browser@.service; static; vendo
r preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-03-22 20:27:42 CET; 3 days
ago
Main PID: 5842 (invoker)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-100000.slice/user@100000.service/booster\x2dbrowser.
slice/booster-browser@jolla-email.service
└─5842 /usr/bin/invoker --type=silica-session – /usr/bin/sailjail –
profile=jolla-email – /usr/libexec/mapplauncherd/booster-browser --application=
jolla-email

I have this issue, my workaround is as follows.
got to settings → apps → browser
in there got to settings and set homepage to a webpage not startview.
what is actually happening is it’s loading the page but still bringing up the startview infront, making it appear as though the page hasn’t loaded.

1 Like

I have same issue. It seems that /etc/resolv.conf is not accessible inside sailjail.

[defaultuser@Xperia10Plus-DualSIM ~]$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            28 Mar 29 23:26 /etc/resolv.conf -> /var/run/connman/resolv.conf

Temporary fix was to replace link with /run/connman/resolv.conf that is available inside sailjail:

[defaultuser@Xperia10Plus-DualSIM ~]$ devel-su
[root@Xperia10Plus-DualSIM defaultuser]# rm -f /etc/resolv.conf 
[root@Xperia10Plus-DualSIM defaultuser]# ln -s /run/connman/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
3 Likes

After the update and reboot I opened all apps one by one and the apps asks for permissions at first launching time. I gave the permissions to all apps first to avoid access problems the apps may have with sailjail and system internal data communication.

The /etc/resolv.conf is defined as private-etc in the Internet.permission. This means that Firejail builds a temporary filesystem and copies files there. Further, this implies that changing resolv.conf after device boot (browser booster launch) won’t have effect unless you restart browser booster. Using this kind of a symlink trick you can move the actual content to a location which is whitelisted for the sandbox.

Both browser and email have specialized booster to speed up app launch times. You can restart them doing following:

# Browser
systemctl --user restart booster-browser@sailfish-browser.service

# Email
systemctl --user restart booster-browser@jolla-email.service

Worth checking if browser booster restarting works for original problem as well.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

/etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link instead of a regular file. Firejail copies it into temporary filesystem but temporary filesystem does not contain /var/run/connman/resolv.conf that is target of the symbolic link. I got following results inside sailjail with sailfish-browser’s configuration

bash-5.0$ echo /etc/resolv.*
/etc/resolv.conf
bash-5.0$ echo "$(</etc/resolv.conf)"
bash: /etc/resolv.conf: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

bash-5.0$ echo /var/ru*
/var/ru*

All users are not affected by this issue because by default connman provides dnsproxy on localhost address. When /etc/resolv.conf is not available inside sailjail localhost seems to be used as nameserver. I had dnsmasq installed that caused connman to disable dnsproxy that made network unavailable inside sailjail (in combination with broken resolv.conf). After uninstalling dnsmasq and restarting connman network is working sailjail (no need to restart running sailjail applications). Another way to reproduce the issue is to add --nodnsproxy parameter to connman.service

6 Likes

Thank you very much, deinstalling dnsmasq and rebooting solved it for me. Browser works now even when started from app grid, as do other appd formerly not having internet access (sailfish forum viewer, sailhn, piperka, …)

1 Like

confirmed, after removing dnsmasq everything starts working.
@rainemak not sure where to pass this info so dnsmasq is fixed.

1 Like

I seem to have the same problem on an XA2.

I would like to try removing dnsmasq but am not Terminal-savvy enough to know exactly how.

Could someone please tell me what commands to use?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Open the terminal, enter

pkcon remove dnsmasq

Then enter ‘y’ when asked, enter your user password or use the fingerprint reader, and it’ll remove dnsmasq for you (as well as any packae that depends on it, but anything that does is third-party and removing those packages won’t harm your system.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!
(That missing command turned out embarrassingly simple.)

After removing and rebooting, browser works now, as do other apps like SFOS-Forum and Storeman - the phone is usable again, yay! \o/

1 Like

@lolek I’m not sure to understand correctly. Did you deliberately install dnsmask?
In any case, your problem seems to be fixed. Can you mark your topic as solved and point to the solution?
Thank you in advance.