[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

I am getting an impression that the upgraded Browser is either leaking memory or using it very heavily. After watching a couple YouTube videos (only 1-2 tabs running in total) I often see RAM usage going up to 90% (and other apps start unloading). When I close the Browser the RAM usage drops back to 20-30%, and restarting the Browser gets it up to around 60-70%. At first, but it steadily grows until again other apps get kicked out. This didn’t happen on earlier versions (at least not as easily as it happens now).

3 Likes

The Advanced Mobile Location (AML) topic was generating a lot of discussion, so on @nephros’s request we’ve moved it to its own thread. Please continue the discussion on this topic there:

12 Likes

Reading the blog about the release its nice to see the date scroller for the gallery. I seem to recall someone -from the community- in the forums or on an IRC meeting had suggested it.

And the camera UI improvements.

3 Likes

The link in the “The blog about Vanha Rauma” still points to broken url “https://blog.jolla.com/vanharauma/

The working URL is: Sailfish OS Vanha Rauma brings in several new features and improvements | Jolla Blog

3 Likes

Sailfish Browser cannot load internet pages “Server not found” on my Sony X Compact, local IP-Adresses works (my router login).

Update to 4.4. went through without problems.

How to fix this?

edit:
i had problems with that before the update, solution was to reset to factory and perform all updates since 4.3 now its working!

maybe this one?
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/browser-not-working-when-opened-from-app-drawer/

And 4.4 is out, and there still isn’t ncurses-libs5 in the package repositories. Is it going to be added?

2 Likes

Before upgrade to 4.4.0 there is a recommendation to “Remove or revert harbour-storeman”, but how can I do it?
I have tried following:
devel-su pkcon remove harbour-storeman

but it resulted in a message “This tool could not find the installed package: Url scheme is a required component”.

I have currently SFOS 4.3.0.15 and Storeman 0.2.11 (on Xperia X).
Thank you

I was holding on so long with the 4.4 update that now I am not sure whether it still makes sense to install the current EA release or rather wait some more for the ‘proper’ (non-EA) one. Any hints when it might come out?

Search & read first!

I.e., update Storeman in Storeman to v0.2.12 and then again to v0.3.0.

Oh, shame on me, I somehow missed it that it came out today:

OS version 4.4.0.58 was released to all users as an over-the-air update.

Question remains whether it is the same as EA or some changes have been made… I guess I’ll re-download it just to be 100% sure.

1 Like

Presumably if the general release was different from the EA then it would be .59 or greater, and it appears to still be .58 - so I assume its identical.

3 Likes

Well, I re-downloaded it, anyway. Everything went 100% smooth, except for:

• contact avatars gone (fortunately, restored from backup)

• further 300 MB taken on rootfs, now 2.1 GB used. Amazing growing speed. Fortunately, I recently resized my rootfs to 4 GB so I still have 1,9 GB free left. Or else I would be running out of space now… I’m starting to regret that I didn’t resize it to 6 GB…

Other than that, everything works. I don’t have any of the problems that others are reporting.

1 Like

Thanks, I was asking because in menu ‘Settings/Sailfish OS updates’ it sais ''Remove or revert harbour-storeman" but I did not understand how to remove it.

Should’ve been enough to just long press on storeman icon and then the ‘x’, weird the cli command didn’t work

Again (sigh!): The proper way is to update Storeman before upgrading SailfishOS to 4.4.0; then the message to remove Storeman should not appear.

1 Like

You can do so on your own if you want by following this guide:

1 Like

Thanks. I have downloaded this file
and tapped on it, clicked “install” and it came with a message: “Problem with installing harbour-storeman-installer”.

Before this attempt, I have tried to do in command line “devel-su pkcon refresh” but it resulted with “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

It seems, I cannot remove the Storeman nor can update it. How can I proceed?
Can you please help?

After reading all the complaints in this thread, I am amazed that my update went without any serious problems. I uninstalled (and then reinstalled) Patchmanager and Storeman prior to updating, as well as OBEX filter Off and @daliste’s ofono patch, both of wihich the update was complaining about, and that’s it. Everything went smoothly, didn’t get stuck at the end, etc. Everything works: phone, WLAN, Bluetooth, browser (from the icon, too), and so on.

Remarks:

• I am worried about further hundreds of MB eaten by the update on rootfs. Before the update I had some 1,8 - 1,9 GB used on rootfs, now it’s 2,1 GB. Did the update itself add 300 MB, or are those some leftovers which should have been removed? Fortunately, I resized the partition to 4 GB or else I’d be running out of space now! Is this common for this update to eat 300 MB? Now the OS itself is reported in Settings/Storage as occupying 1,9 GB, plus 140 MB native applications and a few MB of system logs. Are your 4.4 systems also taking whopping 1,9 GB???

• After the update I installed a newer version of File Browser from Storeman. It has a bug in its desktop file. In [X-Sailjail] section it has Sandbox=Disabled whereas it should be Sandboxing=Disabled. It starts working correctly only after changing it.

• After the update some 90% of contact avatars disappeared. Fortunately, restoring the backup brought them back.

• Almost every problematic application can be fixed for now by disabling sandboxing this way. For instance Mashka was only seeing itself, but after modifying its .desktop file to disable sandboxing it works as usual

• It seems that the nasty problem with connecting to hidden WLAN networks has been fixed, which I am extremely thankful for.

• It also seems that I can finally send some MMS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (but not always, large images fail, probably they don’t get automatically resized to meet the limit). I still cannot receive MMS if it doesn’t have the subject string.

• The browser works OK, but when started from a URL shortcut/icon saved in launcher app grid or by clicking an URL, it still shows its starting view, which then can be dragged down to reveal the actual page behind it.

• Battery life / CPU utilization doesn’t seem to be any different than on 4.3.

• Storeman (reinstalled after the update via Storeman installer installed from Chum) now at each launch shows an error notification that he couldn’t find some repository. But then it works normally.

• More to be tested soon.

2 Likes

As you already have a Storeman > 0.2.8 installed, it should offer you an update of itself to 0.2.12 or 0.3.0.

You may also try removing Storeman at the GUI, as @throwaway69 suggested.

But likely both actions will also fail, because every pkcon command you used resulted in “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

Before this attempt, I have tried to do in command line “devel-su pkcon refresh” but it resulted with “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

It looks like there is something severely wrong, unrelated to Storeman, likely with your repository configuration.

How can I proceed? Can you please help?

Open a new thread (“topic”) here at FSO, address me via @olf in the text and paste the output of ssu lr in a section between two lines with solely three backticks (```) in it. This is most easily done at an PC when being logged in to your SFOS device via SSH.

P.S.: You may also just upgrade SailfishOS, it will remove Storeman, but I strongly suggest to fix the issue which is exposed by pkcon refresh first. When pkcon refresh works fine, this also a viable route.