WayDroid on SFOS?

I typed the package name (when installing using zypper). Try searching “waydroid settings”, without hyphen, in Chum app.

It is fine to keep both Waydroid Runner and Waydroid Settings, and use based on your requirement. Although, if you open Waydroid Runner when a session is active, it would ask to restart the session I think.

1 Like

Waydroid settings is nowhere to find, but a ‘zypper install waydroid-settings’ as devel-su in CLI installed it. In settings menu, the ‘Waydroid’ item occured immediately, above the Sailfish Utilities, with options Start session on bootup, Start and Stop daemon. I started the daemon manually. A second ‘Waydroid’ icon occured on the app grid. They look identically, but can discern them by the position on the app grid.

The first one (the Waydroid UI, Android GUI) works as always IF the other one (daemon) is switched off.

If the Waydroid GUI is off, and the daemon is turned on by ‘Waydroid’ in ‘Settings’ , how can I now start an Android app from the installed ones? There’s no extra icon (starter) on the SFOS app grid until now! What have I to do to create icons on the SFOS app grid for the Android apps?

edit:
unfortunately it crashed seriously. With Waydroid in Settings I could switch Waydroid daemon on or off, but without effect or function. The new Waydroid icon also did nothing. But the old Waydroid icon still started the Waydroid UI. But this is now history, nothing more works AND the browser and AllRadio again had no more internet access, while mail and the 3 app shops still have. So the network itself works. Why is always Sailfish Browser’s and AllRadio’s network access blocked if Waydroid has a problem, while other network depending apps still work?

Several reboots and network resets by Sailfish Utilities, that helped at installation time (a few days ago) to bring back the network, didn’t help anymore!

Now it’s not possible to deinstall the rests of Waydroid from the phone, and browser and AllRadio have no network. What can I do?

I have no idea why is the network affected. I haven’t experienced something like that.

You need to disable Sailjail restrictions in the new Waydroid icon desktop file that showed up with installing waydroi-settings, for it to work.

To do that, add
[X-Sailjail]
Sandboxing=Disabled

To the desktop file (will need to be root)
/usr/share/applications/waydroid.desktop

Now that clicking that icon should open a UI if the waydroid service is running.

To have Android app icons in the sailfish app grid, have to run the unmodified waydroid script by cloning the waydroid git repo manually at least once from the terminal. Waydroid packaged in Chum has this icon creation part removed so that it doesn’t clutter the Sailfish app grid with android apps, is my understanding. Anyway, even after getting all the icons, will have to further modify every waydroid app desktop file that gets created under ~/.local/share/applications to bypass Sailjail restrictions for it to run. I do not know if there is some other easier way.

1 Like

It crashed and did nothing more, eternal spinning circle. I tried to deinstall and reinstall. But there are rests of the old installation and so Chum reports Waydroid as installed despite it is not. Browser and AllRadio get still no internet conection, other apps get. Rest of the apps are working.

With my limited knowledge, I am at the end. Please can somebody help?

Configure, disable or remove dnsmasq.

2 Likes

Reference this post, removing dnsmasq brings back connectivity in browser.

1 Like
pkcon remove dnsmasq

and restarting the network with SF Utilities brought the browser back. Allradio also playing again. Thank you very much!

edit: but I have damaged the Waydroid by trying to deinstall it and deleting folders in the system as devel-su. How can I restore Waydroid and make it work again? or deinstall it restless from its present unknown state and then reinstall in a clean way?

edit: presently it shows a spinning circle and ‘Starting Android Session’ eternally on starting. Sandboxing is disabled in waydroid-runner.desktop.

edit: Browser not connective again, so I did ‘pkcon remove dnsmasq’ again. Result: Waydroid icon on app grid disappeared.

edit (the last one in this post): installed Waydroid again to make my A* apps work again (I want them!), and start Browser and AllRadio by CLI shortcut, that works. I’m curious what will be found as the reason for this bug.

It is available at https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/home:/heng/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/python3-gbinder-python-1.0.0+git1-1.1.1.jolla.armv7hl.rpm

3 Likes

does SFOS waydroid work on any Sony Xperia devices aside from tama?
say, just as a random example, the Xperia 10 iii?

i would assume no, since the kernel needs to be built with a bunch of options and modules, but maybe it already is? or there’s a nice easy way to drop-in replace it?

i got so used to waydroid i dont wanna go back to aliendalvik, but tama is no longer an option unless jolla+community somehow gets volte support for it in the next 2 weeks…

2 Likes

Does anyone.have a.hint.for.tvat issue ?

volla phone

Did you try this already?

Yes, i did disable dnsmasq and now i did also modified dnsmasq conf
nothing

i do not get stuck in init session but wait for ui :frowning:

I had the very same effect, and eventually gave up. There obviously is a way to break things in ways the packagers of the software did not have in mind.
Inspired by this thread, I simply uninstalled the settings package and re-installed the starter icon. It immediately worked and is very reliable now. I hope you finally reach this state, too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did also uninstalled all once.

did you install settings or rummer ?

I only installed the runner. It seemed to do all the things I did to manually start Waydroid UI from the terminal in a sensible manner but it didn’t work in the first place.

did you uninstall via chum gui, that is rather painfull with the depending packages

Actually I don’t remember. There’s so many ways to install or uninstall applications these days … shell history suggests I used pkcon, but the packages of course came from Chum initially:

$ history | grep pkcon.*waydroid 
 233 pkcon search waydroid-runner
 235 pkcon remove waydroid-settings
 236 pkcon install waydroid-runner

hmm, i have no waydroid-settings installed

waydroid status says:

session and container are running
vendor type : HALIUM_10
session user: defaultuser(100000)
wayland display: …/…/display/wayland-1

and waydroid log

failed to get service waydroidplatform

[nemo@phone ~]$ waydroid status
Session:        RUNNING
Container:      RUNNING
Vendor type:    HALIUM_10
Session user:   nemo(100000)
Wayland display:        ../../display/wayland-2

Looks similar to me …
If the status says that both session and container are running, have you ever tried starting the UI with waydroid show-full-ui via a terminal/ssh? This is actually how I used waydroid until the launcher worked.