Beta VoLTE on the Xperia 10 III, disabled by default

We’re very happy to announce that beta VoLTE support will ship with Sailfish OS 4.4.0.64 “Vanha Rauma” on the Xperia 10 III.

As this is still an early beta, it will be disabled by default. Brave users willing to test it out are invited to enable it, with the understanding that not everything will currently work as expected.

We’ve put a huge amount of effort in to getting a working VoLTE telephony stack, but it’s impossible for us to test it in all situations and with all service providers. We’re therefore keen to receive feedback about your experiences with VoLTE if you’re willing to try it. You can participate in the VoLTE beta testing by purchasing Sailfish OS for your Xperia 10 III here.

Enabling VoLTE

You’ll need to have developer mode activated in order to perform the steps needed to enable it. The beta VoLTE on the Xperia 10 III can then be enabled by executing the following command at the console (be careful to get the whole command: you have to scroll horizontally to see it all):

dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=org.ofono /ril_0 org.ofono.IpMultimediaSystem.SetProperty string:Registration variant:string:auto

To disable it again, use the following command:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=org.ofono /ril_0 org.ofono.IpMultimediaSystem.SetProperty string:Registration variant:string:disabled

At any time you can check the VoLTE status of your Xperia 10 III using the following command:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=org.ofono /ril_0 org.ofono.IpMultimediaSystem.GetProperties

The “Registered” entry indicates the status of VoLTE registration

All of these commands assume the relevant SIM is in the first slot. Replace /ril_0 with /ril_1 in the above commands to apply them for the second slot. If you have multiple SIMs VoLTE is only expected to work for the SIM selected for data.

Not every SIM and not every provider has VoLTE enabled and 4G/LTE is required to make use of it. If you find you’re not able to activate it, it could be for these reasons.

When VoLTE is operational, voice calls and text messages won’t interfere with 4G data transfer, but other than that you shouldn’t notice any other differences.

VoLTE on other devices

Beta VoLTE is only available on the Xperia 10 III while we iron out any kinks. You won’t find the required packages installed on other devices. Our hope is to roll out support for Xperia 10 II devices once further testing is complete, but that’s not the case just yet.

Please share your results

Please share your results with the VoLTE beta by adding them to the provider Wiki page. If you experience issues, please let us know, providing as much detail as you can, including the name of your service provider.

19 Likes

Is it because still only 1 sim card can work in 4g?

So that means XA2 and 10 I users will certainly not get it? :confused:

I would like to know an answer to the above question, too. Could you please inform us which phone models are you planning to make VoLTE available for?

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m not sure; I’ll have to check and get back to you!

We’ve not made any statements either way about these devices (as far as I’m aware).

1 Like

Could we please get a blogpost getting into the implementation details of VoLTE on SFOS once it leaves beta status?

5 Likes

I would love that. I’m not sure it will be possible, but I can try to arrange something!

8 Likes

Maybe the blog is not the right place for it, but instead a forum post or something. (Might be too technical for the blog?)

1 Like

May I suggest a user poll about what devices the users would like to have VoLTE on? It should be an MCMA poll, for I for example have several applicable models :slight_smile:

This obviously would make most sense to start only after X10III support is out of beta.

Great work getting VoLTE done* and letting users beta test it out!

4 Likes

Wonderful news! Thank you, @flypig and the whole crew. See you over on the wiki page once I get this installed and up and running.

1 Like

We look forward to seeing you there!

What about Xperia 10 II?

You won’t find the required packages installed on other devices. Our hope is to roll out support for Xperia 10 II devices once further testing is complete, but that’s not the case just yet.

Is there a way to install those packages on other devices to test now?

Soon:

VoLTE on other devices

Beta VoLTE is only available on the Xperia 10 III while we iron out any kinks. You won’t find the required packages installed on other devices. Our hope is to roll out support for Xperia 10 II devices once further testing is complete, but that’s not the case just yet.

Would those packages also work on the 10ii (for highly experimental testing purpose?) :slight_smile:

About the flashing process… The flashing-README.txt says that “During the flashing process you will be asked to download the required image” but this is only true for the flash-on-windows.bat file, which tells you the firmware description if the blob is missing. This is not the case for flash.sh for Linux. And neither of them provide the full filename or MD5 sum of the file…! I am quite certain this is the case for other Sailfish X packages as well.

No, wait. Now that I dig the files further, there’s a link to the Sailfish X install help page in flash-on-windows.bat file, but on in flash.sh nor in flashing-README.txt. The page tells me the filename, finally. And actually, there seems to be a link on Jolla Shop front page, but it’s quite well out of sight between the device links and frequently asked questions; I only found it there just now. To me, a link that has a text “here” doesn’t really convey the importance of it.

Could you please at least add the link in the readme file in the downloaded packages, and make the installation instructions link stand out in the page? Thanks!

Now, onto flashing…

@flypig A question. Can VoLTE be used on ported/community devices?

4 Likes

I kept on getting this error message:

<< getvar:secure     FAILED (remote: 'GetVar Variable Not found')

I had updated my X10III to Android 12, so I thought it was that, but using Emma to flash Android 11 didn’t help. Disabling autosuspend with powertop didn’t help; I had to disable autosuspend altogether:

echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend`

Now the flashing proceeds as expected, and I’m at the “Ahoj!” screen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried it on the US by chance?

2 Likes