Sailfish in the USA

Has your service provider perhaps shutdown 3G support? You’ve posted in the Sailfish in the USA thread, so I assume you’re in the US where this seems to be happening now with the major carriers. If Red Pocket runs on one of these carriers that has shutdown 2/3G support then that could explain why you can use 4G for internet and messages, but not 3G.

4 Likes

I am in the us. Red pocket uses T-Mobile and AT And T. Just reading around it seems they killed 3G a couple of days ago.

So is the Sony XA2 not 4G?

Sorry I dont understand phone Tech all that well…

Just read this Status of Xperia Phones after 3G Shutdown (3G Sunset) by US Wireless Carriers | Sony USA

looks like my awesome little sony had had its voice turn off…

Sooo can I transfer my sailfish license to another phone?

Sailfish on XA2 is not able to do calls on 4g. This would require Voice over LTE technology (VoLTE), which currently is not available.

So That means no more sailfish for us in the US? Are there any alternatives or options for US users??

im sorta stunned. I.cant believe im the only person in the US that has lost access to sailfish.

Currently I am going to need to get another phone and I want to get something thatbI can put this os on.

Anyone have any suggestions ??

Ok so this is what has happened to me 2 days ago with my Xa2… So all these years using sailfish and now im Dead in the water…

I don’t have a secondary phone so I have not been able to receive or send calls. Since no one hardly calls It may have been out longer but dang I am not sure what to do or what phone I can get that is not expensive to run sailfish here in the US. Any Suggestions?? Thanks

The only possible option you have at the moment if you wish to stay with Sailfish in the US is the Sony Xperia 10 III. This has a beta version of the VoLTE functionality on it that users can enable if they want to try it out and help test it. Look here:

I don’t know whether it would be available on your service provider, but you can find the latest results of community user testing on various networks and in various countries here:

Basically at the moment its at your own risk as the VoLTE functionality on this phone is still in Beta mode.

Its also only on the Sony Xperia !0 III. Jolla have plans to bring it to the Xperia 10 II next, but nothing has been said by Jolla about VoLTE availability on any other supported phone, including the XA2 - so we may get it on this model at some point, or we may not.

And before you say anything, Yes Jolla are way behind the curve on this one and perhaps should have done something much sooner with regard to VoLTE - but we are where we are and history cannot be changed.

1 Like

Hi @808 , we’ve been talking, worrying, and strategizing about the 3G shutdown and its implications for SFOS USA users on this forum for several months. Perhaps because you were on an MVNO you didn’t get the text messages from the carriers warning you that the XA2 would no longer function as of June 2022? Receiving those messages from T-Mobile kicked off my quest to find the next US-compatible device many months ago.

Fortunately as @Steve_Everett put it, the Xperia 10iii works beautifully on US carriers and IMO is the best, most effective and seamless SFOS experience since the XA2. Based on community tests so far we are able to get 4G LTE service on TMobile USA (and associated MVNOs) and GoogleFi, so you could probably even keep Red Pocket service if you’d like. Jolla’s licenses are device-specific so you can’t ever transfer between phone models. But based on everything we’ve found in this forum, I highly recommend biting the bullet, finding a 10iii on eBay and purchasing the associated 50 Euro license for SailfishX. I’ve tested 10 and 10ii and IMO the 10iii is worth it for the connectivity problems it solves.

I know it hurts to give XA2 up. I loved my XA2 and I agree, it was a workhorse. But with the networks sunsetting 3G it won’t work for anyone in the USA regardless of what operating system is installed.

4 Likes

Same here, I would maybe realize it after a few weeks (or maybe not) if voice services suddenly stopped working :slight_smile:

Maybe forwarding your number to a SIP provider would be a temporary work around?

The Xperia 10 III was extremely cheap on eBay a few weeks ago, I paid maybe $450 for a brand new, boxed phone.

2 Likes

How do you access the Web portal on your phone though. At least for me on 4.2, I had to build a workaround, but google found and closed that workaround recently

1 Like

I am back from the road trip. I’ll write more about that tomorrow. The big news for tonight is that I am successfully sending and receiving photos on MMS on T-Mobile USA on the 10iii using 4.4.0.64.

Using MMS Log app, I watched the errors, then messed with the MMS settings. I decided, out of desperation really, to change from fast.t-mobile.com to epc.tmobile.com and IP6 only, and that was the magic combination.

I have successfully sent MMSes containing a text message with a photo from my phone to a couple of other people, and they confirmed receipt and sent me multiple MMSes with photos attached.

And @808 - last year I observed a tower climber up on the T-Mobile tower nearest where my wife works. That same day, her 3G coverage/calling near that tower disappeared. My theory was they were starting to peel off 3G radios to the barest of minimum for coverage and replacing them with 5G radios utilizing those frequency bands. I theorize that for the next month, you could travel to a different metro area and you would still get a 3G call out on your XA2. But yeah, the 10iii is the best SFOS experience yet - by a long shot.

I used GPS this weekend and I turned it on initially in SW suburb of Chicago, then turned it off until I was in mid-MO. It snapped right to where I was in MO within two seconds. I had installed MLS Manager before I got on the road, so that may have helped. It truly has been the most pleasurable, though not yet perfect, SFOS experience I have ever had. For the first time, I am starting to consider that I may have a device that will beat out the N9 for my favorite phone - and that’s saying a lot in my book.

11 Likes

Thank you all for the info! I will keep my eye out for 10^3.
But man that phone is massive. It could double as a snow shoe in a crunch.

It took me a min to get use to the XA2’s size after coming of the Jolla phone and before
that; the venerable N9.

As stated in a private message. For all my criticism of this OS… I am missing it and it’s uniqueness. I am going to go to a Nokia 950 Lumia for a hot minute and ponder how much I will miss the OS I have been using this for almost forever… the old saying is true. You don’t truly appreciate what you have until it’s gone.

4 Likes

I thought the Sony Xperia 10 III would be too big, but when I got it I found that, despite its 6" screen size, its actually physically not that much bigger than the XA2 overall. Its narrower, thinner, and about 12mm taller than the XA2. This is mainly because it as a higher screen to body ratio than the XA2. But, overall, its a way better phone than the XA2.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching and wading through the threads while enjoying my 10iii, wondering how SFOS was faring. Sounds like the 10iii has become the all-around best device yet for Sailors. Even being stuck on Android now, I have also been very pleased with it myself.

I have some curiosity to sate, though. Any other Mint users receiving communication about the 3G sunset? I received both the 6700 and an email, the 10iii seems to be identifying as a 3G device to them. Seems strange, I know the modem inside is looking for some different LTE bands, and its 5G is incompatible with our networks, but I don’t recall a single time where I haven’t been on either LTE or LTE+. If I don’t have LTE, afaict, I just don’t have a signal. And I’ve been using VoLTE the entire time, and this is on Android. All signs seem to point to a false positive, but it does concern me.

@davidrasch @cyberlyra Funny you mention RCS replacing MMS, Google ended up disabling it due to rampant abuse of its ability to push ads in India. I have doubts we’ll see MMS support end any time soon when such a service can be abused. I use Simple Messenger which has no RCS implement, and I refuse to ever enable RCS in that respect. And yet, even in that regard, I’ve not had good luck with MMS on my device. I set a photo to a client recently regarding a data transfer, they came in later in the day and informed me that no message ever arrived to them. I also had a coworker send me my schedule in an emergency, and it’s been almost 24 hours since that event with my phone having received nothing. So, even with regard to Android, MMS is unreliable. I suffered so much trying to make it ever work on Sailfish, and it’s hilarious that I still have issues on a new device and differing OS. Maybe my phone number’s cursed.

You mean this one? I guess July 1 will get very interesting :grin:

Using MMS Log app, I watched the errors, then messed with the MMS settings. I decided, out of desperation really, to change from fast.t-mobile.com to epc.tmobile.com and IP6 only, and that was the magic combination.

Ahhh MMS works!! At least photos anyway. Thank you @Ras72 !!!

We’re all in this together. You paved the way for me to even get the 10iii and continue with SFOS. So I literally couldn’t have done it without you! Glad to be of service to the community.

8 Likes

And really, the source knowledge goes back to @deprecated from years ago. I know he’s still here somewhere. He should get a 10iii now!

4 Likes

I just use it on desktop for the web portal. I set it up on my One Plus and then switch the SIM.

@cyberlyra @Ras72 pardon the tag, Sending photo MMS works but I’ve noticed I can’t download MMS. What are your experiences? Maybe I need to try network situations (ie. No Wifi, Just-activated Data, etc)

Also thank you to the both of your for your contributions to this community <3

1 Like

@LSolrac (ahhh, Carlos spelled backwards…I get it) No worries about the tag. :slight_smile:

Yes, I am able to send and receive MMS photos consistently. I can only do it when I am on cellular data, however. If I have WiFi enabled, the MMSes won’t come in. I’ll get a notification and “downloading”, but it does not complete. This was also the same behavior on all of the phones, IIRC. I receive multiple photos daily for work, and I send photos at least every few days. Many times, I am on a phone call with one of my coworkers who will try describing something, then finally take a photo and text it to me while I’m on the phone. As such, they tell me they sent the photo and then see when it arrives and that time difference is usually one to two seconds. In fact, this is now faster for me since before VoLTE, my voice call dropped the phone to 3G. Now with VoLTE, my phone call and texts can work at the 4G speeds.

If you can’t receive MMS messages while on cellular data only, then I would recommend that MMS Log application and maybe we can work through together what it is reporting and why you cannot receive the MMS messages.

2 Likes