Android 13 and SailfishOS on xperia 10 III

You dont need to reinstall sfos before recovering from the backup?
i should have read that more carefully.
i was only playing around with home and root because i wanted to see what effect encryption has. Your approach is probably better

You dont need to reinstall sfos befote recovering from the backup?

Correct, thatā€™s what makes it worth trying on a daily driver. Reinstall is a real chore.

Thatā€™s the reason why I only mentioned uncompressed backup in my post. Compression (well, at least gzip that Iā€™ve tried) is quite slower and doesnā€™t seem to be helping much.

I donā€™t remember having seen any banding since I started using Android 12 (along with Android 12 binaries), but I havenā€™t tested it with nightish. Iā€™ll give it a try.

Well, Iā€™ve only ever used A12 binaries together with Android 12 OS as base for SFOS (and that was actually the reason of using them - to have a matching pair), so I canā€™t tell how they behave on top of Android 11.

Anyway, as I wrote earlier, I actually havenā€™t noticed any improvements that would result from changing the binaries because all fixes (including the echo issue, banding/color tint and fingerprint sensor functionality) apparently come from upgrading the underlying Android OS to version 12 or 13, and not the binaries. So I guess it is OK to just stick with Jolla recommended A11 binaries, or in case of using Android 12 as base OS for SFOS one may also use A12 (v2a) binaries to have a matching pair that may POSSIBLY give some advantages (or not :slight_smile: ) but in that specific combination (Android 12 62.1.A.0.675 as underlying OS, Android 12 v2a binaries) after weeks of tests donā€™t seem to be causing any issues.

You do need to reinstall SFOS prior to restoring the backup in the case that you wiped the existing SFOS installation (e.g. by reflashing Android using EMMA). Or in such case you need to at least manually flash the remaining partitions that SFOS uses, which are not in your /dev/sda79 backup (that only contains rootfs and home). Namely:

fastboot flash boot_a hybris-boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b hybris-boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img
fastboot flash oem_a Sony_binaries.img
2 Likes

We should compile that info into a wiki post

4 Likes

Good idea. One more thing worth including in such a wiki post is that after restoring the /dev/sda79 backup it is sometimes not possible to add new fingerprints without doing the following. The existing fingerprints work OK, but if one wants to add new ones it takes wiping them and the cache first, as suggested by @ric9k here:

systemctl stop sailfish-fpd
/usr/libexec/sailfish-fpd/fpslave --remove-all
/usr/libexec/sailfish-fpd/fpslave --flush-cache
systemctl start sailfish-fpd

and then it works as usual. Iā€™ve tested it multiple times after each restore and it always works, so thereā€™s nothing to be worried about, just an additional easy step to do after restore.

This is regardless of underlying Android OS version, binaries version, etc.

3 Likes

(which took it from @spiiroin here :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Uh, and this binaries experiment gets even weirder: color banding, or ā€œpaint blobsā€ is also gone now. Damn, turns out I shouldā€™ve taken photos of the device screen to document Iā€™m not crazy :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking at the exact same ā€œWorkā€ app launcher folder I screenshotted earlier at Android 13 and SailfishOS on xperia 10 III - #61 by lkraav and thereā€™s zero weird color banding on screen, everything now looks exactly like in the screenshot - translucency, shadows are all perfect.

Maybe lighting conditions were different. This color banding issue only becomes apparent with very low screen brightness, so with an automatic display brightness it takes being in a dark place to see it.

Yes, confirmed! In a pitch black dark room, color banding is visible. OK I think now thatā€™s all there is to know about it, thanks. Will test full A12 juggle next week.

3 Likes

oh yeah, I donā€™t have the Sony anymore, but remember that colorsā€¦ man, how bad they were. With A12 or A13 thatā€™s solved

1 Like

Hello, picking up this thread on the ā€œbackup wikiā€ subject. I am not very fluent with linux bash but is it even possible to use dd on a ā€œliveā€ device? Will I not get corrupted data? Or am I missing something?

I think I answered it myself. It is not live. Sorry for the uninformed question.

[root@Xperia10III dev]# umount /dev/sda79
umount: /dev/sda79: not mounted.
1 Like

Sda79 actually contains 2 partitions: root and home. Thus sda79 is not mounted but its contents are. On a live system those change during dd and corrupt the backup. The backup should be done via the recovery.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight. Can you confirm it works like this:

• flash the hybris-recovery image respectively to boot_a and _b using fastboot
  • reboot
  • telnet to the device
  • file a public key on the device
    ā†’ then proceed with dd activity via ssh?

By the way, the above command didnā€™t work out for me but I was able to make it work like this (sshā€™d into device and as devel-su):

dd if=/dev/sda79 bs=4M | ssh myusername@
address 'cat > /mypath/dd/backup-sda79_$(date
 -I).img'

As a side note, I found out that when running dd on Sailfish it seems impossible to monitor the data transfer by either calling ā€˜status=progressā€™

dd: invalid argument 'progress' to 'status'

or to view the pipe content by inserting a ā€˜| pv |ā€™ as in was suggested on some forum:

dd if=/dev/sda79 bs=4M | pv | ssh potato@address

result:

bash: pv: not found

Anyway thank you very much for your help!

Try

watch -n5 'kill -USR1 $(pgrep ^dd$)'

from another telnet session to get update about dd progress every 5 seconds.

There are a couple of approaches in this thread. One is this which matches what you say

Thanks for pointing it out.
Your linked post by @wetab73 only partially matches my query as I want to dd my /dev/sda79 to a network drive as suggested by @olf and not to an sd card (itā€™s a size issue). I am currently using telnet and investigating netcat which appears to possibly run in recovery mode.
I only have a limited idea of what Iā€™m doing but I find a discrepancy between the way recovery mode seems to work and the idea of ddā€™ing large data via scp. OTOH, ssh and with it scp seems to preclude copying an unmounted volume because it would run on the same?

If you guys think that this discussion is misplaced here please say so and I will remove it and attach it to an appropriate thread (havenā€™t found one so far) or open a new one.

Maybe this helps you? Android 13 and SailfishOS on xperia 10 III - #78 by thigg

Thank you for reminding me of this. It is helping me a lot now that I understand a little bit more about what I am trying to do.

Meanwhile I managed to send the dd stream via netcat to a local volume. For anyone interested:
Target side:
nc -l 19000 | dd bs=4M of=/pathto/volume/Sailfish.img

Source side:
dd bs=4M if=/dev/sda79 | nc 10.42.66.xx 19000

Monitored progress with suggested Android 13 and SailfishOS on xperia 10 III - #95 by wetab73 (thank you). It took ages but it looked to be a success.

Will try the publickey move you suggested for further investigations.

2 Likes

What does it take to have ddrescue in SFOS recovery image, anyone here done the thought exercise?

cc Full dd backup of rootfs and /home as flashable images - #23 by nephros