[4.1.0.23][4.0.1.48] No notification sounds (ringing, SMS, alarm)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): second time so far
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10
UI LANGUAGE: Slovenian
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes (compared to v3)

DESCRIPTION:

Twice so far (first time was with 4.0.1.45) notification sounds stopped working - no alarm, no ringing, no SMS alert tone), in addition if I go to Settings → Sounds and try to change the volume there, the Settings app freezes for about a minute (this doesn’t happen if I use the buttons to change the volume, although volume changes have no effect – notification sounds aren’t played despite volume being at 100%)

Phonecalls work normally, and I can hear the other person without problems

Rebooting the phone seems to fix the problem

PRECONDITIONS:

Unknown

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Unknown

EXPECTED RESULT:

Sounds work

ACTUAL RESULT:

Sounds don’t work

This has been happening quite regularly now.

Also forgot to mention, there’s no vibration for notifications either (but the phone does vibrate while I’m using the keyboard).

I can confirm, on Sony XA2 Ultra running 4.0.1.48.
The only available choice under Settings -> System -> Sounds and Feedback (or whatever this is called in english) -> Ringtone is “no sound”.
I used to have similar issues with mp3 files being used as ringtones which became unavailable, but this time even the build in ringtones are unavailable and greyed out.

That’s a different problem then - I still see all my ringtones, and they do play if I select them, they just don’t play when the notifications should happen.

Hey “awesome”, we might have found another bug :wink:
Thank you for sharing, will open another bug report.

Any news regarding this? This has been happening nearly every day, and I’ve missed several calls.

To add a little more to this; since the Koli update, switching from a silent Ambience to my normal daytime Ambience leaves Ringtone and Message sounds (the only two that vary between my Ambiences) set to ‘No Sound’. They then have to be manually set back to their correct sounds.

This is not fixed in 4.1.0.23 – my phone isn’t ringing and vibrating again when people call me, and Settings app freezes if I try changing the volume there.

This has been happening regularly to me too. I now need to make sure I restart my phone each night so that my alarm goes off in the morning. I’m not sure what causes it, but every so often audio completely stops working - a restart always fixes it, however. To be clear, the alarm part still works, it just doesn’t make a noise. This is on Xperia 10 - 4.1.0.24

I’m pretty certain this was made worse with 4.1.0.24. My ringtone is coming up silent when receiving calls, while playing media still makes sound - though this is all over the place, and sometimes all sound fails. Mic and earpiece are fine, however.

Just had it happen today on 4.1.0.24, too…

I believe what might have been causing my issue was bluetooth - still a bug, but given I don’t use bluetooth, my audio keeps working.

I do use bluetooth, but I’m pretty sure the issue didn’t happen with SFOS 3.