[4.1.0.23] Volume buttons have no effect to the actual sound volume

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 20%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.23
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2 Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: Greek
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

It’s been three ocassions so far that I was adjusting the volume using the Vol hardware buttons to put the phone on silent or remove it from silent without success. By going to the settings I can see that the actual phone volume doesn’t change when using the hardware buttons.
The volume bar that is displayed as an overlay on top of any screen goes up or down and into silent as expected but the actual ringtone status is not updated and this becomes obvious when going into the Settings screen.

A restart fixes the problem

PRECONDITIONS: Uknown, happens randomly

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. On Lock screen or any screen press Vol Down button till the phone goes on silent
  2. Go to settings > sounds
  3. The actual volume level will not be in silent but stuck in some previous value

EXPECTED RESULT:

Phone should go on silent

ACTUAL RESULT:

Receiving a call or a message will result in notification sounds generated

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)
Potentially related to this:

Interesting, this sounds like the opposite problem of what I’m having (in my case phone doesn’t play any notification sounds, nor does it vibrate; hardware volume buttons show the volume slider, which appears to work, but phone remains silent; tapping the volume slider in Settings makes the Settings app freeze for about a minute).

Yeah I was thinking that it may be similar since in the case you are describing it could be that the phone is stuck on the Silent setting and although you can see the volume bar it is always stuck in the last position that it worked which in your case could be the “Silent”.
So in what I observed the actual volume happens to get stuck to a value like 20% while in what you observed it is stuck in 0%.
However in the problem that I am describing I can actually use the volume bar inside the settings menu to adjust the volume, the screen doesn’t freeze.

In my case the slider isn’t stuck at 0% - it’s at full, but when I touch it, the whole Settings app freezes for about a minute (SailfishOS shows the notification asking me if I want to wait or kill it); after about a minute, Settings unfreezes, and the volume slider responds, but sounds still don’t play, no matter what I set.