Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

The question is if really buyable. Let’s say that they now decide to support the 10 IV. When would they be able to release SFOS for it and would there be still any untis still buyable first hand? And even if they only decide to support the 10 V (that is not even announced yet). How long past the announcement will it take before Sony add it to the AOSP program, publish the necessary code and binaries for it, and only then Jolla spend months on porting SFOS to it and achieve a “releaseable” condition (probably still beta, but let’s say usable)? Will it be any sooner than it was in case of the 10 III (i.e. literally last units still reachable)? I’m afraid that it’s a closed circle, unless they start to protect a sufficient batch of devices themselves as soon as they start working on support for that model and then offer them via their store when they manage to bring SFOS to it.

Is V announced already? If not then IV is the best bet, sitting on III when sony does shit all with its aosp does nothing really, jolla’s own components and bugs will get fixed and that should help III, IV and V if and/or when they get their port, trying to have an official port for the latest aosp device still helps people who want the latest device that might even have warranty, instead of russian roulette on second hand market

2 Likes

I’ve bought an Xperia iv last aughthum. the Xperia iii was more expensive. My Jolla C (daly phone ) is aging. Please make an SFOS port. There can’t be much different HW and SOFTWARE between both models.

I think it’s obvious, Jolla cannot allocate atm enough resources to port sfos on 10iv unfortunately. Equally so 10iii bugs will not be fixed either as they seem to be related to aosp binaries which is unlikely to be updated by sony.

I do not want to sound pessimistic but that’s the reality i think.

It is enough that the Sony binaries for such a new phone model are completely different and it takes doing all the adaptation from scratch anyway. Note how even just a newer version of those binaries released by Sony for THE SAME phone model (e.g. Android 12 or recently released Android 13 based binaries for the 10 III) can’t be used with SFOS (flashing them results in a non-bootable or at least incorrectly working device) and Jolla doesn’t even think about making the effort to update SFOS for such new releases of binaries, because it takes a lot of work. And that even though the hardware in such case is THE SAME.

So imagine how much work it takes for binaries for a (even just slightly) different hardware. And in case of the 10 IV not only the SoC is different but the binaries are based on a different Linux kernel (5.4 vs. 4.19).

AOSP binaries for the 10 III were updated by Sony MULTIPLE TIMES. There are:

• three Android 11 based releases (v7 - v9)
  • two Android 12 based releases (v2 - v3) in June and July 2022
  • one Android 13 based release (v1) in December 2022.

The last version supported by Jolla is the Android 11 based v9 release from February 2022. The three newer ones quite possibly contain some fixes or improvements.

See binaries named “Lena” on the following site - they are for the 10 III:

6 Likes

That is quite informative. Sad that Jolla can’t find time/resources to build on the latest updates from Sony as that might help with the problems.

I am pulled between hope and despair when it comes to my Xperia 10iv.

I really hope they finish making a working port for 10iii before anything, would they announce early that the next phone will be 10v, I wouldn’t blame them. But it would be very helpful to get an update early when they are preparing for a new phone. That makes it easier to buy one and thus also buying Sailfish X.

I’ll sell my 10iv the moment I know it won’t receive a port. My XA2 Ultra works really well, especially with the new camera module I just put in. I do not want to change it for a barely functioning device. However, I would be happy to try out the 10iv if or when it should become available. I could use it as a secondary phone until it is stable.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know if Android support would still work on an unofficial Android 13 port for the 10iii.

1 Like

I’ve heard about people that have bought Sailfish X and been able to extract the Android Support. Though not permissible, it might work. Don’t know if the forum or community favours that, though.

During Fosdem 23 Björn, developer from Jolla specialized on porting sailfish to new devices had an interesting talk about the procedure. Have a look at the video:

5 Likes

Sony binaries .img can be browsed using e.g. 7zip, so individual files (libraries, drivers) can be extracted from newer releases and replaced / tested by those brave enough.

3 Likes

And the camera will focus, roaming will work like a charm, your banking app will suddenly work without Google and if you order on a sunday, the guys from Jolla will deliver the preinstalled phone directly to your home.

2 Likes

Just to brag a little, my banking app works like a charm.

3 Likes

You might have got the secret preview.

I do not have any problem with banking apps either.

Banking works here also.

The German Postbank App is working too…

What did I just start?
:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

:rofl:

2 Likes

I do not know, BUT have you heard the latest: THE NORWEGIAN BANKID WORKS!!!

1 Like

Summerized we can say some banking apps working under Sailfish or a number of Sailors have got the secret preview too :slight_smile:

But this all becomes off topic now …

1 Like

Getting back on topic:

I’ve understood there are community ports for Xperia 1IV and 5IV (?), has anyone tried them out? Are they good?

Does anyone have any news about 10IV?