Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

If I am not misstaken, the answer about Xperia 10 mark iv is that it is plausible that there will be a port. I wasn’t there so I couldn’t ask what they meant by that.

According to a dictionary the word plausible means

‘Seemingly or apparently valid, likely, or acceptable; credible.’

So it is a stronger word than ‘possible’, and weaker than probable.

5 Likes

If there would be some voting, I’d be against supporting 10 IV. SFOS has a lot of things to handle still and not chase the rabbit each time.

1 Like

besides it’s too late to dedicate resources to it.
if they start now, it’s gon be ready by NY, and then in 2 months 10mk5 arrives and another 2 months later 10mk4 is nowhere to be found.

2 Likes

that’s why imho the 10IV should be skipped and 10V if so supported. But if not, then 10IV support and 10V skipped. that would probably allow to keep some resources.

1 Like

I think the provided answer was no answer. We all know it’s plausible, what is missing is the resources to do it, which I guess are not there or not available at the moment. That’s how I read it myself, unless there is a community initiative meanwhile.

1 Like

I see the point of skipping 10iv, me wanting it is a selfish desire because I have the phone.

I realize work is put into making 10iii stable. Might be better to finish that first and wait for the next phone in line, be it 10 V or 10 VI, or whatever. I realize I jumped the gun.

After having bought a new camera for my XA2 Ultra I am very pleased with how it works.

My 10iv is still in its box and only test run for an hour or two. I can sell it and get myself the next one in stead. Would like a heads up, though, about which one will be the next one so that I can get it at a good price…

1 Like

Dont just loose hopes on sony Xperia 10iv yet…sfos support will be here for it as it has more fan following the sony Xperia 10 iii… definitely the sfos will be a surprise release i am sure of it

1 Like

Indeed. You have made this point repeatedly.

I can see the frustration about the problems with the Sony Xperia 10 III, but I don’t see any reason why it should block the development/port of other devices. For myself, I still looking forward to get SFOS on the Xperia 10 IV

3 Likes

Jollas answer from the community meeting:

Jolla: Sony Xperia 10 IV is plausible candidate for the officially supported Sailfish X device. (ViGe, 08:06:32)

7 Likes

I am sure when sony Xperia 10 iv gets the sfos update…then that will be a game changer for the os itself…surely it would give a better results then that of sony Xperia 10 iii

2 Likes

please tell more sweet nothings

1 Like

That sounds great, but are there any meat to those bones?

1 Like

This is based on what? Same ram, some drawbacks compared to 10III and only slightly faster cpu?

The 10III should be a game changer, but still imho os isn’t out of beta, so no game changing yet

3 Likes

Slightly faster cpu makes alot of changes my friend and a battery 5000mah is like giving an extra life to the phone… Android it is like superb experience already but if SFOS decides to join the game then it will be best software experience for anyone out there…this is the truth

1 Like

Still not convinced. A game changer for me would be a port (free of usual bugs) for Xperia 1 IV.
Yes, I know, Im dreaming, for both parts, the port, and bug free sfos…

BTW: Been using 10 III and 10 IV both with android. Both are really fast to the point I see no difference

2 Likes

Nothing new should be supported until the current challenges are addressed and completed: VoLTE out of beta, Camera2 API support so that cameras can normally be used, echo cancellation finally dealt with, etc. Otherwise, not only the 10 III would end up in its current semi-finished state, but any of those unfinished things would be simply carried over to another model. Note that I am not even mentioning 5G support or VoWiFi that Jolla isn’t even talking about at this point (and without which one can’t imagine any serious future for this platform in a longer term), and if they now focus on implementing a wholly new device then they surely won’t have any resources left to start working on 5G or VoWiFi in any foreseeable future.

9 Likes

Except echo cancellation bug is not carried over from previous models, and it will be the same with IV introducing its own batch of bugs due to how sony treats their aosp program (like the configs in aosp kernel vs closed ones @lolek found not so long ago), every device is bound to have its own set of issues and there’s not much jolla devs can do about it. Spreading too thin is probably not helping, but not supporting another device is also bad as getting new XIII is already problematic, and the second hand market tends to have faulty devices overrepresented (suuuure there’s nothing wrong with it, I just got bored, don’t look at my complaints in r/xperia how my device is faulty and can’t be arsed to send it for a replacement)

Actually, the 10 II also had (still has?) the echo problem, just different (in the speakerphone mode rather than the earpiece mode). I don’t know if the root cause is the same or not, though.

Of course it will. But I meant something different. I meant that introducing support for a new model takes a lot of time and work, anyway. Even just to address that whole lot of new challenges that you’ve just mentioned.

So - knowing how limited their resources are, and that they surely won’t be able to do everything at once - the actual question is whether Jolla should first focus on bringing VoLTE out of beta, implementing the Camera2 API, at least starting to think about some sort of support for things like 5G, VoWiFi, etc., or maybe instead of that they should focus on supporting a new model that without any of those features will end up as just a slightly newer and slightly faster 10 III, but with still only one camera usable out of 3, no 5G, no VoWiFi, a semi-working VoLTE, and so on.

And it’ll always be like that until Jolla themselves start selling it. I mean buying a batch of devices (I’m sure they can assess the right number based on their licence sales in the recent period of time) and offering them via their shop (which obviously would not mean that one couldn’t buy it elsewhere). Otherwise, with every new model it’ll look exactly the same as with the 10 III because there will always be a considerable delay between when Sony launches the device and Jolla manages to port SFOS to it.

I am agreeing with you on most points (except the device specific bugs (tinfoil hat on) whether on purpose left in aosp (hat off) or not), but there are downsides to both choices, not supporting a buyable device means most adopters have to resort to second hand market and then you have bugs that are 1% in new xperias ending up being 5-10% (just guessing) on sfos, totally unexpected, right?
Edit: and there’s really nothing jolla devs can do if official aosp is just sabotaged, the skeleton crew at sony can’t steal proper kernel configs from closed source version even legally aside from the intent question

Edit2: and don’t get me wrong, aosp ‘sabotage’ doesn’t have to be malicious or googol funded, it’s enough for corpo goal alignment to result in this, if aosp is low priority project all talented devs avoid (who cares about /e/ or lineage or sfos users, buy our closed devices, that’s where promotions and bonuses happen) we’d end up in exactly the same situation with sub-par product even though they can and do release better (then again if you look at xperia subreddit 90% of bugs even on 1 and 5’s are 1 to 1 the same as on sfos, with weirdly enough blue/greenish tint being absent on this forum, is it too hard to sell such obvious fault on second hand market, or is the different compositor behind it… hard to tell)

1 Like