Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

On 11th May 2022 in Germany the new Sony Xperia 1 IV, Xperia 5 IV and Xperia 10 IV will be published. Of course, it would be great if one or more of these would also receive a sailfish os support in the future. I hope one of them will be soon part of the ASOP of Sony.

5 Likes

Here a video to the new Xperia 1 IV: https://youtu.be/WD08WCi0e5A

1 Like

The Xperia 10 IV, on the other hand, is to come in the colors blue, green, violet and white for 499 euros on the market – this corresponds to a surcharge of 70 euros compared to the Xperia 10 III.

3 Likes

you’re only 1 year early

12 Likes

4 Likes

The Sony 10 IV was presented today with all specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_10_iv-11522.php

I must say it is quite amazing and a big leap from the 10ii or 10iii

Here is the comparison, unless the data they provide is not that accurate, 10IV seems to have slightly better processor and larger battery compared to 10III.

The downside is that we have to wait for more than 12months for a SFOS port.

4 Likes

The 10IV has OIS which is a great feature, largely disappearing even from other high-end phones.

3 Likes

I am not seeing a great deal here. Upgraded CPU (690 → 695) with 11% bigger battery, a few grams lighter and ever so slightly smaller. Some audio/video enhancements.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11522&idPhone2=10698#diff-

The CPU looks to be slightly better with a die shrink and the advantages that accrue from that. 10% bump in clock speed and A78 architecture for the main CPU units.

I already acquired a 10 iii as my Xperia X is reaching EoL after a lot of service and use, so the 10 iii it will be for me as soon as Jolla release a stable version. The 10 is longer than the X, not ideal IMHO.

2 Likes

Today Sony published a new blog to the Sony Xperia 10 IV: See here the link: Xperia 10 IV | Snapdragon | 5G Smartphone | Sony DE

2 Likes

The comparison shows a downgrade from USB 3.1 with display port to USB 2.0. Does the display port by the way actually work with SFOS?

3 Likes

the question is if it will work after unlocking the phone.

1 Like

From 3.1 to 2.0! Why? To make it cheaper?

2 Likes

Of course it works, it is managed by the camera directly.

1 Like

Looks like there’s some work ongoing to make it work: https://github.com/mer-hybris/qt5-qpa-hwcomposer-plugin/pull/93

5 Likes

I checked the datasheet at different online resources and everybody else than gsmarena states that the 10 iv also has usb 3.1 with video out, so gsmarena probably got that wrong.

3 Likes

I went and bought the 10 IV the other week, as my Xperia 10 Plus Dual-SIM was really getting on my nerves with recurring ghost-touch issues that just would not quit.

So, I’m now quite interested in seeing support for 10 IV eventually :slight_smile: Honestly, if there’s a non-zero chance that the 10 III installer produces a somewhat usable phone on 10 IV then I’ll probably happily run that to get back to SFOS.

All Sony smartphones have now the same ratio: 21:9. Meant for watching films. This narrow phone feels good in the hand, but that’s all for me. I never watch films on such a small screen apart from a short YT video occasionally. This ratio is still a bit weird in my eyes. I wished Jolla went looking for another brand. Does Motorola have open devices? Fairphone? Gigaset?

2 Likes

Fairphone I guess would be one of the more sane partners but there might be issues.
But they at least keep the possibilty of battery change.

Maybe sailfish should be my next go, everything these days seems to be based on compromise on things but at least I can get away from Google.

I understand sailfish have recording calls as default? Wonderful.

For now I’m still running on an LG V20.

Any news on the next supported phone from SFOS?

1 Like

it would be nice if in general we could get support for smaller form factor devices,
all these new phones look huge to me and just a square brick with no character.
with the 4-5G and Volte issue i know it’s a lot to ask,
but currently the only decent device(to my eyes) is the XA2;small and has some curves.