Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

As far as i know “only” for Xperia 1 and 5 Mark1:

1 Like

Right. Ok. So I was misaken. Thanks!

I must say Im genuinely suprised. I had many problems with 10 III before and after the last update. I decided to go back to XA2. Today I decided to do fresh install on my 10 III, flashing with 4.5.0.19 image. Most of the problems doesn’t exist anymore. Why? I don’t know. Maybe best way to update is to backup and flash device with new version. Data Connection works like a charm (Poland-Play). Phone usability much improved. No more problems with GPS, everything is working good so far. Im not saying this frequently but GOOD JOB Jolla! Finally I have fast SFOS device that is suitable to be a daily driver. The only thing is, why didn’t I got that by doing simple update?

8 Likes

I had the exact same experience with my XA2 Ultra. I reflashed the phone with a 4.5 image (don’t remember exactly which one) and it works wonderfully well. Hoping for an as good port for the 10 IV.

5 Likes

Did you have the data connection issue before?
Did you reboot after reflashing, and if so does data connection still work?
Did you notice that this is the topic for the Xperia IV series? :slight_smile:

For all three questions asnwer is yes.
For last one -I knew that, just wanted to quote my reply as it was in this topic
Im using the phone for few days now, Expirenced not even one problem known before.

I was metioning I need a lot of android apps because of my work. Now I don’t need second android device as my SFOS 10 III does everything is requied.

Fast and stable device with only good alternative os doing everything I need - That’s why I joined jolla community and I finally have it.

3 Likes

Just to confirm, you had absolutely no data access before reflashing, or just no hotspot?

In my case data connection problem was a bit different. It worked fine for some time, then when it switched from 3g to 4g in some cases 4g and range in status bar dissapeared. Once it was back, no internet connection was possible.

On the other hand while data connection was working hotspot worked without any issues

1 Like

The last 4 posts were off topic completely. …

Maybe this topic should be closed until there is any new information. The four comments are about a stable/an unstable port for 10 III and maybe how that might affect the probability of a 10IV port. But you are right, they are off topic.

However, there is no new information about there being a port to any of these phones (1 IV, 5 IV or 10 IV). We don’t know if Jolla is working on them, or if they are thinking about working on them. Hopefully there could be some sort of hint soon.

2 Likes

I asked a question about the possibility of there being an official port for the 10 IV. It will come up in the community meeting on May 25th. Community meeting on IRC 25th May 2023 - #3 by martinbook85

I was asked if it isn’t bad for Jolla to use its limited resources for this since the 10 V just has been announced. Community meeting on IRC 25th May 2023 - #4 by wetab73

My answer to the question is the following:

I have sympathy for your argument, but as there has been a release for almost every Xperia mid range model since XA2, I bought an Xperia 10 IV in the hopes of having a port for it. Of course, I did buy it knowing there might not be a port for it. Anyway, this is why I am asking the question. I want to know.

The problem, as I see it, is that Jolla does not announce in time that there will be a port. When there is a port the phones are difficult to come by. This was the case for the 10 III. Or, at least right now the 10 iv is sometimes cheaper than the 10 iii.

Besides, as I have understood it, the difference between the 10 iii and 10 iv is greater than between the 10 iv and 10 v.

I would hope for this: Jolla finds a collaboration model with Sony where they are given (can buy) the phone model when it enters the market and with the prior knowledge it will be in the open device program. That way Jolla can release a port earlier than now and tell their customers in time that there will be a port. The current system is not working.

I would be fine with Jolla supporting less phones, but I do feel there needs to be clearer communication, earlier, what phones they will support.

If they won’t be able to support the 10iv I need to sell it as I am very happy with my Sailfish experience on my XA2 Ultra but want a faster phone. I think I will be able to use the XA2 Ultra a year more, but the new camera module I bought for it is starting to act up like the old one did.

5 Likes

By the way. I just saw this community port, haven’t seen it before: GitHub - SailfishOS-SonyXperia/device-sony-murray

Does anyone know anything about this community port?

EDIT:
Someone corrected me and said it is the android device repo and not a port. Any other comments are welcome.

Well, I bought the 10 III in the hope that all its three cameras would be supported, its echo cancellation issue would be solved, its display color banding issue would be fixed (sadly, the community-provided fix does not work for me) and its VoLTE support would grow out of beta, at least to the point that I would hear the tone when calling someone. None of which has ever happened. So not all our hopes or wishes materialize…

Fully agreed.

And that’s exactly why I am suggesting that they should finally exit this closed circle by focusing on supporting the 10 V that will be available over the next 1-1,5 years, rather than the 10 IV whose last units will disappear from stores over the next couple of months.

The 10 IV and the 10 V have the same SoC (different than the 10 III). Hence my suggestion to first focus on a port for the 10 V, and then back-port it to 10 IV (for those few people who bought it in hope that it’d support SFOS), which should be quite easy given that they share the same chipset and mostly the same hardware in general. But doing it the other way around, i.e. first supporting the 10 IV and only then (possibly) the 10 V, would mean that they follow exactly the same scenario as before, i.e. always start supporting a model that is just being replaced by Sony with a new one, and hence its availability diminishes at sight.

2 Likes

Granted. That is why I ask the question in order to get an answer in the meeting. I am not really arguing for there to be a port for the 10 IV, just hoping there will be since I have one in a drawer.

I think that the Community Meeting threads are meant to only have suggestions for topics, any follow-ups or questions can be asked or stated in the meeting, not in the thread itself, that is why I suggested you rather make a new topic where you state all that is needed according to the template and make the point for rather focusing on the 10 V. Besides, the very point you are making has been made here (maybe by you?).

Actually, I agree with you, maybe it would be better to skip 10 IV than to focus on more than Jolla can handle. But for this thread and the other, I just want an answer to know what I should do with my phone.

Actually, here I would say this: Maybe you are right, but you could look at it the other way. If Jolla would work on a port for the 10 IV now and get it done before the 10 V is on the Open Devices List, maybe they could announce a port for the 10 V quite quickly after it has been added to the list of Open Devices. Don’t you think?

3 Likes

Nor am I. I’ve only expressed my opinion.

As I wrote, I won’t be able to attend that meeting, so I won’t create a topic that I won’t then present. Hence, instead of that, I wrote a very short comment (merely two sentences, basically just informing that the 10 V was announced one day earlier so it should be targeted first) and that would have been all from me if some people didn’t turn it into discussion about where and how I should post, i.e. something definitely much more off-topic than my short comment.

Yes, but only later, following your request to post here.

The 10 III has been in the Open Devices Program since mid 2021, i.e. for almost 2 years now, and so what? Considering all the issues that remain unfixed (or unsuppored) until today, I would say that it still hasn’t progressed past beta stage. So expecting them to add support for two more models rather than just one can only make things worse.

Please note that for each device Jolla has to rely on AOSP binaries provided by Sony, each of which brings its own issues, as Sony doesn’t seem to care about their quality a fraction as much as they care for their stock Android. Which means that both the 10 V and 10 IV binaries would most probably bring some new unique issues (and maybe also carry on some of the old ones), similar to those known from the 10 III like the echo cancellation, color banding or excessive power drain. And on top of that still no support for Camera2 API, etc. So it’s not that Jolla would just release OS files the 10 IV and “that’s it”, and they could just move on to supporting the 10 V. It would mean that they’d have a bunch of 10 IV-exclusive issues to struggle width, in addition to 10 V ones.

1 Like

I think that Xpeira 10 III owners want to upgrade to Xperia 10 V. Me having a dead Jolla(1) and a Jolla C as my daily driver bougt an Xperia 10 IV last black friday. Much cheaper than the Xperia 10 III model. Hoping that Jolla would support SFOS on this device. It seems I was stupid. Maybe I could hope for a community port? I understand Jolla’s dilemma too support either Experia III model IV or V. If Jolla has resources I hope for both.

1 Like

As an Xperia 10 III user I don’t want to upgrade to another low end phone with basically 0 difference in power while my current device is still suffering from software issues, and also it’s low-end old hardware is still not fully functional and supported in SFOs.
Why upgrade to basically the same hardware when software is still the problem?

1 Like

What do you suggest? Try to get a used Xperia 10 III and try to sell the Experia 10 IV. I need help to desid. Jolla C runs Android 4.4 and some of my Android apps can’t be install. What Sony HW should i by?

I have no clue what jolla plans and what will work for you, so I cannot recommend anything.
All I can say is that I personally got two 10 III for 120 each (for me and a friend) and I see no measurable difference in specs from the IV or V.
I would very much prefer jolla to support only ONE device for 2-3 years, and also make it a high end device like the Xperia 1 for example.
Cause I don’t see the point “supporting” devices that don’t perform anymore, support doesn’t look like it’s actually doing anything, or jumping to the next similar model while the previous is still not working properly.

3 Likes