Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

But xq-cc72 is not included…i purchased wrong version of it😞… really a bummer

Let’s hope the 72 model will be supported too. Not easy to find out but I found the differences. It’s just in the sim cards. And also I prefer the 72 model with it’s two nano sims

1 Like

I was just considering buying a 10 iv until I saw you mention the xq-cc72 not being a supported device, and saw that the device I was looking at was also a xq-cc72; so thanks for noting that, but apologies that there isn’t a clear answer as to whether it will be supported!

Looking at:

Nothing yet regarding Sagami (1 III and 5 III) or Murray (10 IV), which both have a newer kernel (5.4) vs the current supported 10 III (4.19).
Also the Nagara (1IV) runs an even newer kernel (5.10) and we don’t know yet what the V version of Sony devices will get as kernel.

Seems to be a lot of new kernel suppport needed from the Jolla team if they are going to support these newer devices.

Keeping my fingers crossed they will go for it. It would certainly enlarge the market if these newer devices will be supported. Only the focus seems to be more on business partners (automotive and other businesses) and not so much new mobile users.

5 Likes

i think that sony has just forgotten to add cc72 to the list, because if you check the open source firmware you’ll see that it is available for both XQ-CC54 and XQ-CC72

2 Likes

Just bought an Xperia 10 IV, too (XQ-CC54). Really hoping for a port for this phone in the (near) future. I was able to get it for quite cheap through my carrier. Impossible to get a Xperia 10 III for that price.

My XA2 Ultra still works fine but I think I might need to reflash it in order for some problems to go away. Mainly that I have problems with data traffic and that my car stereo/computer (Skoda Octavia 2015) restarts every few minutes when my Sailfish XA2 Ultra is connected.

I have been running /e/ OS on my Asus MaxPro M1 as of late because of the problems with my Sailfish XA2 Ultra. It works really well and is my second choice if I cannot run Sailfish OS.

Starting up and running Android on my new Xperia 10 IV just feels awkward. Great that everything on the phone works, of course, but I do not like that Google meddles with everything on the phone. Really longing to be able to put Sailfish on it or, second best, /e/OS. Worst case scenario maybe I can sell it…

Does anyone know if anyone in the community has started looking into the 10 IV?

1 Like

Same here, I also bought one. Let’s cross fingers for a port. Unfortunately, my XA2 is not suitable as a daily driver anymore. The known GPS and calling problems interfere too much with everyday life.

1 Like

Well, I have been able to fix the GPS problem on my XA2 Ultra by bending some connections inside the phone. Found a tutorial somewhere.

I might try to salvage that phone before I decide what to do with the 10 IV.

As Im in possesion of new 10 IV I would like to see official port for it too, but there is something more I would like to see. Stable port for 10 III as of right now, after this big update Im still sitting with xa2 as 10 III is still unusable as everyday driver

5 Likes

Interesting. I asked about X10III daily driver quality at [Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.16 - #18 by lkraav and multiple people said it works fine. (Or at least as good as my current X10II, which indeed would qualify for “fine”.)

What are you seeing different? Maybe you could reply in :point_up: thread?

2 Likes

I am using the Xperia 10 iii a daily driver and am quite content. Device specific, I only miss the full camera support (and stereo sound like on the 10 ii - but that would be luxury that even Android does not provide).
Of course there is a wish list (that equally applies to all devices, for instance 5G support and maybe VoWifi) like better hotspot support for certain carriers (for instance CLAT implementation) etc. But both, my 10ii and my 10iii are reliable and stable
And I am not sure whether Jolla should skip 10IV support or rather should further improve the experience with the 10iii (and older devices). However, I immediately would jump on the 10IV when it should be supported

5 Likes

Anyone hear any news about the 10 iv? Will someone bring it up on the meeting on Thursday?

3 Likes

I think I read somewhere on the forum that there is no news - that there has been no development work on it in the ‘git’ thing (whatever that is) or any announcement that it will be supported.

1 Like

I would be interested to hear whether it might at some point (within say two years) be supported or whether it for sure won’t be. Then I’d sell mine as soon as possible.

I’d also like to hear where I should look for the next device now that the III is generally out of stock.

1 Like

if they’re going to change the existing ‘policy’ of supporting every succeeding midrange handset released by sony, then they ought to inform users that they’re considering a change in this policy.

whether or not any armchair lawyers want to argue against the existence of a ‘policy’, there is certainly an expectation that the 10iv will eventually arrive, and people will make purchases in response.

1 Like

You have both II and III? Is there any way for you to record side-by-side app launch performance difference video? Or do we know any such videos exist already - links?

With some uptime and memory pressure, II does get sluggish (probably some swapping etc).

I’m wondering if I should pull the trigger and migrate my II → III, as I don’t really use the extra cameras often enough, but extra daily driver performance would be nice to have.

Look this video:
Xperia 10 II vs Xperia 10 III - Running SailfishOS - Which one is better?

4 Likes

The will bring up the topic of the Xperia 10 iv on the next Community meeting.

2 Likes

As an owner of a Xperia 10iv due to the screen shattering on my XA2, would be keen to know of any update. Picked up the iv the hope it would get support, but not counting on it.

3 Likes

I picked it up because I got such a good deal on it. I am thoroughly hoping for official support as well. On March 30 they will bring the topic up in the community meeting. Hopefully there will be an answer by then.

2 Likes