[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.16

idk why, but dalvik doesnt want to start.
has anyone got commands for me?
maybe the good ol terminal can help me…

1 Like

Installing with AlienDalvik installed breaks AlienDalvik completely

@jovirkku, can you please remove the bullet point for Storeman in the section “Notification concerning apps from Open Reposfor good (i.e., also for subsequent SailfishOS releases). I think this is the kind of feedback you requested by stating “The status here has not been checked for 4.5.0 yet. Let’s do it in the Early Access phase.

Reasoning:

• The statement in the bullet point for Storeman is correct, except for the last sentence “Note the mention on Chum GUI.”, which does not make any sense AFAICS (where? what?).
  • But the statement “We recommend that you uninstall them before proceeding to the OS update.” in the introductory paragraph makes users senselessly remove and reinstall Storeman. While this is a nice test for the Storeman Installer, it is superfluous, thus causes unnecessary and tedious work for users.
  • The reason for Storeman being problematic when the SailfishOS 4.4.0 EA phase started was that it was unmaintained for months. I started to take care of Storeman shortly before that and the SailfishOS 4.4.0 EA release hit me completely unprepared and unfamiliar with Storeman’s code base.
  • Since then Storeman’s infrastructure has been adapted to handle breaking changes in SailfishOS much easier.
  • AFAIR Storeman did not prevent SailfishOS from being upgraded to v4.4.0 in contrast to most of the other apps mentioned in that list, it just did not work and many people complained immediately, because Storeman is critical infrastructure for OpenRepos (i.e., the only GUI app for accessing it since SailfishOS 2.1.4).
  • Hence I see no reason for an explicit warning, any other maintained third party app is as likely to be broken by a new SailfishOS release. Note that this is different for most of the other apps mentioned in that bullet list, because they are unmaintained (except for Privoxy and the OK-board, which seem to be architecturally problematic).

Ultimately this bullet point for Storeman triggered a mass test of the fresh Storeman Installer 2 and the current Storeman release on SailfishOS 4.5.0, which obviously went fine (i.e., not a single complaint, yet). Hence I think now you can and should cease asking users explicitly to test the Storeman Installer and Storeman. :wink:

P.S.: @nephros, you may want to take a look at Privoxy and provide feedback to @jovirkku, specifically WRT the second and third sentence of the bullet point for Privoxy.

P.P.S.: Side note / nitpicking: It is spelled “OpenRepos” since its inception, not “Open Repos” or “Openrepos”, as Basil explicitly noted somewhere.

5 Likes

Upgrading my Xperia 10iii stopped, when the progress indicator had gone to the end. The device didn’t reboot automatically and nothing seemed to happen. Waiting about 5 mins, then pressed simultaneously long press power+volume_up+volume_down until the device rebooted.
The same problem happened last October when upgrading to ver 4.4.0.72.

5 Likes

Any chance you can use a better header image for this release, as this map is really missing the beautiful Finnish atmosphere as we got in previous releases.

Suggestion:

https://visitjyvaskyla.fi/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/oravivuori_srgb_300ppi_visit-jyvaskyla_photo-jukka-paakkinen_1600x900.jpg.webp

2 Likes

I’ve seen chatter about

• mobile data can fail in various ways
  • wifi hotspot fails
  • only 1 / 3 cameras supported
  • massive echo problems on calls
  • bluetooth car audio issues

Do you have all these working fine, esp. in 4.5?

5 Likes

Without the map image of Struven Ketju, I wouldn’t have bothered looking up what it represents. A magnificent geographic milestone of its time. I like the choice.

Isn’t this more like “NFC is now off until the device screen is unlocked”?
I.e. an option in some middleware bits, that is now permanently set.
At least i can’t find an option, but the behaviour seems to have changed.

3 Likes

Xperia 10II, upgrade went well but it seems be a high battery drain. Needs more testing.
Did not try restart yet.

Woah, though that III biggest problem is only echo but this is worse. Let’s hope that next release will fix this.

When uninstalling android apps doesn’t work as it should.
It says the app was removed successfully but i still see the icons and they still shown in System>apps but the app itself doesn’t work since it’s uninstalled

Did you by any chance try to uninstall several Android apps quickly?

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile: It would be great to add the same funcionality to calendar - for location of the event. I promise that will fix %xx url escaping in next release of OSM Scout.

4 Likes

My phone did not reboot when finished with the update (at least the bar was full), after 25 minutes had passed since the beginning of the upgrade process and the bar had been full for several minutes I forced a shutdown by holding all buttons.

After rebooting I seem to have 4.5.0.16 though I can’t rule out that some packages have not been fully updated.

Other than that as reported by others I had to move all android Icons back to their correct places/folders in my main menu.

Haven’t checked anything else beyond that and gPodder yet.

2 Likes

Woohooo!
The fingerprint sensor service seems fixed, nice (XPeria 10 II)

The update was a bit “bumpy” in that the phone didnt reboot after the initial install
(with the full status bar & SFOS logo).

Also, is it me or is there no new blog post on the page?? The top-most refers to May 22?

That happens after release. This is now only EA.

3 Likes

Hi cvwild. I have the same problem. All my android apps are gone. Also the android app support is ony in status ‘starting’. I already waited for 9 hours but nothing changed in the meantime. Do you have some new information how this issue can be solved.

• No issues with mobile data (Finland with Telia and Elisa)
  • WiFi hotspot works fine (so does USB tethering after installing the necessary packages)
  • Camera2 API is still unimplemented => only 1 camera :frowning:
  • Echo issue is still there (Sony hasn’t solved it either AFAICT) (but using low volume and wired/Bluetooth headset circumvents the issue)
  • Bluetooth car audio issues == can’t pair with some audio systems, I assume? The bug is still there, so you have to pair the devices over the command line, but afterwards, no issues for me.

IIRC I had this once, and reboot fixed the issue, I think…

There are many logs of this issue, and they all seem to point at re-enabling repositories. As this seem to be not-so-rare occurrence, and it happens with the as-official-as-it-can-get Chum repo, too, it should really be fixed… (Yes, happened to me too.)

The Android data seems to be improved w.r.t. WiFi↔mobile switching, but there’s something mysterious still… For example, Fennec (“Firefox”) can’t access some domains, whereas Browser and Vivaldi (Android) can at the same time, switching back and forth. Could it be Fennec just respects some Android connectivity state and doesn’t even try? It doesn’t depend on IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6 being used. Anyone else with this issue?

3 Likes

On XPeria 10 II I had the same; a simple restart of the android layer worked it out.
Funny to notice that the icon format of the Android app’s has been SFOS’ed (Whatsapp, mapps, amazon appstore, firefox, fdroid).

I restarted my Xperia X 10 II several times. And I ensured that the Android App Support was already started during boot procedure, but nothing changed. My Setting->Android App Support status remains on ‘starting’. After the update the Android version is 11 and the Api level is 30.