Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

Why should it do so?

Jolla just have to move on to new Xperia phone. Dwelling on unsolved buf for years wont work. The hw unpgrades so much each year and it takes 3-4 years for a os port, then probably need to just move on. I am glad that Jolla finally profits and reconstructed internally, but the pace on supporting new devices are just too slow, it will still make people move away from the Sailfish. Or they can talk to Sony to for a better supported device. I am usimg Xperia 10iii, I am still feel much outdated, even though Librem 5 and pinephone linux phonea are worse. Sailfish is the only linux os that is daily usable, device support is the only drawback.

5 Likes

Just curious: Are there any numbers on the development of the user base?

2 Likes

I bought an Android with 12 GB RAM and Iā€™m using it as my daily driver. Anything else I could live with, but hated out of ram occurring when needing navigation. Each and every time. I even stopped using android and going native.

If I forgot my phone in silent, the status LED is the only thing that tells me what happened recently. I care a lot about missed calls, and for that flashing the LED would tell me it needs immediate attention, contrary to e.g. SMS which need to be read but not necessarily immediately.

Also depending on light conditions, the blue it uses for SMS/missed calls might not be visible enough, flashing improves the visibility.

This is my usage pattern, yours might differ a lot, but I would appreciate to be able to change the blinking behaviour on an OS that has customization as a main selling point.

3 Likes

Oh.
I hadnā€™t thought about nearly invisible non flashing blue LEDs.
I actually never spent a single moment of my attention to that.

Thatā€™s right. 10 IIIā€™s LED is cr*p. It is impossible to get clear green or yellow color (unlike red and blue, which are OK). I spent a lot of time tweaking /etc/mce/20hybris-led.ini to get anything that would resemble green or yellow, all in vain. The closest one can get to green is to set very dark value of the green component of rgb, i.e. something like #002b00 rather than #00ff00. But yellow seems to be undoable. I use something like #6f0f03 but itā€™s actually more like orange.

Blinking / breathing is broken, too. Majority of patterns which are set to blink in mce, do not blink but show steady light. Only charging patterns seem to correctly support blinking / breathing.

4 Likes

Its similar to the XZ2 Compact Notify-LED. Its very dark and colors are rotated a bit.

The best Notify-LED-Experience with SailfishOS for me was on X Compact and XA2, others are not tested by me because i donĀ“t own it.

2 Likes

On the 10 III R and B diodes are dark while green is very bright. So it actually ā€œeclipsesā€ (or rather overshines) the other two, resulting in wrong colors. Colors produced by combinations of red and blue (which have approximately the same brightness) are correct, for example magenta #ff00ff looks kind of OK. But if the bright G component has to be used, it is way too bright and outshines the others, so you get wrong color. Hence you canā€™t even get a clear white from #ffffff because thereā€™s too much of green in it. You can try to set a darker value for G diode giving lower brightness similar to the strength of R and B diodes, but it gives acceptable results only for some colors.

Maybe it is an electrical problem - either the G diode is fed with too high current, or the R and B diodes get too low current.

Compared to this, my XA2 Ultra LED gives very nice, correct and clear colors.

1 Like

related bug report here [LENA][11][4.19] Green LED indicator is brighter than blue and red Ā· Issue #772 Ā· sonyxperiadev/bug_tracker Ā· GitHub I believe

4 Likes

Right! Still not fixed, unfortunatelyā€¦

As for Xperia 10 IV and V support, will XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72 be supported or only listed XQ-CC54 and XQ-DC54?

If so, they probably would have been listed to

1 Like

Too high current would explain the higher power consumption^^

By 0.01% probably :wink:

2 Likes

I just copy the answer from another topic here. Thanks to @rainemak for the answer.

3 Likes

I unwittingly obtained the 10 V Hong Kong version with 8BG RAM. Iā€™ve left it sealed and considered returning. But Iā€™m willing to test for the benefit of the greater community.

8 Likes

Thank you @Ras72! Testing these global variants are super difficult for us for example due to bands ā€“ we love the community. We do our best. We continue discussing here at the forum & irc meetings but global landscape is super difficult. With you, Sailfish Community, we have a chance to deliver Sailfish OS for folks around the globe ā€“ weā€™re not yet there whilst youā€™re fee order. Letā€™s work together and utilise forum & irc for discussions

9 Likes

Good to heard, Iā€™ve got XQ-DC72 waiting for flashing with boot-loader already unlocked.
I had to downgrade from android 14 to 13 but wasnā€™t able to do it with Emma, I had to use newflasher.
(TW_68.0.A.0.829)

5 Likes

Why donā€™t you just post in the proper topic?