Sailfish Community News, 23rd May 2024 - Jolla Day 2 recap

@rainemak OK, so have you already decided and could you please disclose the pricing of such perpetual licence for the 10 V?

As well as the yearly one:

Thank you very much for any information you may share.

I have to admit i was very excited for and during jolla love day 2. I felt even more excited than when Steve jobs held the first few ipod presentations.

1 Like

Who is Steve Jobs???

6 Likes

Oh, Google told me:

some marketing guy from an American Fruit company

I thought someone of relevance to my perspective on the tech world, but no …

5 Likes

You misspelled DuckDuckGo :wink:

7 Likes

@rainemak can you please confirm whether the 8gb variant of the 10 V will be supported or not? Just so we can make an informed decision

1 Like

Someone in the forum wrote that the supported network bands are the same as for the 6Gb version, so i assume and hope yes, because i bought one.

Same, I really doubt the driver for ram is limited at 6gb, but if it turns out it’s not working oh well (the 8gb variant also supports some japanese lte bands, so it’s not only 2gb extra, bit of a gamble)

According to information that we have received from Sony, 72 variants (XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72) of Xperia 10 IV and 10 V should work with the same images as the 54 variants. I think we would need to find a community tester for these 72 variants (once free version available).

14 Likes

This may sound like a daft question, but if Jolla is likely to officially support (or even wants to evaluate support feasibility) for the 72 variants, then shouldn’t you at least purchase said phone yourselves to act as a test bed and/or reference product? Relying on community testers to do thorough testing (regression testing included) for a potentially officially supported product sounds a bit risky to me.

1 Like

@rainemak Has the perpetual licence price and the yearly licence price for the new Xperia models been decided upon yet?

1 Like

It isn’t officially supported is it? What he is saying is that it might work, but you need to find out yourself. At least that is how I read it.

I suppose SFOS is able to automatically identify the proper version in order to detect both physical sims in the 72 variants rather than eism in 54?

2 Likes

Given what i have seen in the repos, i get the impression that this is static config.
If that’s the whole story - well spotted. Can’t be impossible to fix.

1 Like

i’ll be happy to test this with the DC72, i have one waiting for an image

4 Likes

We’ve listened the feedback from the community and are announcing the prices of one-time-fee (perpetual) and yearly subscriptions shortly. Please stay tuned!

16 Likes

the 8gb variant also supports some japanese lte bands, so it’s not only 2gb extra, bit of a gamble

Yes, there are two sim card’s slots (physical).

I suppose SFOS is able to automatically identify the proper version in order to detect both physical sims in the 72 variants rather than eism in 54?

Everybody could correct my knowledge because I’m not sure. The difference between the both models is only the implemnetation of the sim cards (physical/microSD + eSIM vs. physical/microSD + physical). The HW will be presented to os similar so the OS can see two sim cards in every model. Only the presention layer (/dev/…) will be interpreted by the os.

I had Volla22 with a community port and it was a big problem with two sim cards but it was a problem with the Gigaset modem and not because of wrong implementation within the port.

In this case I will 100% happy because of all my needs for a new smartphone. In the order form for the licence I would introduce a field with "additional support or buy a coffee). e.g. the lifetime licence costs 100 Euro and everybody can pay more when one wants it

3 Likes

Did I understand correctly that subscription model will be only for newer phones? I would very much like to have it optional in xperia 10 III and II too. I don’t like the idea of just buying single license that goes unused.

Yeah, they are ‘legacy’ devices so your license you bought for them remains as is

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.