There is NO way this update was tested. Nothing hardly works

@WT.Sane
Sailfish is not a daily driver for a normal user. We’re all freaks here ;-).
A normal user fails e.g. already when moving from the J1 to a Sailfish X phone because of the problem nemo / defaultuser when importing the backup. If you then have to take the terminal for correction, then that goes far beyond the capabilities of a normal user.

6 Likes

Yes, me too!

(post must be at least 20 characters)

1 Like

‘Group texts’ aka group MMS does not exist outside of the United States, and MMS in general is already very niche in most of Europe because our providers have historically always made it extremely expensive, and it remains that expensive to this day. I had to dig deep on my provider’s website to find out anything at all about MMS.

5 Likes

Like @attah, I also wonder what this is supposed to be. Do you have any examples of Android or iOS applications that do that? Or is what you’re looking for something as simple as this? BarWal | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System

1 Like

Apple Wallet or Google Pay for example.

Perhaps something like this…

Sort of a cross between the Barwal and Code Reader apps.

Okay, then that is definitely not something Jolla will ever be able to do, nor any other third party.

1 Like

That’s the problem… the only one interested in feelings is you. Go ahead and move those goalposts though.

You didn’t provide anything substantive. No truth or facts. Your “report” was vague nonsense with thinly veiled contempt.

As I demonstrated previously, nearly all of your “issues” were related to user error and/or unfamiliarity with the platform. Even things as trivial as collecting useful metrics, logs, traces or error output.

You’re trying to walk it back now because you’re intellectually dishonest.

As far as why I’m on this forum, try reviewing my post history. Instead of whining about my inability to use an experimental independent mobile operating system, I fix problems.

Just for good measure, I’ll go down your list of complaints and address them line by line:

sms will not open/ mms will not select a picture from gallery 97% of the time. Must reboot phone. I will send one the mms and message app locks up and will no longer open. Tied using system utilities to reset ui no luck…

I’ve never experienced that, and judging by reports on this forum, neither has anyone else. Except you. To normal people with their critical thinking faculties intact, that looks like exaggeration.

MMS will not download…did.before the last update. phone super slow to start camera / phone super slow to make a call.

Check your APNs. Both of my (official) SFOS phones work.

With my time out set to 5sec most time the screen goes black before call even starts to ring.

… what?

Call fails to connect on first try about 98% of the time requires a second or third attempt.

I use a SFOS phone as my work phone, and I’ve never had a call failure. Maybe you’re attributing issues with your carrier to an OS that has nothing to do with it?

When calling the phone with sail fish os (sony x2a dual sim) I can watch the phone goto 3g mode. The phone will not ring the call through

“x2a”? For the record, the shift to 3G is BY DESIGN, since that’s a CARRIER REQUIREMENT. LTE doesn’t support voice calls, by design, so your phone must switch to 3G (or 2G) to connect a call. Please research “Circuit Switched Fallback”.

When the call disconnects the phone goes back to 4g mode So i miss alot of call. Maybe 40% of call make it through.

See above. Can you record video with another device to demonstrate these failures? It sounds a lot like exaggeration, so I’ll need more material to work with.

I can repeat this test and get this result 98% of the time. My test has be using a different phone with the sailfish phine right next to it on the same network carrier. So its not the carrier and the phone is NOT damaged outside of having this buggy OS on it.

[citation needed]

We’re not going to just “take your word for it”. If this were a widespread issue, it would be well documented, and there would be many more cases posted on this forum (or its progenitors).

This was not an issue before the update. I am on the same T-Mobile backed carrier that I have been on for 4 years.

I’m on a T-Mobile MVNO and I don’t have any issues. Weird.

You have to try harder.

2 Likes

And that’s part of the ‘normal user’ expectation mismatch problem - functions and apps that ‘normal’ modern mobile phone users expect pretty much as standard these days are never likely to make their way onto native Sailfish. And I’m not just talking about my pet wishes, but a whole list of ever growing functions and everyday apps that makes the gap between what native Sailfish can provide and what the ‘dominant’ mobile OSs can provide increase every year.

Android app support is clearly Jolla’s only viable solution to this, but as another forum member pointed out, if you use all Android apps under Sailfish and only really use Sailfish as a fancy GUI launcher, what’s the point?

Sailfish only really works if you are a technical user who understands, and is prepared to accept (and sometimes work around) these limitations. Most everyday ‘normal’ users are not.

4 Likes

Wait a tick… you can do this? Can you share how you make this happen?

And yes…I read many years back about how this was not a thing for people in the East. But to read that it can do confirms what I thought.

But yeah…clue us kids in. Thanks.

…on the bigger picture comment … I have been here from the start… that bigger picture is starting to like busted rusted worn.out. Its losing it colour and shine. I picked Jolla and sailfishfor the promise of something different… And I guess they have delivered that different in an.OS running in 2021 like an OS from 1991…

I instantly handicapped this beautiful Rose Gold Sony that could do everything I wanted for the promise of something else that would eventually do everything I hoped.

I have my super cool Jolla phone that promised me it would do something wonderful with its other half… it did nothing but let me down. But with the band being turned of. Its radio reception was too poor to use any more.

So I have seen that big picture and it seem static.

2 Likes

My double negations are harmonious. Mellifluous, even!

1 Like

I see what you did there and I like It!!!

It’s good to see that my rant as Its been called has sparked a decent discussion and in my mind confirmed why some of us are here.

We could be sheep and Android or god forbid be Apple sheep. But we are hear by choice, willing to ride along… I hope the devs understand and will listen.

I want to see sailfish work well and just have the basics that we all have come to expect.

The UI is beautiful. Clean.and Minimal. Give us some ad blocking and some other things people have asked for over the past 5 years and this thing would be really great.

1 Like

Hi first things first… there was no thin veil…my post is full of contempt for bad software being pushed out from eadquarters. Kneecapping my phone.

You missed the point, didn’t you?

Im not an OS programmer and the brochures did not tell me I had to be.

Did you never learn to “shop around” before making a commitment to a purchase? Reading is hard…

And awesome that you are on T-mobile and have no problems. You win the award for most besest your in the Sailfish community … you have be awarded the Golden TARtar sauce !

Did that make sense in your head?

Look friend I can only share what this little monster is doing. If its something I did wrong then I am willing to be accountable for that.

Except you’ve demonstrated that you’re incapable of accepting responsibility for your choices. It’s always someone else’s fault, remember?

If the devs have had a bad release I am pretty sure they are willing to take accountability for that.

Which is why it’s important to file actual bug reports. Otherwise, we just have to “take your word for it” and file it away as user error.

Its a two way street. If the OS is maturing to the point that is only for engineers and hackers then yeah I may be wayout of may league.

It has never been a “normal user” ready mobile OS. That’s why it’s an alternative with minimal market share and forums devoted to bugfixes and user reports. You’re making my point for me but you don’t even realize it.

I need Jolla to let me know that… not you and your opinion about someone you know nothing about.

I know enough given your behavior and attitude. You know very little about the platform, and would rather spew vitriol than provide constructive criticism or useful bug reports that are REQUIRED to address problems and provide fixes. If something somewhere is wrong somehow… someone needs more information.

Im not asking anyone in the community to take my word…im just reporting my user experience with the phone …Devs can do what they want with the report. I have no say in the matter.

You’ve missed the point. Again.

Oh and about 25 messages or so up…a user listed all the same issues I listed and know more of the technical lingo so there is that…

No, “WedgeStratos” explicitly stated that they are experiencing some of the issues that you “reported”, half of which aren’t actually issues. They’re expected behavior. Their list:

MMS failing if connected to WiFi

Expected behavior, you can get around it if it bothers you.

Downloads locking up

Very likely not a real issue, and usually a result of incorrect APN settings.

Up to 4.3, I would regularly miss calls

Never had that happen, and the majority of users don’t either. Isolated problems likely related to carrier/locale problems != overwhelming bugs.

However, I find myself having to call my voicemail in order to receive texts, especially with 2FA.

Probably has the SMS message center address set incorrectly. Again, APN/cellular settings.

I’ve regularly had my phone drop from 4G to 2G for no good reason

By design. It’s a fundamental issue with 4G/LTE itself, not Sailfish OS.

GPS only ever worked with 3.2 on my XA2, and has been broken ever since.

This is covered in the official Jolla documentation and elsewhere on these forums. My GPS works correctly on all of my devices.

The newer Android versions have made apps a little snappier, but I see apps turn off regularly now since the newer AD seems to take more memory to run.

Okay, since when is Jolla responsible for the behavior of third party apps… especially Android apps?

And naturally, awaiting VoLTE support, and group SMS support.

This isn’t a bug. It’s a feature request. Jolla didn’t sell it with the promise of VoLTE support (thought it is on the roadmap) or group SMSes, which aren’t very common with their target market.

So… a few feature requests and complaints of issues that aren’t prevalent with the bulk of users… did I miss anything?

4 Likes

Nowadays a perfectly working OS:
has the possibility of making video calls,
has a reliable working GPS, maps and satnav,
makes sharing from native to android apps easy,
has a fast and properly working browser,
has radio apps that produce sounds without stuttering, etc.
Sailfish is an elegant OS with a beautiful design and a nice, easy user interface, but it is not yet ‘perfectly suitable’.

6 Likes

I am not sure what your point is but you can’t project your lack of negative experiences on to other users because no matter how you dress it as expected behaviour or whatever nonsense you are on about… but it does not change the fact some people are having issues and all that was done here was a report on said issues.

your run down of issues you claim are expected is nonsense… no none is going to except as expected basics operations not to work ifhey are experiencing them. You actually wrote that mms not downloading as an acceptable outcome. Thats delusional.

Look.you have taken a bug report personal and you need to get over it.

If you can’t handle the fact that some people have some issues im not sure what I can say…

This back and forth with you is nuts.Lets do the community a favor and stop it. Take care .

I am not sure what your point is but you can’t project your experience on other users because you don’t have them.

The irony is lost on you, isn’t it?

your run down of issues you claim are expected is nonsense… no none is going to except as expected basics operations not to work if they are experiencing them.

… What? You should probably read my post again. It might help.

Look.you have taken a bug report personal and you need to het over it.

What bug report? You didn’t file a bug report. You made a passive aggressive post and are now trying to walk it back now that you’ve been called on it.

If you can’t handle the fact that some people have some issues im not sure what I can say…

The issues are yours, which is the point. Why are you having a hard time with this?

This back and forth with you is nuts. Take care .

What’s nuts is that you still can’t reconcile the fact that you didn’t file a bug report, and instead opted for sardonic quips and belting out uninformed nonsense.

Try harder next time.

1 Like

Spot on …I personally would be happy if the Sailfish Os could do what Meego could do at the very least.

I gave up on listening to music using sailfish a long time ago. The stuttering was painful…even.on the jolla phone it was bad.

I have the pure view 808 and It has Symbian and that too was full featured and had neat things.

we can only hope that the Sailfish team will get its act together and fix the bugs and maybe take notice of the good feedback in this tread and others.

3 Likes

I am using both, 3.4 on the XZ3 and 4.3 on the Xperia 10 ii. SFOS 3.4 is still fine but 4.3 has many tiny improvements that I appreciate.
3.4 has no less issues than 4.3 so 4.3 is definitely no regression.

4 Likes

What about this: camera isn’t working either, not the Jolla app nor the advanced app. I brought my XA2 to the latest update and this is the result: the wheel keeps turning. . A working camera is one the main features of a smartphone nowadays.

1 Like