SMS received multiple times

REPRODUCIBILITY: 50% (sometimes)
OSVERSION: 4.4.0.72
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.0.176 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (UK) (user: en_GB, os: en_GB.utf8)
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

I am often receiving several copies of the same SMS.
I’m usually getting 3 copies, sometimes 2, within one minute.
It doesn’t to correlate with the sender or its network, nor with the signal level in my area.
VoLTE not enabled on the phone.
The SIM/network is 5G-capable.

I had it happening in the past on Xperia X, pre 4.4, less often. The frequency increased since v4.4 and it keeps happening after moving to 10III.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

No particular way to trigger it, happens on rather random SMS.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

SMS is received once.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: no
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: no:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.8+git1
4 Likes

What network are you using?

Free Mobile (Iliad group, France ).
I created a bug report after seing that @wetab73 has the same problem -I think he is in a different country /network.

1 Like

I was just about to write a similar report. I’ve been experiencing this also with a Xperia 10 III and SFOS 4.4.0.72 on the Elisa network here in Finland. It also happened with the previous version of SFOS, messages (all with the same send date) turn up twice or three times over a time.

I suspect the phone somehow fails to correctly tell the text message service at the phone company that the message was received, and because of that it keeps resending it?

I usually get two, sometimes three, within a few seconds. Happens every few days (but I don’t get much SMS, so for others it might as well be every few hours). I’ve noticed it for the first time on 4.4.0.68 and .72 continues to do it.

Indeed. T-Mobile Poland.

I also suspect a lacked -or delayed- ack.
But I don’t know the details of the SMS handling, it’s pure speculation.

Also had the problem with xa2. Have set in settings → mobile network → data access point → protocol to IP. After that no more duplicates came.

Thanks for the report @rtr2001. I’ve logged this internally and tagged it as “tracked”. If there’s info about any changes to this in future I’ll do my best to report it back here.

Hi,

I too have experienced the same problem. Phone is Xperia X II Dual SIM, operator Telia and country Finland.

I can’t recall, when this started. By checking message history the earliest incident I could find is at least from December 2021, so the problem has been around for quite some time (since 4.3.0 Suomenlinna or maybe even 4.2.0 Verla prehaps?). Either the duplicates get removed after a boot, or I might have also removed the duplicates myself (sorry, can’t remember!). Usually it is two or three copies of the same text messages that are received couple of second apart. Luckily it doesn’t happen too often.

Yet another double SMS today, but this time the second one came only after five minutes. What’s interesting is that the second SMS has receipt time “5 minutes ago” (just like the original one) even though it arrived 5 minutes later, a second ago.

I recently (edit: 2022-12-30 ) moved from my Xperia X with the latest Sailfish X to my new Xperia 10 III also with the latest version of Sailfish X, and I also have this issue.
Sometimes I receive up to 12 copies of messages over a 24 hour period, which is pretty annoying.
Duplicates are not removed upon reboot. I’ve just now rebooted and almost immediately received another copy of the most recent SMS.
I am on T-mobile in The Netherlands.

I just hit a new record of 32 copies in 48 hours of the same message. They all have the same timestamp.
Please send help. :sob:
( not via SMS though )

1 Like

Any updates here? I’m frequently getting each sms received 2-4 times on my Xperia 10 III … kind of annoying.

1 Like