SFOS support for new xperia devices

The shop you have linked is not an official jolla affiliate but a third-party seller who flashes Sony devices with free SFOF version and sells it to customers as used. Then you can buy a license for the full version from Jolla and avtivate it on the device to install support for Android support.
This does not mean that he is not trustworthy, I’ve never read any complaints about his service.
In case you don’t feel comfortable with flashing a device yourself it really is a useful service.
Otherwise you can aquire a supported Sony device at any shop, unlock the bootloader and flash SFOS yourself.

2 Likes

Dear Doulos
everything you need to know is stated very clearly and easily understandable on Jolla’s site (Sailfish X)
afaik your posted site is not related to Jolla at all, it is up to you where you buy your supported device (soon also X10-II), what device you buy (used or new) and how you pay it.
best regards

I confess I don’t even know yet what an affiliate is, i haven’t found information on that yet … and as for how to go about all of this I am lost too …

I was hoping to find some info on how to do this from people here and also some suggestions on where to buy this or that device as well as advice on which device i actually should get : )

an affiliate entity is a company that is controlled by another company (its parent company). Jolla-devices is an independent trader, so he is not an affiliate of Jolla.
But I really don’t want to discourage you to buy there.

Due to having been sick and busy with some other things so far I haven’t been able to properly catch up yet with your answers. Thanks very much so far. What device would you suggest to get and from where? Among other places I am also looking for a shop that ships to Austria for instance. One place I found was this → https://www.alternate.at/Sony/Xperia-10-II-128GB-Handy/html/product/1645065?partner=AtGeizhalsat&campaign=Mobiltelefon/Sony/1645065 ← What do you think? Jolla’s website didn’t list the dual sim version so maybe it’s wrong? … I am sorry … but I thought I better ask you here so that I don’t make any mistakes, especially if they involve so much money.

Basically I am trying to get a great phone for the least amount of money … Is the XA2 Ultra? (dual sim) any better / better working? … There’s also an XA2 Plus, etc … so I am a little confused as to what’s actually supposed to work and what not, etc … Can you please help me out further?

At the moment the XA2 variants are the cheapest option with modern Android support (choose the form factor that suits you best). The 10 II is slightly more future-proof, since it has 64-bit support. There are no further supported models coming on short notice, so it’s a good moment to buy one. Sailfish support for the Xperia X is being phased out, so I would suggest to avoid it.

The dual-SIM version of the 10 II is supported: look for the codes XQAU51 or XQAU52 to be sure, but it’s going to be difficult to find an unsupported version.

You can save something compared to that offer: check https://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/200094929_-xperia-10-ii-sony.html .

1 Like

Jolla supports the Sony Xperia II variants XQAU51 (single SIM) and XQAU52 (dual SIM), as @fph already denoted.

Currently you can buy a new one in Germany for € 199,- offline and € 289,- online: [Offline] Sony Xperia 10 II 128 GB [Mobilcom] - mydealz.de

But IMO you should try to be quick: I would expect only a few devices being left.

First of all thanks again for your fast replies …

I assume some reviews I’ve heard, talking about a slow processor for instance, can be ignored? They’re speaking from an Android perspective. A German article I’ve read earlier today mentioned that even some app called “Whatsapp” (which I personally don’t use) cannot be scrolled through smoothly - if I’ve understood correctly. Is that a problem then regarding surfing the web / browsing some websites too or using a map like “Here”? What phone do you use and why did you choose this one over another?

My Xperia 10 is running very fine with the latest SFOS version (and also before).

@doulos, if you want an new device (i.e., not used or refurbished), you should buy an Xperia 10 II now!
Else you will not get any.

And for your nitpicking questions, which all dive into almost irrelevant details:
Yes, all Xperia XA2 models and the regular Xperia 10 are a lot slower than the huge Xperia 10 Plus and the Xperia 10 II in benchmarks, but for regular use that almost does not matter.
A little bit more important might be that the battery of the regular Xperia 10 is quite small, although most people have no issue with that (i.e., still lasts at least a day of use when new).

TL;DR: Stop pondering, buy a modern Xperia, which Jolla supports now, or you might not be able to buy any new one for a while.

4 Likes

In comparison to your dated Jollaphone 1: Everything will feel like light speed anyway. :wink:

5 Likes

I have the dual SIM XperiaX.
I am surprised I have not read that anywhere from Jolla.
Do you have a reference?

1 Like

That probably was wrong wording from my side, sorry. Not “phased out” in the sense that you don’t get updates, but they said they would not update the Android support to the new Aliendalvik layer:

Jolla shop
Support for new device options is a constant request from Sailfish X program users. Adding new devices to the Sailfish X portfolio comes with a cumulative maintenance cost. This has resulted in a decision that we won’t be upgrading the Android app support to Android 8.1 on the Xperia X, or other older generation devices like the Jolla C.

We simply don’t have the necessary resources to do it justice given the older hardware and several additional HW adaptation versions needed to support them now and in future.

That looks like the first signal towards the X not being a “first-class citizen” anymore. If you don’t need Android apps it’s perfectly usable for now, but it is probably the first one to get axed in the future — also because it comes with the lowest supported kernel version:

[release notes] Koli 4.0.1 :
The lowest supported kernel version of Sailfish 4 in the remaining Sailfish OS devices is 3.10. It is in Jolla C, Jolla Tablet and Xperia X

Android is not the issue - I am down to a couple of Android apps now that are necessary and thus far, they still work. We’ve had to deal with the old Android version since the start and Jolla gave up on a higher version for the X a long time ago.

I try to deal with reality rather than reading tea leaves.

I expect SFOS availability and updates to continue for the X at least until the battery on this thing dies. After that, I’ll consider my options.

As I wrote earlier, the 10 ii is a viable upgrade, but not enough for me to ditch this phone yet.

1 Like

They’ll continue for as long as the Jolla C and Tablet remain supported. All three will be phased out at the same time because it wouldn’t make any sense if they did otherwise. However, seeing as Jolla is planning to make the proprietary components like Android support separately available for use in community ports, it’s certainly possible that community members would pick up work on any of the devices Jolla stops supporting, theoretically letting you use your devices forever. So, from an officially supported Xperia X with a low AOSP baseport and a low Android support, you’d go to a community supported Xperia X with a high AOSP baseport and a high officially supported Android support.

6 Likes

Since the answer is more implied than spelled out here, i’ll just summarize fore new readers:
Possibly, maybe almost probably for the 10 III - but not anytime soon.
First the device has to be added to the Sony Open Device Program, which it isn’t yet.
After that it will take something like 6 months to get SFOS running on it, reasonably polished and sync up with a release cycle (if history is anything to go by).
Jolla may or may not have plans (probably more like ambitions at this point), but will not announce anything before they know it will pan out (again, if history is anything to go by).

2 Likes

To add to attah`s answer: Here are some dates and numbers.

Name SFOS ready First released (from wiikipedia)
Jolla 1 November, 2013 -
Jolla C May 2016 -
Xperia X October 2017 June 2016
Xperia XA2 October 2018 February 2018
Xperia 10 November 2019 February 2019
Xperia 10 II May 2021 May 2020
5 Likes

Well, the Xperia 10 III has been added 3 days ago!
https://developer.sony.com/posts/xperia-10-iii-added-to-sonys-open-devices-program/

6 Likes

Some comparisons for folks on an XperiaX. A 10 III, when/if it arrives it’s probably a decent upgrade.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7948&idPhone2=10095&idPhone3=10698

It’s about 50% better CPU and improved a much better GPU.

1 Like

Make it 150% better CPU.

1 Like