Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia 1 and 5

Sailfish OS 4.4.0.72 for Sony Xperia 1 and 5

These release notes cover Sailfish OS 4.4.0.72 for the following devices:

• Sony Xperia 1 (J8110, J9110)
  • Sony Xperia 5 (J8210, J9210)

Intro

This port has been updated last to the latest release of Sailfish OS 4.4.0.72 in addition to that several adaptation bugs discovered in the testing of the first release have been fixed.

Also several documentation updates or buildinfrastructure changes have been made.

Updates to these project components are now tracking in the main bug tracking repository SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs/releases.

The highlights in this release are:

Thanks to all who have provided testing, reported bugs or have contributed otherwise.

Functionality

The devices have the same functionality level as the Xperia 10 II port made by Jolla,
except in areas such as VoLTE where public packages are missing or in relation to Sailfish X features which are (currently) unavailable.

Known issues

• SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs#33

• Because of a missing package inside the adaptation-common repository Windows binaries for flashing are missing inside
      the zip archive. To workaround that issue have added another zip file that includes these files as “droid-flashingtools.zip” to this release.
  • SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs#37

• The launcher icons on the Xperia 1 are to small because there’s no bigger graphics-theme size than 2.0.

Project

The Github project that contains this port and all other ports from this project can be found here:

Project Updates

As explained above there’s now a separate changelog for project wide updates which can be found down below:

The changelog file about the project updates can be found down below:

About

The goal of this project is to port additional Sony devices on top of Jolla’s existing adaptations while staying as close as possible to the existing ports and contributing back to the upstream where possible.

Most of the changes from Jolla ports are adopted in both directions since the issues that one port has usually apply to the sister device of the same generation (e.g. Xperia 10 II → Xperia 1/5).
This is the reason why changes from Jolla’s port end up in the changelog for these port,
in many cases because they also affect the specific port but not always.

Where possible changes that were done for this port go back to the Mer-Hybris repositories such as the kernel or droid repositories.

The project is open for anyone that wishes to port additional Sony devices to Sailfish OS. Feel free to suggest new features, provide bug reports or to contribute.

Report bugs

Bugs can be opened in the bug repository linked below:

Download

Flashing

To install Sailfish OS on your device please follow the install instructs in the flashing-readme.txt file included in the archive or read the offical flashing instructions for either the Xperia 10 II or Xperia 10 III:

Just make sure to download the software binaries for your device instead of the ones mentioned in the instructions:

Changelog

38 Likes

If can install android extend lib?

I updated the release archives today:

• Package ngfd as `CUSTOM_’ FFMemless vibration effects require newer version than packaged in SailfishOS 4.4.0.
  • Fix issue in ssu-vendor-data package that made the address of the adaptation repository invalid. [BUG] address of adaptation repo is invalid #49
5 Likes

After installing firmware on Xperia 5 J9210, Wi-Fi and SIM are missing.

Which stock version did you had installed before?

1 Like

Android 11 lowered it to 10 (55.1.A.3.49), everything worked.

Ah that’s good to hear. I have 55.0.A.11.25 flashed everything works.

Next time please open an issue on Github.

1 Like

I’m really sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m new to installing Sailfish OS although I’ve been interested in it for a long time. If I install this port on my Xperia 1, will I be able to install Android app support and Android apps or no? Thanks!

Sorry but so far there’s no Android App support for Community ports.

Porting AAS to this device shouldn’t be as hard thou since it shares much with Jolla ports.

The Sailfish OS port for the Sony Xperia 1 and 5 has been updated last to the latest release of Sailfish OS 4.4.0.72 in addition to that several adaptation bugs discovered in the testing of the first release have been fixed.

Also several documentation updates or buildinfrastructure changes have been made.

Updates to these project components are now tracking in the main bug tracking repository SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs/releases.

The highlights in this release are:

You can find the full changelog of this release in the release notes or at the end of this post:

Thanks to all who have provided testing, reported bugs or have contributed otherwise.

12 Likes

The issue is that Android App support isn’t sold for ports, any other issues from the side of my port either don’t exist or have been fixed.

Please keep the questions up regarding Android App Support for ports, I think we all want it but if more keep asking the pressure to work in it will be higher.

8 Likes

Updated to 4.5.0.18 at your own risk.
Used this instruction: GitHub - sailfishos-sony-tama/main: Documentation, releases, and issues
Everything is working.

3 Likes

I have the Xperia 10 II and wanted to ask how the photos compare… I would like to switch

2 Likes

Thanks for this port…very cool…

How are performance? Xperia 1 has a powerful CPU

in contrast to my Xperia 10 II it is much faster and smoother …

1 Like

Snapdragon 855 vs 6xx clear winner here

Should AndroidAppSupport be a something one could buy on its own for ports; I’d defenitely switch
EDIT: I forgot about VoLTE too…

1 Like

I use Waydroid and I find it better in itself… only the battery consumption bothers me a little but you get through the day

Really?! Do tell. For me, I primarily look at Contact and File System sharing, but its been a while since I seriously used Waydroid.