Sailfish OS email client is super

I’m also happy with the mail app as it is. The spam + sorting + archieving management I do on laptop and not on phone. When on my way I have no time and mood to care for spam. (edit: shifting a single or few spams to spam folder is easy enough for me) When at home, I have also a laptop and spam filter.

My idea was more meant to make SFOS more attractive and usable for a wide variety of users needs and wishes, and so more addressed to @Jolla .

2 Likes

Hmm, sounds strange. Did you get the server addresses right? Or the ports?

Are you even able to connect to theses servers from your phone (e.g. with another mail app)?

1 Like

Honestly, I am still missing a BCC config option:

No, i don’t see settings like that.

i add account, using email and “App password” generated in Yahoo for 3rd party apps.

it comes back with some settings, but if I click accept it always says no account created.

from your screenshot:
serveraddress - what the email app presents back to me is “https://caldav.calendar.yahoo.com
port - i do not see this field
serveraddress - i do not see this field
port - i do not see this field

Ah, I think I might know what your problem is. When you go to Account settings in the Sailfish settings app and add an account, you shouldn’t click on the “Yahoo!”-option as it, as you said, only adds calendar and contacts. Instead, you should select “E-Mail” (I don’t know how this option is exactly called in English since I have another UI language). It is the last item in the list (at least for me) and it has the standard E-Mail Icon.

3 Likes

smashing, that did the job. thank you.

1 Like

We do hide some options on purpose as those will take away screen estate from other actions and main focus what you’re doing. Thinking is that you don’t always bcc your emails. It’s available there behind … button.

Giving an example from xperia 10 III, if we’d have cc and bcc opened automatically email body text field would barely fit to the screen when virtual keyboard is open as well. If cc and bcc would be open, that would hindering quite a bit basic use case.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

4 Likes

Actually I mean something different → a pre-configured address thats configured in the account settings. So, when writing a new email the bcc field is already prefilled. It can stay hidden like it is now.

I’m still hoping that the email app will evtl. allow for multiple identities (multiple From addresses) for the same account. I rely heavily on that.

7 Likes

This worked for me, but I am unable to send email only receive. Do sent emails work for you as well?

I had some problems lately with mail sending too.

I deleted the accounts, deleted the mail directories contents, sat mail accounts again.
Works correctly now.

1 Like

Do you mean like this, or something else?

Do you have also the behaviour that sometimes the read e-mails are not marked as read? Usually it happens when I read fast an e-mail and return to e-mail list.

I had this sometimes. I think it comes from general slowliness of system especially when system load is high from some other app’s activity at a time. It went away from itself after closing other apps / waiting some time / other daytime when providers network load is lesser.

1 Like

Yes, this exactly! How? I cannot recreate this.

Unfortunately this only works if you have multiple accounts, not multiple identities per-account. Email | Sailfish OS Documentation

2 Likes

Firstly, ilpianista is correct:

Secondly, the way I get this is the following: If you install several email accounts, open up the email client and pull down to “New email” you get to choose from what address you want to send it from.

I do not understand how/why one would have several identities in one account, but that is me.

I had the case years ago that my mail account was compromised.
I had no choice but to delete it and get a new email address.

Since then I have a new mailaccount and never use the main address, only different aliases.
One only for private, friends and family.
One for shopping and sometimes one for short contacts, that I delete afterwards.

SFOS cannot handle this.

This is the reason why I use K-9 Mail for writing.

2 Likes

So the answer is still NO to multiple identities :frowning:

There are very valid reasons to have that, believe me.

2 Likes

I am sure you are right. That leaves me with the question ‘how’ it is done? Do you mean it is possible to create multiple identities with any email provider? Or with what provider and how is it done?