Pure Maps (Native map app)

Registration with Mapbox is easy, obtaining API key is easy, I am satisfied with the quality of tiles.

Well, I have a nostalgia for Here, and I have registered also their developer account. But cannot find the way how to obtain an API key. Super complex portal! … was anybody able to make Here working with Pure Maps? Any hint?

1 Like

Yes, only the pictures are not great because the car (Prius) is in a parking garage. And even with Advanced Camera I can’t make good pictures inside.We don’t drive that much. The thread is iron thread with foam.You can twist it easily. The ipadmini has a book cover that hangs on the thread. You can do the same with a phone, however for phones there are holders, e.g.the Kenu holder.
I don’t like Apple, skip all the unnecessary functions, but this ‘saved’ me when GPS on Sailfish did not work.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, it is clear now. And interesting use of an offline tablet:)

With Here, you must register a new app and it will allow you to get an API key. Works fine with Pure Maps.

2 Likes

Can’t remember how I did it exactly, but i choose the freemium account and then went with the java api key.
Also, if you look on the pure maps page on Openrepos, this comment from user LeChuck might be useful:

Create/select a project under “Login - HERE Developer
Then on Javascript on “Generate App” then on “Create API key.” Then copy the generated “API KEY.”

EDIT: the link now works

Yes, I was able to obtain Here API keys, but can’t remember how I got there, sorry. But if I was able to get it, you will be too :blush:.

1 Like

Pure Maps 3.2.0 is out!
Changelog at Release 3.2.0 · rinigus/pure-maps · GitHub .

Out of the changes, most visible is support for more languages by vector map tiles. Try to change language under preferences/general to see. It also adds location bias to OSM Scout Server based search (offline). Thus, local shops (from map center) should be ranked higher than the shops further away.

SFOS builds are available via Chum; Jolla Store build uploaded and will have to go through verification by the store personnel.

19 Likes

For driving, until now I used OsmAnd and Magic Earth. Two Android applications. Unfortunately, since version 4.5, there is a big problem with access to maps on the µSD card.

Of course, on my x10ii, I had PureMaps installed with OsmScout server since a long time but I found this application unstable until Sailfish OS version 4.4. The recurrent crashes made PureMaps unusable on the go.

But as OsmAnd and Magic Earth became almost unusable in 4.5 I tried PureMaps again.

So, i was forced to use Pure Maps. And I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised !!! The application doesn’t crash anymore, it’s very readable on the road, even if I would prefer a little bit more zoom, I really like the system for “bookmarks”, searching for a location works well and is quite fast. The directions, when driving, are good.

In short I am almost “converting” to Pure Maps to replace OsmAnd and Magic Earth. That being said, I would still like to have a solution for these two applications because I don’t like to have things that don’t work properly on Sailfish OS. So i would like to say a big thank you at Rinigus and all others developpers for Pure Maps and OSMscout server.

Just a question: I don’t quite understand the pace of map updates on OSMScoutserver. Is it once a year? Twice a year? More?

Sorry for my english and DeepL help me to write this post :wink:

4 Likes

It mostly as it happens to be. There is no cron job running it, I have to initialize it myself. Last year, over the summer, I worked on improving the import scripts and revised the backend solutions for it. Started a new import …

4 Likes

There are 2 aspects with the zoom during navigation:

• how much ahead do you want to see? This is set in Preferences/Zoom
  • how much do you want map elements to be scaled? In navigation mode, click on map type selector (top right) and move the slider on the bottom
1 Like

Where are the Bookmarks stored?
I want to add the file(s) to my Backup-Script.

As far as I can see… ~/.config/io.github.rinigus/PureMaps/pois.json

2 Likes

Thanks, there are also other configuation files there, very usefuusefull

1 Like

I am trying to install PureMaps and getting error, Following aare the steps i tried,

[defaultuser@Xperia10III ~]$ pkcon install harbour-pure-maps
Resolving
Querying
Testing changes
Finished
Fatal error: the to be installed harbour-pure-maps-3.2.1-1.9.2.jolla.aarch64 requires ‘mapboxgl-qml >= 2.0.0’, but this requirement cannot be provided
[defaultuser@Xperia10III ~]$ pkcon install mapboxgl-qml
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished
Fatal error: the to be installed mapboxgl-qml-2.1.1-1.5.2.jolla.aarch64 requires ‘libQMapLibreGL.so.2.0.0()(64bit)’, but this requirement cannot be provided
[defaultuser@Xperia10III ~]$ pkcon install libQMapLibreGL
Resolving [ ] (0%) Package not found: libQMapLibreGL
Package not found: libQMapLibreGL
Command failed: This tool could not find any available package.

is there still an advantage to using pure maps from chum, now that it is on the jolla store?

From the notes from harbour:

• harbour version has no ‘geo’ handler
  • harbour version has ‘bundled’ Mapbox GL
  • harbour version disables Silica booster
5 Likes

Thx. This is probably right. But I don’t have a clue what that means for me as a user :(.

I think it might not be as performant and the geo handle, I believe, is a link handling thing so that if you click on a link in a web page that’s geo coordinates you get redirected to puremaps. I believe. Not 100% certain.

2 Likes

I suggest to uninstall first all my packages that you have from OpenRepos. Those include qmapboxgl and similar. That’s the only reason I know of which could lead to these issues. After it is uninstalled, it should be simple to install Pure Maps from Chum.

Let me know if you are still in trouble after uninstalling my packages from OpenRepos.

Jolla Store version also cannot use TTS engines as those are launched as external programs.

1 Like