Pure Maps (Native map app)

I have uninstalled all the packages, but still i am getting same error (Missing mapboxgl).
Following are the packages, i have in my devices

[defaultuser@Xperia10III ~]$ pkcon search mapb
Searching by details
Starting
Querying
Finished
Available mapboxgl-qml-2.1.1-1.5.2.jolla.aarch64 (sailfishos-chum) Mapbox GL Native QML plugin
Available mapboxgl-qml-debuginfo-2.1.1-1.5.2.jolla.aarch64 (sailfishos-chum) Debug information for package mapboxgl-qml
Available mapboxgl-qml-debugsource-2.1.1-1.5.2.jolla.aarch64 (sailfishos-chum) Debug sources for package mapboxgl-qml
Installed qmapboxgl-1.6.0+git2-1.2.1.jolla.aarch64 (installed) Mapbox GL Native Qt version
Available qmaplibregl-2.0.1.0-1.4.2.jolla.aarch64 (sailfishos-chum) Maplibre GL Native Qt version

Not sure, what i am doing wrongā€¦ Sorry, if i am being dumb here

that you have to uninstall. its old version from openrepos, I think

Greatā€¦ Thank you @rinigus . I am able to install the Pure Mapsā€¦
Now I am not able to use it, i am getting following error, ā€œError occurred while loading current mapā€ and in navigation, i am not getting current location.

I have installed OSM Scout and i have downloaded USA map from MLS manager. And i have MapTiler API Key.

Could you please suggestā€¦ Thank you very much for your assistance.

Did you mean ā€œOSM Scout Serverā€? I suggest that you check that that one is installed. ā€œOSM Scoutā€ is a different application that wonā€™t help you with PureMaps.

3 Likes

Thank you @pakman, now its workingā€¦

@rinigus what are nowadays biggest API pain points with Jolla Store that youā€™re seeing?

4 Likes

Thank you for asking. Iā€™ll reply to that tomorrow evening.

4 Likes

Just a quick note in case anyone else runs into the same issue: I had a couple of custom maps [1] defined under ~/.local/share/harbour-pure-maps/maps/ that stopped working after upgrading from the openrepos version to the Chum version. Turns out it didnā€™t have anything to do with the version upgrade, but to the app name change instead. So simply copying the map definitions under ~/.local/share/io.github.rinigus/PureMaps/maps/ fixed the issue :man_facepalming:

Also, Iā€™m, going to use this opportunity to say a huge thanks for the awesome app!

[1] Finnish peruskartta via the Kapsi service like so in case anyone is interested:

~/.local/share/io.github.rinigus/PureMaps/maps/kapsi_peruskartta.json

{
    "attribution": "Peruskartta Ā© Maanmittauslaitos",
    "format": "raster",
    "name": "Kapsi MML peruskartta @2x",
    "profiles": ["mixed", "online"],
    "type": "default",
    "tile_url": "http://tiles.kartat.kapsi.fi/peruskartta/{z}/{x}/{y}.png"
}
3 Likes

So, here are some API ā€œpain pointsā€ with Jolla Store that popped up right now:

• No systemd services/activation. That basically disables OSM Scout Server support. Probably few others could use it - messaging apps, for example.

• We donā€™t have any TTS service. So, if I wish to start executable for making prompts, I cannot do that in Sailjail environment. But, in general, lack of TTS support on the platform.

• I am not sure if we could communicate with other apps via DBus. Canā€™t right now find it in the code, but it seems so based on the warning that I wrote earlier. Pure Maps does provide its DBus API for others and is using OSM Scout Server API for map matching.

There are probably more, but those I can see are disabled in Pure Maps code for Jolla Store or are warned about.

5 Likes

@rinigus / @pakman , do i still need MLS Manager? Or can i remove that?
Having that will help pure maps in any way ? Or its just redundant and i can remove?

You donā€™t need MLS but it helps to get GPS fix (position) faster. As far as Pure Maps is concerned it has nothing in running Pure maps alone.

3 Likes

I installed Puremaps using chum store and added here maps so POI works better and better maps. But did need TTS. While iā€™m grateful for mimic in the store mimic1 only supports English and sounds like crap. so i thought about trying mimic3 instead that sounds better and supports more languages but i wonder if puremaps would work with mimic3?

1 Like

If you make mimic3 happen on SFOS, I will make Pure Maps working with it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since weā€™re talking about TTSā€¦ Sorry for asking a possibly duplicate question - I have a vague memory of someone asking this question, but I couldnā€™t find it via search: would it be possible to exclude street names from the navigation directions, when using TTS?

Iā€™m using PicoTTS and when the engine is trying to pronounce non-english street names, it sounds really weird and makes it harder to understand the directions. Also, the street names donā€™t usually add any real value to the directions, even if they were correctly pronounced - at least in my opinion. :grin:

Anyways, Pure Maps is one my favourite SFOS apps and Iā€™ve been completely satisfied with the user experience so far. Great work!

1 Like

That comes up once in a while. With the exception of HERE router (where Pure Maps generates sentences itself), all other routers give instructions with text. Which means that these changes have to be done on the router level. I havenā€™t checked if Valhalla has some option to disable it.

1 Like

If i enable HERE maps, i am getting following view,

And when i enable Maptiler, i am gettimg following,

Why i am not gettimg maps when i am enabling HERE maps. Do i need to download or need to do any configuration?

i have added HERE map api.

Try to run Pure Maps in the terminal and see standard output. I suspect something is wrong with the key

Hi all,
I recently was in the colleague car.
He is using Waze and I was very impressed when the app suddenly changed the route by itself because of a traffic jam.
Thanks to this, we could avoid being stuck in the city.

But I guess this app is a data-pump and it works thank to data uploaded from clients being stuck or not, in the traffic.

I searched here and on telegram and found ways to see traffic on the maps.
But I couldnā€™t find if there was a way to take traffic in account for the route calculation.

Is there a provider (with api key) that offers this function?

This said, Iā€™m using Pure Maps almost every day and it is really a great app. Being able to use it offline, along with OSM Scout Server is also neat!

Thanks

Oh, another question:
Is there a way to contribute/bring improvements to the routing calculation?
When I select ā€œno tollsā€, the route still passes through a pay tunnel.
Is there a way for me to bring the correction?

HERE router should take into account traffic and Pure Maps asks for rerouting once in a while with this router. To use this router, you need to enable HERE API keys and switch over to HERE profile. Such separate profile is made to comply with HERE conditions.

As for routing feedback - check if it is marked as route with tolls at OSM.org. If it is, check out which router was used. Ideally, check it with online routers as they have the latest data. When you can reproduce with online router, file report with the corresponding route engine. If you get in trouble finding which one was used, please ask.

2 Likes