Option to display date on home screen

Hello sailors!

I’m interested to know if others are like me in wishing it was possible to add the date alongside the time at the top of the Sailfish OS home screen. The killer UX for me being that this would allow you to ‘peak’ to find out the date.

This has been discussed since way back but as far as I know never implemented:
https://together.jolla.com/question/12694/reopened-display-current-date-on-home-screen-status-area-peeking/

Do others find themselves hankering after this?

Matt

10 Likes

X10 II: after enabling LPM with mcetool, date is now visible enough for me.

1 Like

Yes, I would like to have the date (short format, just day and month: 21/5 or 21-05) alongside (or under, when using long screen) the time on the home screen. The date is almost there; it’s squeezed in between time and weather on the notification screen/area (one swipe left/right away), and that’s good, and though it’s in contrasting colour, the font and padding is rather small and I hardly see it.

The same goes for X10 lll.

I’d like time and date on the pulldown menu.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what date visibility change you are referring to here?

I enabled LPM with mcetool but haven’t noticed any change related to date display and wouldn’t really expect to.

To be clear this post relates to the fact that only the time is displayed at the top of home screen and it is this view that is available when you use side swipe/release to ‘peek’ at the home screen behind a running app.

I understand OP problem vector, but after enabling LPM, I feel like the date is now on display often enough that I don’t look for further awareness mechanisms anymore.

Weather symbol is an additional bonus point for LPM, too.

Can you please clarify what LPM is?

1 Like

Hi, furthermore I would be interested to add a name or e-mail-adress to the lock screen. Just in case I would lose my phone somewhere, there would be a chance one could contact me with this information.

2 Likes

Yes please, date to the home screen - I’m often going back and forth to notification screen just to check the date

6 Likes

Agree! Thanks for mention it.

2 Likes

Good idea. BlackBerry 10 OS had an optional, configurable two-line text shown on the lock screen. Good for contact or emergency info, whatever.

3 Likes

I posted a feature request for this a year ago here ICE (In Case Of Emergency) field on lock screen only to find that it had been requested on the old TJC forum in 2014, some 8 years ago. So don’t hold ypur breath for this!

3 Likes

That is bad. Did someone try to edit the background image with a text, e.g. with krita? I don’t know which folder/file is responsible for the screenlock picture .

There’s a ICE patch at OpenRepos that probably doesn’t work any more, I didn’t take a closer look but it could probably be fixed.

If you are right handed, why not enabling ‘Quick events access’ in Settings → Gestures? That would allow you to peek on the date from anywhere.
If you’re left handed like myself, I understand that’s not an option as the events screen just gets in the way when you want to go home…

1 Like

LPM means low power mode. To activate, you have to install mce tool as described here

LPM means that when you take your smartphone out of your pocket, the display shows the date, time and current weather for a few seconds.

1 Like

Yes, I do miss the date on the home screen.
I use to switch the phone off/on (and swipe back) to get the date.
To rather have it on the home screen, that we can just ‘peek’ into, would be a nice and much wanted improvement.
(So would also be an option for having the clock on the home screen also displaying seconds.)

3 Likes

It’s good to see the broad desire for this. Should be trivial to implement as a configurable? Come on Jolla :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’m also missing this feature.

1 Like