Apps you like us to develop in a student projects course?

I just skimmed through the FratzenJail code. It is a great deal more than a Jail. Can we maybe start a thread about it and this approach to ‘wrapping’ a site? It’s a lot more ambitious than an WebView…

1 Like

Sure, I was going silent here because I didn’t want my proposal to generate too much non-proposal noise :wink:

OTOH, the reason I have been silent about that app is that I do not want to be an enabler for people who want to use that website.

1 Like

What about a speedcam^H^H^H^H^H POI warning app? Technically that’s

• GNSS access
  • e.g. OSM Overpass API (c.f. overpy) to fetch POIs (e.g with <query type="relation"> <has-kv k="type" v="enforcement"/> </query> :grinning:)
  • sqlite R*Tree index (available in the Sailfish version of sqlite)
  • playing an alert
  • UI for configuration/import of POIs
2 Likes

Simple idea:

pretty statistical graphics for
call duration (incoming/outgoing)
for sim1 / sim2 / total
for today / yesterday / week / month…
overall and ?even for a single contact, maybe?

Required data should be in the logs.

Cheers

1 Like

That’s quite a cool idea. We had to do quite a similar project at my university as well and we would loved it to develop some real application and not something that is just trashed afterwards!
So thanks for delivering that projects to your students!

I have an idea as well:
There is a quite useful app for android called Splid. https://splid.app
Basically it’s for shared apartments, but also for a trip with friends or similar.
It’s collecting all financial costs from all people and calculating what person needs to pay to every other person for equality.
Nevertheless you can organize your financial transactions into categories and create different teams.
It has some advanced features, which are maybe a bit difficult on SFOS and would be over the time limit. But basically for a working application they are not needed and could omitted:

• exporting a project as a pdf or csv
  • adding new categories
  • allowing to select the currency
  • fetch the accurate data for calculating some costs from on currency into another

There’s ‘Expenditure’ which does pretty much that!

2 Likes

Yup, expenditure does it all. Using it.just right now on a trip

Glad my little app Expenditure is of use to you. It is still a work in progress, so please be aware there might be bugs. :wink:
I would also like to take the opportunity and suggest another app idea @orangecat. In case someone in your course is strong in graphics, how about a prototype of a facial recognition app? Core features would include a database which stores known persons pictures as datasets with assigned names, and a camera live-feed which draws a frame around recognized faces and adds names if found. Python-OpenCV and Python-face-recognition could be a starting point. Both would need to be packaged for SF, though.

2 Likes

You made my day! :relaxed: Very cool!

What about an app for openfoodfacts?
https://world.openfoodfacts.org / Open Food Facts - Wikipedia

There is an API(Data) and an open source android app(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openfoodfacts.scanner)

They would need to make use of the camera to read product codes and handle the API communication

2 Likes

Hello!

One app that’s quite missing as native Sailfish app would be a meditation app.
There exists some sort of meditation app(s) but I found them quite simple and without much functions.

I propose a meditation app with:

• different meditation timers
  • different sounds/gongs
  • meditative soundscapes (maybe with sleep timer)
  • possibly landscapes or other calming photos onscreen while playing
  • possibility to include own recordings
  • breathing exercises
  • maybe some quotes of wise words
  • reminding of meditation (adjustable ofcourse)

Another thing…
@orangecat I have an XA2 phone unused here (with SFOS 4.4.0.68) and I could donate that for free for a project. Also some other project than described in this thread. I tried to give the phone to Whisperfish project but they had enough of phones at their proposal already.
The phone’s front camera is not functioning (sw/hw I don’t know) and the SIM needs to be pulled out with tweezers. Otherwise in totally perfect working order. Screen is near scratch-free. No screen guard attached.

1 Like

Thanks @lumen. Meditation is surely something that can be part of a comprehensive health app. I’ll see how to add it to the student project.

Thanks for the phone offer. For the moment, I have 2 Xperia X I use for class, which seems enough for now. If my SFOS endeavor takes traction in my uni, and I can collaboration on something with the lecturer giving a graduate course on Qt C++, then things might change.

2 Likes

A SFOS version of https://otter-browser.org/ it is based on Opera so we would get a native Opera Version for our SFOS devices :slight_smile:

1 Like

A years ago, I prepared a student project involving FirefoxOS. It was about a Teletext browser. Unfortunatelly, FirefoxOS ended before the project was able to start. However, maybe you can use some translation tool to read about it in our paper in Slovene language.

These days, I would be happy to prepare student projects with SFOS, but I do not have the teaching position, anymore.

You can also have a look on our paper about a Meego project.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259100686_Demonstration_of_sorting_algorithms_on_mobile_platforms

2 Likes

Another Idea: Something like devicelock-faith-text, also discussed similar topic here option-to-display-date-on-home-screen.

1 Like

Thank you for asking @orangecat,

Simple and useful to all:

A multiple clipboard app.
(history of the n last copied things)

or

a reminder app, displaying notes on the homescreen image.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your propositions and advice.

For my course, I’ll be proposing the above health app with its various different functionalities (including the meditation option).
I’ll try to report here how things advance. Just bear in mind, it’s an undergraduate course where the main goal is software design and specifications, not specifically writing code.

In January, I can propose end-of-year student projects, and I’ll be looking to your other propositions to propose one or two for our graduate students.

3 Likes

I’ve presented the project this week to students and they seems quite open to it. I’ll be having two groups working on the health app, and I’ll be having a lab session, hopefully in a week or two, so they can play and learn the SDK before starting the specification and dev on the project. I’ll keep you updated!

3 Likes

@orangecat since you are thinking a health app, would you consider to add for HRM devices support such as garmin/ suundo/ polar ? I was thinking to buy one and use it with Kuri app (Does anyone know ifGarmin HRM-Pro which has bluetooth can work with Kuri app?). If you are interested I could buy one and help you with testing!

You might have to consider amazfish that provides such information.