Tips and Tricks

Take a photo by pressing either of the volume buttons (this certainly applies to my Xperia 10 ii).

2 Likes

A famous one: if you need to rotate the device but don’t want your app to go in landscape mode (or viceversa), keep a finger on the screen while rotating to temporarily deactivate the sensor.

6 Likes

Sorry, how do I do this? And may I know who the moderator is?

Hi @bane07

Anyone with the Leader badge on Sailfish OS Forum can do it.
And people with the Regular badge on Sailfish OS Forum can move threads.

Speaking of; I can move this to the category #getstarted, it is a better fit for this kind of thread.

Please go ahead. I am ok with either of the options - moving to #getstarted or changing to wiki.

1 Like

Changed to wiki, moved to #getstarted

6 Likes

I just found this page in the official documentation: Sailfish OS Tips & Tricks | Sailfish OS Documentation

4 Likes

On the bottom right of your first post, you can flag it to ask a mod to turn it into a wiki.
edit: Haha, answering 6 month too late. Gonna delete this post.

Press power button once to blank the screen, then, double press the power button to go straight back to the last you left open/running. This is certainly the case on Jolla1, untested on Xperia 10 II.

5 Likes

Nice one. Works on xa2, too.

Plan is that we start gathering general user Tips & Tricks to the docs. If you have good ideas, contributions are welcome as always. There are already good ones added here.

1 Like

I think, this should be implemented per web page and not in the browser. Like most of the websites have “Scroll to Top” option. I haven’t seen “Scroll to Bottom” though.

There are some other tips and tricks written in German on this site: Tipps & Tricks – Sailfishmods
And in English: Sailfish OS - Tips

1 Like

Thanks, nice tricks there.
For me, especially the " Reduce the popup time of accented characters"

1 quick question - how to install mcetool? I can’t find in this forum.

pkcon update
devel-su pkcon install mce-tools
3 Likes

“Disable the animation displayed when waking up device” - This really helped me as this little animation was annoying me for so loooong.

2 Likes

SailfishOS optimize speed by disabling transparency (hack): https://youtu.be/4QPk-bVZXyU

1 Like

In sailfish x in order to prevent the indefinitely spinning wheel at boot after submission of the unlock code, wait for 5 to 7 seconds before entering the unlock code, when the digits appear on the screen. Many times i were too impatient and had to reboot about 5 times until i got in.

2 Likes

Anyone found a bugreport related to this?