Nokiaish always-on screen on OLED devices

The famous Nokia N9 could leave the OLED screen when idle, displaying time and weather and maybe notifications in low-power-mode. Is it feasible to implement this feature on the recent officially supported OLED-devices like the Xperia 10ii?
Thanks in advance!

7 Likes

There is “low power mode” that can be simply activated. See this thread: Sony Xperia 10II - Low power mode

Problem is that clock in this mode are frozen and are not updated :smiley: So it is useful to setup this mode just for few minutes. It would be great when this mode gets official and proper support.

Oh wow, thank you for your reply! I was aware of the LPM mode since I already had it on my Jolla 1:-) I wasn’t clear that it could also be customized, though!
However, as long the screen content ia not updated, it probably doesn’t make sense to extend the LPM-screen timeout for too long. I guess it would properly make senae to utilize different pixels in OLED mode from every few seconds in order to prevent burn ins. Yes, official OLED support would really be great! Hope to aee that soon!

loknar299

Jun 10, 2014

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM 

LPM how to

szymeczek34 said:
It used to be in here: /usr/share/jolla-camera/presets/GstOMXMPEG4VideoEnc-omxmpeg4videoenc.prs
Although that was a long time ago on version around 1.0.0.25, it could have changed since then.
Did you manage to get LPM working on OPX? I miss it so much.

Edit. Yep, it's gone.

Exactly, and i didn’t managed to find it anywhere else.

Well, LPM was (and in a way still is) tough nut to crack, but what i did:

Enabling LPM (in terminal under root)
Code:

mcetool --set-low-power-mode=enabled

After this it’s there, but only for several seconds, i also added it as reaction to powerkey press
Code:

mcetool --set-powerkey-blanking=lpm

And because i want it there all the time (unlike Jolla’s we have AMOLED’s so we can afford it battery wise) this is how to change timeout:
Code:

mcetool --set-blank-from-lpm-on-timeout=130

(It’s in seconds, I started with one day - 86400, but unfortunately it doesn’t update [time stays the same “forever”], so it’s kind of pointless)
So to address this, with help of some older sailfish OS forum posts i created configuration, that updates LPM every minute, but only when it’s already active (pretty much switching it off and on immediately, since i didn’t find out how to just refresh it )
It has three parts:
Code:

lpm.service

file, that determines what to run - lpm.sh script in my case,
Code:

lpm.service

should be placed in
Code:

/etc/systemd/system/

Code:

lpm.timer

file, that sets how often should lpm.service run, should also be placed in
Code:

/etc/systemd/system/

and also it needs to be activated
Code:

systemctl enable lpm.timer

and started (or you can reboot, then it of course starts automatically, since it’s activated)
Code:

systemctl start lpm.timer

and finally
Code:

lpm.sh

script, that checks, whether system is active or locked and update when necessary (has to be runnable [chmod +x lpm.sh] of course)
Unfortunately, so far LPM consumes battery a lot (something between 1-2 % per hour), for me it is acceptable, and also if you need to get longer life, just put it display down, since proximity sensor switches LPM off (then it’s more like 1 % down in three hours).

lpm.timer:
Code:

[Unit]
Description=LPM Update

[Timer]
OnCalendar=--* ::00
#This means that service with the same name (lpm) is activated every minute

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

lpm.service
Code:

[Unit]
Description=LPM refresh

[Service]
ExecStart=/root/lpm.sh

lpm.sh (very simple, i hope it can be done better way, but so far i don’t know how)
Code:

#!/bin/bash
if grep mce /sys/power/wake_lock >/dev/null 2>&1
#checks whether phone is awake
then
if /usr/sbin/mcetool | /bin/grep Inactivity | /bin/grep inactive >/dev/null 2>&1
#checks whether LPM is active
then
/usr/sbin/mcetool -d
#switches display on
/usr/sbin/mcetool --blank-screen-lpm
#switches back to LPM, but with updated time
fi
fi

Reactions: kimmoli, elvarr, knauji and 1 other person

4 Likes