I was thinking about how we could better support the particulars of each device + address some of the behaviours of SFOS that have become a bit long in the tooth.
Basically fork off and package up the best patches, tweaks and services that are scattered across OpenRepos, this forum and elsewhere into a single (or 2, i’ll get to that in a second) RPM package that can be installed by users of a specific device, with the goal of making Sailfish as daily drivable on that device.
Given the most recent addition to my SF device stable is a Xperia 10 II (and the device I’m daily driving as my work phone, running paid X), I’m going to get the ball rolling here with specifics around that device.
Now there are going to be QOL tweaks and package that are applicable to all devices and maybe there should be a “Daily Driver” base package that includes the common tweaks with an additional “Daily Driver X device” package that if installed pulls in the base changes + the device specific ones.
Anywho, I’m hoping to A) crowdsource a list of common tweaks, patches and services and B) hardware specific ones (for the 10 II).
With any luck we can create a thread / device with a dedicated and maintained package on OpenRepos as the output.
Examples of the sorts of things I’m hoping for here…
- Disable the lock screen animations: mcetool --set-lockscreen-animation=disabled
- Swapping out the default weather app, daemon and event view with MeeCast by default (packages on OpenRepo for this, 3 in total)
- Reduce animation durations (Haven’t seen anything on this but we can all agree, the animation are all painfully slow)
- Disable swipe carousel between the task switcher and event view. Package for this on OpenRepos.
- I get why the gestures were designed with one handed use in mind, but having a “traditional” gesture setup that aligns itself with Android and iOS (without losing thet SFOS “magic”) might be a better default. We could collectively decide on what a “better” default gesture setup looks like in 2024.
- Any other common packages you run and think are essential.
10 II Specific:
- We have an OLED display on the 10 II/III, we should have a proper AOD using LPM as described here: Nokiaish always-on screen on OLED devices - #4 by smatkovi and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rMqIYKgCM4
- Setting the Keyboard height to something more appropriate for the tall and narrow aspect ratio of the X II and II etc: details of the changes included: Sailfish OS - Tips
- Disabling transparency on backgrounds - This should likely be a common thing as whatever mechanism they’re using for rendering their blur filters is not great but there is a patch for it included in this video (as well as a demo of it’s benefits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QPk-bVZXyU
Feel free to shout at me if you think this idea is silly or to discuss if you want to tease it out further but if you could be so kind,
When making a suggestion for an inclusion into either category, could you include whether it’s a generic (“common”) improvement or a “device specific” one and link to any resource, source, GitHub, OpenRepos link, patch file/service/script etc available.
Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts!