In Pure Maps at least, if you tap the icon with 9 dots, then select ‘Maps’, you can select a different map provider. It sounds like the maps from MapTiler could be more what you’re looking for.
Either way, your suggestions are all very sensible! I’ll ping @rinigus, the maintainer of Pure Maps. You might also consider posting your suggestions in the Pure Maps topic below, or on the Pure Maps GitHub page.
I’ve gotten my JP 2026 last Thursday. And I am positively surprised:
everything I need works out of the box, and
having two physical SIM slots plus an SD card slot works perfectly for me
Accordingly, the JP 2026 has replaced both my Xperias that I used before because I need a SIM card for work calls and a SIM card for private calls
App Support works nicely with all the banking apps, public transportation apps, Terms, Citrix … I need.
Even Whisperfish works now and replaced Molly. Another Android App I got writ of.
Backing up data from my Xperias and importing them to the JP 2026 also was quick and easy after I have hidden the large Pictures and Videos Folders (by renaming them with the help of Ichtyosaurus’ File Browser App) prior to backing up the rest.
Please check if the issues have been filed in Pure Maps github repo already. As for map styles, please consider working and contributing them. The way to contribute styles would depend on maps provider - ideally the work should be with them. For offline maps (OSM Scout Server), you can contribute via its project. Pure Maps and several maps providers are open source projects and usually contributions are welcome.
I did test that. I very much love how the albums are displayed. It was the first music player on Sailfish OS to catch my eye because of this. Pretty original I must say, congrats!
But the scanning of my 3000+ songs library took horribly long and heated my phone quite a lot. Also there was no visual cue to say that the songs were added to the scanning queue, so I accidentally ended up adding the same songs multiple times. I spent a lot of time removing the duplicates from the queue (probably that heated up my phone too). In the end I remember I was still unable to play some of the songs that were scanned (it was something by AC/DC if I remember well, so a flac file on my phone). Those ones can play just fine under Foobar, so fortunately the files weren’t corrupted or something.
If you plan to update it to fix the issues I encountered, can you, maybe, also add support for the wma format?
Much appreciated and wonderful work on the UI side!
Holly hell, that’s so big compared with other apps. I don’t remember if I tested this. Probably did not, thinking it was abandoned given how often NewPipe is updated (last update was on the 21st of August this year). Let me try it and I’ll edit my comment to say if I like it or not.
Edit: now I remember. I did try it. It felt pretty barebones compared to the original. And it felt weird that it automatically populated videos and channels when searching, instead of suggestions. Anyway, yes, in 2026, aproximately a year later, YouTube videos no longer load. I tried with a 20-minute long video, then with a 4-minute long video. Doesn’t load at all. Nor does downloading work.
I am no developer, so the most I could contribute is maybe with some translations. I was planning on raising issues though to the affected apps (including Pure Maps) for the people working on these projects to have a look. So far I only wanted to have a functional device for me with all I needed (I did not have enough time to go through every single thing and document what worked and what did not, I promise I will do it).
Thank you for your replies and for taking ypur time, though!
The phone connects to the car properly. Calls work normally. However, when I get out of the car, i.e. park it and turn it off. When I restart the car, the phone does not connect automatically. When I start the connection process, it cannot connect. I have to erase the phone and reconnect every time if I want to use Bluetooth.
Opening issues and testing is contribution as well. As for being not developer - map styling is so different for many developers from what they do usually that the starting point for devs and non-devs is rather similar. Its mainly of taking time and learning it. So, don’t yet get too discouraged to try. But first things first, get used to SFOS and find places where you could help to make it and its apps better. That’s the way I started - as a user - and ended up working on several aspects of SFOS that made it better.
Thanks for that comprehensive summary. I’ll be a first time Jolla user when I get mine so will likely refer back to this. As for
I fall into that category. My decision to go down the Jolla road was indeed, ‘political’ so my motivation is clear and I’ll be happy to learn as I go along.
I will write about my experiences as a first time sailfish user on the new Jolla Phone.
I’ve used it daily for two weeks. I’m from Sweden.
Given that there are 1095 post I haven’t found all things mentioned, so I’ll mention all, and you can complain later I’m not here to tell exclusively about “issues” or experiences that have not yet been mentioned, I’m telling about mine, should anyone care
Good
It’s easy to program apps for SFOS. I know that there already are version of what I’ve made, but I make them for a few reasons:
a, I might find the available not so pretty
b, I like a challange
c, it’s fun
d, I’ve got a use case not covered.
The apps are so far:
fiat lux - Light metering for analogue photography (will soon send to jolla store QA)
fiat mos - Habit tracker - I track my habits, how well I follow them, gym sessions, pages read in books over time. Flossing, Language practice. Anything. It’s not a task manager or to do list. It’s specifically recurring, traceable habits. (Has been in Jolla QA for a while, will post to chum when I get an account).
fiat agenda - A to do list with reminders and calendar sync, subtasks. Not much, but in the style of the fiat apps.
fiat vox - A simple chromatic tuner - there is one, sailtuner, just don’t like the way it looks. Also in the same style as the other fiat.
fiat cor - A simple metronome - for my practices, when I can’t bring the real one
fiat fortuna - a cointoss app.. haha, I sometimes flip a coin when I don’t know what to pick. But the coin is over 300 years old, so I don’t carry it to every place, so an app for this thing made sense. Might add dices and stuff to it as well, just for the fun of it.
The fiat thing is from Vulgatae: let there be light (Fiat lux). I’m a pompous prick sometimes ) But all with the best intentions!
2. I LOVE the community. It’s amazing.
3. Everything I need works. BankID (had to activate by visiting the bank though). Bank apps, stock apps, Swish, Proton Suite, Vibe, Claude, Security app for the house alarm, Pleco, parking apps,
4. I love discovering the apps. I’ve discovered a lot of new use cases for things in my life.
5. I love the Inari Blue back cover! I know it was only for the first people, but the blinking Jolla logo is the perfect reason to start talking about the phone and spreading the good news. I wouldn’t be angry if Jolla made it possible to order. I don’t like it for the exclusivity, it’s just pretty!
6. I love how many things are thought through from Jollas side. The dot pattern that goes through in apps also appear on the transparent phone protection. It’s just one of those nice details.
Most things work out of the box, and for the few that don’t I’ve just asked AI and it knows. , apart for perhaps the issues down below
”Issues”
I can’t make Swipe write wrote. Maybe it doesn’t exist, maybe it does. I haven’t found it yet and I miss it.
I use about 9 languages daily: Swedish, English, French, German, Chinese, Russian, Italian, Finnish and Japanese.
I have 4 issues:
A, swipeing to change language/keyboard layout is slow and messy when there’s more that 3 layouts. I’ve tried using Swedish, Chinese and Russian only, But it’s weird to write an azerty language like french on a qwerty. And I haven’t found autocorrect to work across several languages on one keyboard…
B, there’s no Japanese
C, simplified Chinese is only available via handwriting. And sure I can sign, but I tend to sometimes forget strokeorder, so Pinyin for simplified would be great
D, even though I type carefully I unintendingly switch keyboard all the time. It’s annoying.
I know these “issues” might not be common for many users, so I won’t make to much of a fuzz about it. BUT, swipe to change language could go, in my opinion. Fully aware that many might not think so.
Downloading files is tricky. I can’t seem to access things downloaded on the android sanbox, like a picture a friend sent me on proton email. I know there’s a bridge, but I have to many different emails and domains, and settings on the proton mail and can’t use the bridge in a meaningful way. I ended upp putting the picture on my drive, sending a link to my girlfriend who sent it to sms, and then downloaded from the native browser….
Backround pictures for ambiences. WHY do they zoom in regardless of size, aspect ration and anything. Like, Even if I make the picture exactly with the right pixel dimensions, it zooms in to a small portion of it. It’s really annoying,. I’ve never experienced such an issue anywhere on any device. Usually if somethings need cropping or zooming one can choose that oneself.
Native jolla camera app is unable to open the camera. Any camera. Even after restart. It’s just black. I was even able to write a small app to open it without any issue. I don’t get it. Even android apps get it open. So, swiping up to quickly catch a picture is impossible unless I myself can choose what camera app to use for the action. It’s sad, cause even if I don’t photograph with the camera to use it for real pictures, the quality isn’t up for the task, I still might wanna document something for later. Now I can’t with a swipe up.
Does the privacy button work? I’ve tried to use it to shut of the microphone, I can still make calls… And I don’t know if I can control that the button does anything, I can make some stuff like BT or place services grey out, still don’t know if’ they’re actually on, like the mic.
I think things you download inside the AAS goes into ~/android_storage/ and the next directory depends on the app and type of file, so keep looking where they go. Maybe Download, Documents or Pictures?
Yes it works, you should be able to slide it up and down, and the phone should vibrate when the state changes, and new icon should appear at the top left of the screen when it is on. You can change the action at Settings -> Privacy Switch.
You can access them with, for example the built in file explorer, and open them there or copy them to the home directory. If they are pictures, they should show up in the Gallery app, by swiping to the left to go to the directory selection view, where the Android Pictures directory should appear once there are some pictures inside it.
If the mic works when the privacy icon is shown, this is clearly a bug and should be reported to Jolla.